Notices

Facebook: yay or nay?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facebook: yay or nay?

What are your feelings about Facebook and how it helps or hinders your sobriety?

For me, I find it to be distracting and a negative influence on my sobriety. I deactivated my account 3 days ago and haven't missed it at all. When you are struggling in your life to get centered, it's hard to see everyone else "seeming" to be happy and all that. Of course I know that people only show what they want others to see... reality is much different. But still....
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was a distraction in general so I deleted it in 2011. Privacy at this point in my life is something I value. I still use Twitter, but carefully and sparingly. Never did Instagram. Pinterest is another story
Old 10-02-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been wondering the same thing. I am keeping my account. However I have pretty much replaced this site with Fbook. I find that I get depressed with how I have wasted the past 7 years of my life and am jealous of what other have ie wife kids great job etc... but i realize i have to keep in mind that very few people will post that there lives arent going as well as they would hope. I know there are more friends on fbook that are like me, but we wont advertise that. So right now, i would rather keep with a community of people I can relate to like here on SR
Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been on the fence about deactivating my account. I'm leaning more towards I should. Some days it really sets me off with the "comparison game" I play in my head.
Babies, travel, new homes and cars, et al.... (I know, I know...I don't know what their problems are..yadda yadda)....
I don't know why I'm hesitant. I should just do it.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

I love it,I have many friends on it that are also recovering Alcoholics,a few I met here on SR.

If I thought it had an adverse effect on my sobriety I would delete my account.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on FB but I do not post in the public feed about the fact that I am a recovering alcoholic nor do I post any recovery memes or slogans.

I did create a private group for a core group of woman that are friends in the program. I believe there are 10 of us. We post there if we have a problem, a comment, an anniversary etc. We also post daily affirmations and such but the only people that can see the group or see our posts are each other.

I was not sure the ladies would want to be a part of it at first but they all jumped in and enjoy it. Sometimes you just need support or to vent and it is a great place for that.

At this point almost every friend I have on FB is a recovery alcoholic and many of them are public about it and while I may not comment on some of their posts I do “like” them so it would not take a rocket science to figure it out but nobody has ever said anything or asked me.

To be full on out on the open on FB? Not for me. I am a private person and my recovery is mine.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
I've been on the fence about deactivating my account. I'm leaning more towards I should. Some days it really sets me off with the "comparison game" I play in my head.
Babies, travel, new homes and cars, et al.... (I know, I know...I don't know what their problems are..yadda yadda)....
I don't know why I'm hesitant. I should just do it.
It's easy to reactivate if you change your mind. Just log in again and all will be the same!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I deactivated my account about 3 years ago. One of the best decisions I have ever made, and not just for my sobriety.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I deactivated my Facebook account over 4 years ago and then deleted it about 7 months or so ago. I have never missed it.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Facebook is the only way most of my friends keep in touch with each other. Plus, it's really good for news etc. (I find out stuff going on in the world via my friends' feed sooner than I hear about it from other sources.)

It's a great time suck, though, so I work not to linger on it.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have friends from my quit smoking group on there and I get horse posts and chicken posts and cute animal pics and cute animal pics.
I might delete it at some point but just because it takes up time.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Deleted it and I am so much happier without it. I like twitter but don't post about my problem on there
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in a lot of extracurricular groups that depend on FB for updates, but aside from that I haven't been on it s much recently. I get sick of all the politics and people being fake/pushy/selling It Works wraps (ugh). And I just don't have much to say there.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm on FB, but I'm not big on posting status updates unless it's something funny or about my kids (or both). It would be really hard for me to give up because it's the main way I keep in touch with college friends, family, and stay current on neighborhood happenings. The only thing that bums me out is when my friends look amazing and I feel like a fat piece of ****. Other than that, I feel pretty good.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Never had an account but I know many who have deleted theirs including my wife and teenage children.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Deleted it......FB did two things for me;
Made me jealous of others people's idyllic lives (haaaaaaaa)
Made me wonder why I am so intrigued that Nancy's cat is so purrrrfect and everyone keeps hitting likes!!!! YIKES!

Also, concerned about their (lack of - data mining ) privacy policy.
Of course this could happen with any public forum where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy and people post. Anyone's posts/log entry information may be subjective to subpoena I suppose........
Old 10-02-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I deactivated my account 38 days ago. I am 38 days sober.

I also find it an unncecessary distraction from life, my problems, etc.

Not to mention so many drinking pictures & people glamorizing their lives. It's a big facade if you ask me.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I deactivated mine last night! I hardly ever checked it anymore. Just wanted the annoying email notifications to stop. Remember, people are only going to show their best on it. The shiny top 10% of their life. You won't see anyone commenting on how much their life sucks. They won't announce that they just got a DUI or that they caught their spouse cheating.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

FB is a waste of time. cant stand it.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nuffsEnuff View Post
I have been wondering the same thing. I am keeping my account. However I have pretty much replaced this site with Fbook. I find that I get depressed with how I have wasted the past 7 years of my life and am jealous of what other have ie wife kids great job etc... but i realize i have to keep in mind that very few people will post that there lives arent going as well as they would hope. I know there are more friends on fbook that are like me, but we wont advertise that. So right now, i would rather keep with a community of people I can relate to like here on SR
Nuffs, I feel the same way. I lost the past 8 years of my life to alcoholism while my old high school friends are on their 3rd child and buying bigger houses.