Notices

Stay Sober Here! Weekender Thread Oct 3-5

Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Tough Enough

Yah, the Title of a Song above from 'The Fabulous Thunderbirds', but I'll post something else germane below.

The early days/2 or 3 weeks after sucking it up and Detoxing at Home were mighty rough, to be sure. I'd never Relapsed umpteen times because I'd never tried seriously all that many times to sober up. I'd already up and quit for ~1.5 years prior, but then received a lil Xmas 'Box' of Single Malts from a Relative who knew my preferences. D'OH! And, off the Wagon I voluntarily went Big Time.

While Detoxing, I just kept moving and kept busy, and developed a new Routine; however senseless. The substantial, overt Physical Symptoms 'rinsed out', as I call it, in about 5 days. The Big Light came on: hey, I can do this and - looky here - I'm already feeling quite a bit better. This 'clarity' thing just might be OK as a permanent Lifestyle shift.

Seltzer was my 'go to' Liquid. About Week 3, I recall another shift whereby I stepped upward to feeling better in a noticeable way. That new 'Benchmark' of feeling and presence was reinforcing because it caused me to not want to drop back into 'Persistent Stupor'. That is the Clinical Term for when you have a continuous buzz on, and your Body Chemistry never really processes out of it. I was there in Persistent Stupor - Big Time - and it was memorably different to not be 'in it' anymore. Going to the Dog Park. Driving. Grocery Shopping. Dry heaving. Blacking out.

I didn't have to avoid Bars [gone to only for occasional Food] or Store Liquor Aisles for more than a few months because they weren't Triggers anymore. What I did avoid were Dinners or Engagements where I was the only non-Drinker. Still kinda hate that Guano, and refuse to do it more than only occasionally. Why? As I go along now-Sober, it's really just not a Large Deal. Sobriety, that is. However, in small Group settings, it magnifies [to me] to become a Big Deal. I have no desire to grab and swill a Drink just sitting there. But, all the Mental crapola of having to strategize and get through the Evening - even if there's not sloppy Drunks to suffer through - seems like a very unnecessary PITA that I resent. For what? Eff that. I can't be bothered. Situations dismissed cannot be problematic.

My POV is: I got myself into this Guano. I'll get myself out; if only to prove that I can. Personally, it's very liberating - and practical - to not be dependent on Meetings or daily Sponsor Calls or Drugs. But, that's just me. I walk around in my lil Self Sufficient Force Field of Sobriety; sort of like a totally-independent 'Back To The Land' Person who raises their own Food, or builds their own House [which I did]. We all gravitate to the Recovery Method that works and is sustainable, and SR helped me a few months after I quit to discover the name and structure of that 'best' Method [for me]. Referencing the Post Title above, I had to prove to myself that I was mentally 'Tough Enough'. Only then would I effortlessly sustain Sobriety out in the World. 9 months in next week, I'm on Sober Cruise Control.

In other News, we got drizzled on in 40 F Degrees last night at Tom Petty/Steve Winwood. Today, of course, is gorgeous and Sunny. As it will be tomorrow night when they play the last of their 3 nights at 'Red Rocks' Amphitheater. Since the Weather precluded using a Scrim, Images were projected onto the Rocks behind the Stage. I was trippin' on a Sober Concert - not my first - and simply People Watched. In this Pot-legal State, Concerts are not for the easily-triggered. No problem-o for me.

I made my Big Plan, and it might as well be etched in Kryptonite. From sustained Sobriety, 'I Won't Back Down'...

Video Music Link

'I Won't Back Down' ~ Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tom Petty_1_750.jpg (40.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in!!!! Thanks for the recipe Gilmer!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm in, too
Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
I'm going to sign up early. I NEED to get through a weekend here. I noticed all week my AV has been quiet until today. I'm going to my moms. It seems to be trying to use that as an excuse now. "A little wine with mommy will be ok"
Come on you little jerk. Leave me alone already.
How about telling your Mom about your struggles with alcohol? It might bring your relief. It really helps taking that option off the table completely.

Hellooooooooooo, weekenders, I'm in!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have Melki, I don't think she is going to present any. But my guard is up just in case.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

sober buses... I want my spot near by the window
Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Just arrived back from my car MOT this evening, not sure what it's called elsewhere in the world, but it's like a road worthiness test a car has to go through each year to stay on the road, thankfully it passed, this time last year it failed and I had to go back to my garage, which ended up a very expensive business, this time though like the Sober bus I'll be chugging along all weekend long!!

My first weekend was all about keeping my mind occupied, distraction is the addict's friend, and I wasn't really feeling like running a marathon either, with little energy due to withdrawals and not feeling like doing much it was a bit of a challenge, but I filled the time with box sets, movies, plenty of snacks, online games and SR, support was key, when I felt like "forget this" I signed into SR and leaned on others that had been there or were going through the same thing.

Let's do this!!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
nmd

I'm in for the sober weekend!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yay! I'm in. This will be my third sober weekend. My sons have baseball and soccer, so that will take up some time and energy. Laundry, always (which is weirdly a trigger for me). It's supposed to be chilly here in DC, which is super exciting because hello, it's October, so I think I will bake and/or make something in the Crock Pot, and I ordered some new flannel sheets for our bed. We usually see my brother and his family, which is great because my niece and nephew are ages 3 and 1...so cute!!! Let's go all in and do this, guys!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My weekend starts tonite. Have dinner plans with friends this is gonna be a challenge .i don't know how to handle this.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am so in. Scared, but excited too. I know I can do this. I know I have to do this. My son has a few hockey games, there is a ton of stuff that I need to do around the house that I have been neglecting as well. Flannel sheets and tandoori chicken sound heavenly ! I am going to try that tea mixture. I have been searching for an alternative native to just plain seltzer water, as that was my vodka mixer . Next weekend is Canadian thanksgiving , that's going to be tough....but one day at a time, right?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ellay, I always thought that holidays would be huge triggers/tests too. But now I'm getting kind of excited to set the table, make my house warm and festive...the things that gradually started to slip in the last couple years of my drinking.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Count me in!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Purpleknight, in the United States, most states have the equivalent of MOTs, too--ours are called state inspections.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Okay

Gonna try for a weekend with you guys......

Hope there will be people around......

Lying in bed, feeling like s**t.....the garbage truck in the street arrives. Always know when its picking up my bin....the rattling cascade of bottles and cans.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Do your best

Surfing on the top Teenwolf style per usual LOL

Well done ruby on 10 months !!!

and congrats pk on passing MOT
Old 10-02-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello! I am in for my first sober weekend in weeks. Many have you have already provided me encouragement, thank you!
DearPrudance, I am also DD this weekend both nights. For me that has NEVER happened lol

Ah Ha Hush That Fuss, Everybody Move to The Back of the Bus
Old 10-02-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello weekenders. I'm in new surroundings and alone. Two day drive. Woke up yesterday and drove final 6.5 hours to hospital. Head south and make a right a Charlottesville. Arrived later to a refrigerator full of beer and wine. Tempted but had some ginger ales.
my to do list has become enormous. Yesterday was year anniversary og my bilaw's passing. Sister was in hosp with tubes and connected to machines. Today stomach tube pulled. Still nothing by mouth. I will be in charge of diet.
actually good she wasn't home alone on anniversary of death. But in hospital isn't pleasant
Old 10-02-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Congrats on the 9 months MesaMan!!!

WOW... so many new folks!!! so many I am afraid to try and list you all and miss anyone... so how about a big welcome to the weekender.

Post through any cravings. Dont be shy. Post as much as you need. I did that in the beginning.

LB... I will keep you and your sister in mind this weekend. Keep us posted on how you are doing. Can you dump that beer?

Canguy... I used to hate taking out the recyclables when there were bottle after bottle of Jager and whisky. I get that.

Working from home tomorrow. So will be here. I love being able to do laundry and get work done at home.

Pizza night!! Gym in the morning. LOL

K