Notices

Do they ever go away ?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do they ever go away ?

Those nasty cravings. Day 80 for me so I am still in early recovery. They have lessened a little over time but some days its hard to concentrate. This past Tuesday was a rough day for me. Problems at work and at home. I know drinking only makes them worse but my AV was sounding very convincing and even started playing movies in my mind oshowing me leaving work early and picking up a bottle of Vodka on the way home. The movies are a recent addition to my struggles.

There are so many positive things that have happened since I quit. I can't go back to where I was. I tried talking to my somewhat supportive wife and all she had to say was I will always have the cravings. I am asking my more experienced long time sober SR family - do they ever go away or do I have a lifetime of cravings to look forward to?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They definitely do go away I'm at 1.5 years and they went away in the first couple of months for me... maybe even the first month. That's not to say I don't get the odd craving popping up to surprise me, cause I do. But I am getting pretty good at dealing with them.

Rest assured, for many people, the cravings do go away.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 80 days.

Originally Posted by ghostdad View Post
Those nasty cravings. Day 80 for me so I am still in early recovery. They have lessened a little over time but some days its hard to concentrate. This past Tuesday was a rough day for me. Problems at work and at home. I know drinking only makes them worse but my AV was sounding very convincing and even started playing movies in my mind oshowing me leaving work early and picking up a bottle of Vodka on the way home. The movies are a recent addition to my struggles.

There are so many positive things that have happened since I quit. I can't go back to where I was. I tried talking to my somewhat supportive wife and all she had to say was I will always have the cravings. I am asking my more experienced long time sober SR family - do they ever go away or do I have a lifetime of cravings to look forward to?
In addition to what your obviously successfully doing, read one of the following:
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol
(changes how you view alcohol....bye bye desire/cravings)

Jason Vale's Kick the Drink...easily.
Same concept/idea/book.
counter brainwashing, changes your perspective....bye bye desire/cravings.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

i haven't had a craving for over two years now they got less and less frequent over the first year , although they all had full on near panic intensity .

I keep on reminding myself how grim the drinking experience was for me .

Keep on , m
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ghostdad, I'm at day 88 today so not far in front of you.

Congrats on 80 days. That's huge and a great accomplishment.

I still get the cravings too. Mine don't get quite as bad as not being able to concentrate most of the time.

I don't have much more in the way of experience since i'm early on too. Just wanted to chime in and say great job on 80 days. Keep it up!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SoberJennie - I am jealous.

I feel the cravings are one of my last hurdles at getting over my addiction and I guess with 30+ years of drinking I can't expect miracles.

I do remind myself often why I quit and death is just not an option. Thanks AM - I will read your recommendations.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eventually grass grows on the paths that remain untrodden. It takes awhile, but if you can stay off that path i.e. keep from drinking then it will atrophy and fall into disuse. Other things will take up that space in your head.

Hopefully you don't fill it with something equally problematic
Old 10-03-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im going to look into those books as well. Thanks Mariner
Old 10-03-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some are born to endless night

Arise now Ghostdad...

....and drive your cart and plow over the bones of the dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WfbRJYKlM0
Old 10-03-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love it AM. I am rising from the dead - the fog is lifting.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

They definitely do ghostdad - it's not a lifetime ordeal

D
Old 10-03-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeap, as alcohol gets pushed out of the picture, new habits, new routines are formed, alcohol starts to loose it's grip and the thoughts of it become diluted and less frequent!!

Hang in there!!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
They definitely do ghostdad - it's not a lifetime ordeal

D
This
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ghostdad,

they require nothing from you except to let them pass. they will. and yes, they will lessen.

maybe...hm...the way i'm dealing with hot flushes is just the way i dealt with cravings: geeeez! here's one now! yikes! annoying....sigh....fine, now, what was i doing before i was so rudely interrupted? ah yes! i was just writing a post on SR

i did like to look behind and see what triggered them, though. figure that could give me some clues to where i had "work" to do.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You are seeing movies, scenarios of drinking play themselves in front of you? Try to watch them, not rush through them or stamp your foot until the credits roll, but really watch them. Observe all you can about them, how you are feeling, what reaction they cause, using all your senses.

As you experience the craving and see it leave you sober again, always sober, you can understand that all you need to do is absolutely nothing, the cravings pass on their own. That panic feeling is the feeling that you have to do SOMETHING, but you really don't. A deep breath, slow exhale, and phhhhht. Gone.

Next one, try smiling at it. Then give your supportive wife a hug and a squeeze. She'll like that. She deserves that, and you deserve a sober life. You are doing great, just keep doing what you are doing. You'll see how it gets easier, and your life will continue to get better.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostdad View Post
SoberJennie - I am jealous.

I feel the cravings are one of my last hurdles at getting over my addiction and I guess with 30+ years of drinking I can't expect miracles.

I do remind myself often why I quit and death is just not an option.
The way I dealt with mine was to be mindful and feel them fully as they came up. As Fini and Freshstart mentioned... feel them, and don't try and push them down, or distract. Distraction is great early on, but as you gain time, I believe feeling them fully and realizing them for what they are - temporary cravings - is the best way to permanently deal with them. They don't last long, typically 20-30 minutes or so. Then, gone. Sit with them, kind of like in buddhist meditation. It's about accepting things as they are, realizing you actually have a choice of whether to act on them or not.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am relieved that everyone who has been through this has said the cravings ultimately do go away. I am dealing with not ever drinking again and if the cravings didn't eventually go away it would have been torture.

Made it through the weekend sober and spent yesterday at the beach - just me and my wife. It was relaxing and fun and felt like a new experience because I was sober.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm nor sure they ever "go away". I've heard enough stories of old timers with 10, 20 even 30 years sobriety being hit with staggering cravings out of the blue to be convinced there is always the possibility they will rear up.

For my own experience; cravings definitely lessened after a few months. I haven't had what I'd call a craving in a long time. I've had 'fleeting thoughts' here and there. I've felt a little glum or blue about 'missing out'. I've had emotions arise about seeing other people drink and not being 'able to', but these pass more quickly and I'm far more able to see them for what they are now.

It will get easier. But will they ever "go away"? I don't know..... the evidence suggests that we may always be prone to them.