Notices

Stay Sober Here! Weekender Thread Oct 3-5

Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lightbulb Stay Sober Here! Weekender Thread Oct 3-5

Hey gang!!! Guess what time it is?

I have been noticing a lot of new folks around the board... People in need. How about we pull our weekender resources together and help show those in the very early days how to get through a weekend sober. Recount what it was like for you. Give ideas on how to handle those tougher moments.

Looking forward to this weeks soundtrack. Pictures of where you have been. What is going on in your kitchen. Let's show how much a sober life can offer!

Ready? ..... Welcome to your sober weekend!!!!

*Ring Ring*

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can't believe i got shotgun two weeks in a row!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd like to join this weekend.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Shotgun.

I'm calling it. Slide over, Gilmer.

What? There's five buses.

Welcome to all the people who are new. It seems there is a movement, "OctSober" - I think it's great. It's kind of like January 1, when we all vow to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great Idea, I don't know what I am doing or how this works, but I am up for NOT drinking this weekend...
Old 10-02-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this thread, I need this thread. My first sober weekend on the horizon.

Going to stock up on alternative drinks and maybe a chocolate here or there - my go to when AV starts jabbering nonsense.

I'll take the back of the bus - bumpy fun!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two nights ago I made Tandoori Chicken from scratch. At first the entire idea overwhelmed me; then I had coffee and a banana to perk me up, and I was ready for the challenge.

I went to our local Indian spice shop, and the shop clerk kindly picked out the appropriate spices for me (there were many varieties of every kind of spice). The spices were shockingly cheap and I got a huge amount. McCormick and Spice Island are such ripoffs in comparison!

The recipe recommended a spice mill, which I did not have, so I used a mortar and pestle to grind the spices, which I had roasted in my cast iron skillet. Everything crushed up pretty well eventually, except for the coriander seeds, which were like little B-Bs.

Then I mixed them all into a yogurt-based sauce and marinated some chicken leg quarters for a couple of hours.

We broiled the chicken for 5 minutes on each side, and it smelled like a burst of heaven!

Then we baked it for about a half hour more, and it was so tender and delicious.

So much better than our local Indian restaurant (and a lighter, school bus color, too, as opposed to reddish-orange). The restaurant must use a box mix!

Here's a link to the recipe if you want to try it:

Tandoori Chicken recipe

The house still smelled fantastic the next morning!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My tough time was - 10AM till 8PM every dang day of the week. I am not working. I live alone, no family. No one to monitor me or tell me to stop myself.

At first, I went to AA meetings. I went to 115 meetings in 90 days. It got me "suited up and showed up" - heck, it got me taking a shower and making my bed every day. I even brushed my teeth! It forced me to talk to people I didn't know. It got me out of the house and out of my own crazy thoughts. It showed me that my inner thoughts were whacked out - even though I thought I was just fine.

I drank herbal tea at night. I drank soda water with lime in the daytime. I limited my coffee to one cup a day to fight the serious anxiety I had coming off alcohol. I prayed. I read recovery material, I spent time here - a lot of time. Still do all that stuff. I slept as much as I could, stayed busy when I was up. Lots of Netflix in the beginning because I was feeling like crap. More praying. Some ice cream; as a matter of fact, quite a bit of sugar in that first month to ease the withdrawal of the alcohol.

You guys can do it. Treat yourselves like you are recovering from a life-threatening illness: because you are.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In
Old 10-02-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not shotgun again. I was sitting here monitoring and bam. Too late. Im in. Im sober. And I made ten months yestdrday. Thank you all. I hate typing on phone. See you all later.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Ruby!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ruby!!!! Congrats on 10 months! Woo hoo!

Barnumb and openW welcome to SR. and welcome to the weekender thread! We meet here same time ever weeke and talk about life and what we are doing to stay busy and stay sober. No real rules other than we are a team. And we leave no one behind.

If you flub... Speak up. We have been there and are willing to offer support or advice.

Oldself... Good to see you. All one word!

Hey Bimini and christinN

Gilmer I have been thinki about what I want to cook this weekend. You are goving me ideas.

Welcome to everyone who I did not mention! I see you piling on the sober bus!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I came downstairs today, I discovered my son-in-law had been busy cooking pancakes and bacon! That aroma was like a siren song luring me down the stairs!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In!

Congrats on ten months, Ruby!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yup me too
and congrats Ruby on 10 months! faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan tastic
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Yay Ruby!!!!

An OCD moment I would like to share:

I'd like to publicly point out Bimini's new avatar. Gorgeous and finally geographically less confusing. You see, Bimini, your last avatar had the beach on the right and the ocean on the left...something I associate with California. Yet you are in Florida...a place I associate with having the beach on the left and ocean on the right.

We need to talk with ESD now. Also in Florida, her avatar has the ocean to the north and the pier to the south. Another gorgeous, yet confusing scenario. And yes, this is a bit egocentric on my part.

Thank the heavens the weekend is here!!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I'm in!

Go, Ruby...Go, Ruby...Yay!

I had to find a drink that I loved that was non-alcoholic. In the beginning it was seltzer and lime, then La Croix water and now I drink a combination of Red Rooibos tea, a splash of juice (usually cherry or grape blend), lime and then seltzer water. I drink it all the time always have a mason jar of brewed tea in my fridge. I love it and I look forward to it when I get home from work the same way I used to look at wine but it's healthy!

Heading to PA tomorrow and my parents don't have wireless so I won't be able to post but I'll be here in spirit and wish the best for those just starting out. We all were there once and you can do this!

WEEEEEkenders Rule!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hmm early days ?
I found showers useful when cravings hit , a stocked freezer so that if i felt weak i didn't "have" to go to the supermarket ..
I also introduce to you the power of going to bed early and getting up early which helps put you in rhythm with the natural world .

In the first few weeks there will be bad days but it will get better if you just stick with it …
Sobriety for me is a two pronged attack you have to not drink , but then you have to learn with how to deal with difficult and painful stuff sober .

Off shopping for a newer car this weekend as my big old mercedes is beginning to have too many things wrong with it … i want something simple, efficient and comfy .

In for another weekend , m
Old 10-02-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

But... it's only Thursday!

Still-- in, with a great reason to stay sober: my daughter is volunteering at the local haunted house and will need to be driven to and from on Friday and Saturday nights. Designated driver for the win!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm going to sign up early. I NEED to get through a weekend here. I noticed all week my AV has been quiet until today. I'm going to my moms. It seems to be trying to use that as an excuse now. "A little wine with mommy will be ok"
Come on you little jerk. Leave me alone already.