Notices

Stay Sober Here! Weekender Thread Oct 3-5

Old 10-02-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Friday Evening.

Return home after work. (Not via hotel bottleshop as usual.)

Early evening...supermarket for weekend supplies. (Tomato Juice..love it)

Call son....see what he want's to do Sunday, on school holiday...so maybe he'd rather go out to eat
Sat night?

Couple of hours on hobby project....(listen to doco radio....has flow that music radio doesn't for me)

Cook....um what? Sushi. Bit fiddly, roll up, prawn, smoke salmon, avocado

TV Dinner....Doco TV

Maybe start new book

Bed late and hope for sleep.

Saturday morning.

Early walk for papers. Maybe feeling a bit weird, not hungover?

Check in S.R.

Shower

Traditional heartstarter coffee, newspaper....toast and leftover smoked salmon.

Study newspapers....read the commentary bits, flip thru the review and see if Jeremy Clarkson's rant column is back.

Late morning.....call my mother. She'll be surprised....I'm usually very absent on Saturday's which she finds a long day.
Drive out there....maybe take something for lunch. After lunch we might go for a short drive to local plant nursery...need
some new plants. Cup of tea, fill up her firewood barrow...drive home for afternoon session downstairs cleaning car undersides.
Workshop time....radio for company. Get workshop sorted...haven't spent time down there over winter, too cold.

Sat afternoon/evening will be a tough bit. Beer o'clock will roll around 3-4 ish...and I've been so good, done okay, few Carlsbergs
would be good...etc...etc...

Check in S.R.......

Evening...

Maybe out to eat with J.?

Now....here's a thing. I like JG Ballard's writing. Tonight there is the Spielberg film of Empire of the Sun. Never seen it. But
just checked the tv guide online. I never do that. I'll watch that...it's long. Normally I'd have no idea that it was on...probably
crashed out from that time.....so there's something new for the weekend.

Check in S.R.....again.

Sleep Sat night? It'd be good.

Sunday morning dawns....this will be new territory. S.R. report.

Sunday might be a Get Out Of The House Day.

Could go in a few different directions....might go visiting....

Okay....I have a plan... tho it's flexible...
Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Rico1983

Hey heyyy the weekend is almost here! Days 13-15 coming up for me

I'm flying out of town this weekend, seeing a concert Friday and then my brother Sat/Sun. In all those situations I'd never be without a beer in my hand, but I feel good about it. I keep telling myself how I feel the next day after a bender and that has worked so far!

Glad to know you'll all be here too. I should be able to read & post on the go

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery

Old 10-02-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Excellent plan, canguy!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Alt, I will challenge you to consider something.

It was not the liberation of booze that made our poetry better. It was the tragedy we were making of our lives that made poetry.
I have considered that. When rereading them and the responses from them when, for whatever reason, they show up in blogs again, they are not tragedy, but beauty and perfectly timed word play. Even though I know where they came from, they make me feel good.

While in the writing class last winter I felt triggered a LOT bc I wanted that "wow" again. I ended up dropping out of the class bc I wasn't able to balance it. I knew I didn't want to relapse and I can live with never writing again.

My belief is the alcohol reduced the inhibitions of being judged and being perfect. I'm still a recovering perfectionist. Alcohol was my solution to perfectionism.

Trach - here's a funny story. I was working on a quilt and it was a kit quilt. There was a problem in the kit and one of the pieces was incorrect. My friend made (and in 'made,' I mean strongly and very sweetly helped me) go ahead using the incorrect piece. It drove me nutso. However, now that the quilt is done, no one can tell the piece is incorrect, the quilt is beautiful, and the world didn't fall off its axis bc the quilt top isn't perfect. LOL!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'm IN!

So many new faces! This is kick-A!!!

I think a couple peeps mentioned crazy, I had to rejoinder with my contribution to the weekend soundtrack:

Not much planned. Well, yes and no. LOL. AA meeting + meet with sponsor tomorrow night. Job applications continue, and my part-time gig as home health caregiver kicks off Saturday morning with a shift from 9-1. Nervous.

Also starting to pack up the apartment. Oh joy! (... NOT ...)

As for staying sober and riding the waves of desire, I found distraction helped the most. And being around sober people. I'm a super social gadfly, when I realized I could socialize with sober people and not be considered weird for not drinking, that really, REALLY helped it click for me.

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Yay! I'm in. This will be my third sober weekend.
This made me grin from ear to ear! Congrats josharon!!!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Alt, I never said the poems were tragic.

I used to write funny stuff. Limericks, funny haiku, light things. But, I had to drink to write. I can't manage a toothpaste jingle now.

Like you, I can do without it.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm back! I don't have to type on my terrible phone. Welcome every new person on here. And hi and thanks to everyone who is returning. Coming on this thread once I discovered it really helped make weekends easier. And see how that one day at a time stretched out? Although, it's been wearing thin this past couple of weeks with the kitchen redo.

Ok, not to bore everyone and anyone, my advice when you are first getting sober, do not undertake projects or activities which are inherently extremely stressful. Kitchen renovations fall in that category. My AV has been crying louder lately but I'm not giving in. I may just try crying louder than the AV to drown it out. And maybe I will feel better after crying. My brain is nowhere near work when I'm at work. It's kind of like thinking about drinking at the end of the day or week. It drowns out everything else and you obsess about the drinking at the expense of the all else. I'm obsessed about getting a working kitchen back.

Project is currently stalled. However, it will start moving on Saturday. The guy who was doing a lot of the work really, really botched the bases for the bottom cabinets. They are so awful we are going to take them apart and rebuild them ourselves. My dad has table saw and knowledge and can coach me through.

Second, I bought this gorgeous porcelain enameled cast iron sink yesterday. The granite guy came today to measure for the counters and said the sink is too big. Apparently my eyes were bigger than my stomach, so to speak, and I bought it without thinking to measure it. I'm having trouble with finding a sink which will fit. Standard base cabinets are 24 inches deep, which mine are, but there is only 19 inches of space between the cross supports. Sigh. I think I found a different but similar sink but can't go see it until Saturday. Meanwhile my husband and I have been fighting a lot. Or rather, having heated discussions.

Oh, and for everyone here last weekend for my mother in law killing my microwave, the replacement microwave arrived on Tuesday. Pretty fast. We ordered it on amazon. I was impressed. Amazon even has the kitchen sink I'm hoping will fit, listed pretty inexpensively and with free shipping. Amazon - not just for books anymore! It has everything including the kitchen sink!

I'm going to don boxing gloves and hit the heavy bag in the basement. I need it!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

There once was a man named Trach
Whose teeth were very black
He looked at his paste
And said with distaste
Now why would I ever use THAT!

See? I can't manage a toothpaste jingle either. That was awful. But fun. LOL.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

But before I do go, Charlee, have fun at the reunion this weekend! Have a safe drive. We will be with you in spirit!

PK, we don't have road worthiness inspections. But they do have vehicle emissions testing that you have to submit to when your car hits X number of miles. You could have missing parts all over the place but so long as you don't pollute you are ok.

Dang I'm obsessing about the kitchen. I wasted the counter guys time by coming to measure today but at least I got the heads up on the sink. Not too late to call them and have them come out again. I have to go think about this some more but first I'm going to clean up around here. That's another thing I did in early sobriety - kept busy cleaning stuff.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Amazon - not just for books anymore! It has everything including the kitchen sink!
Ruby, this absolutely cracked me up!! Thank you for the laugh, I needed that
Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I dunno, Rogue. I liked that. Very good.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Limericks

There was once a Poet named Rogue
Whose Limericks were surely in vogue
Her rhyming, quite fine
Perfected each line
And, no one matched efforts so bogue
Burma Shave

Burma Shave Jingles

-----
Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Liked the jingle, that is! I got a laugh out of that. Humor helps in sobriety too. .
Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Ooooohhhh no, what did I start

There once was a man named MesaMan
Whose alcoholic ways had kicked the can
He'd shoot scenic shots
And share myriad thoughts
While celebrating life with Grand Canyon plans.

Okay, that was even worse. MM you definitely have the knack! Totally impressed. I almost went with "A man named Mesa" but rhyming Mesa seems to limit me to cerveza ... well, I'm sure there could be a version 2.0, inclusive of you kicking the cerveza.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Count Dem Syllables...

That's the secret. The number of Syllables has to match, and be exact. In theory, anyway...

THEN, you/I pick out the key ending Words to match. 'Rogue' is tough, but not impossible.

A Kitchen Magician named Ruby
Tore into her House, sans a Doobie
The Workmen were slack
And lacked the sure knack
To have it not suck like some Newbie

Burma Shave
Old 10-02-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Bunchanuts

Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I'd rather be a bunchanuts sober
Than in a ditch keeled over.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

And courtesy of Google, FWIW:

" A limerick is a humorous poem consisting of five lines. The first, second, and fifth lines must have seven to ten syllables while rhyming and having the same verbal rhythm. The third and fourth lines only have to have five to seven syllables, and have to rhyme with each other and have the same rhythm."
Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Out west lives a Man called Mesa
Who smartly gave up cervesa
He lives at the top
of a canyon slot
Is his wife's name Theresa?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Okay, so we are crazy. I'm all for it. Big BIG raccoon on my back porch. Too dark to get a picture.