Notices

Stay Sober Here! Weekender Thread Oct 3-5

Old 10-04-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Saturday! I treated myself to a non hungover workout, followed by a beautiful bouquet of flowers ( figured I would have spent the $$ on wine)
I went to a meeting - which was my third. I was sitting there not really relating, and thinking that there isn't much in there for me, until the end with the Lord's prayer..I am not overly religious but I had an overwhelming urge to cry and one of my last binges came flashing back. I then related.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Hello, all! Just checking in to say I have been staying sober this weekend. Such a busy thread! I'll have to catch up later.

If procrastination is the thief of time, drinking is the thief of time "and so much more!" It just washes away one's time, motivation, energy and inspiration, as well as money, health and reputation.

Been out to get groceries and came home with good food and nothing alcoholic.

Weather is finally drying up and cooling off a little here.

Browsing books, movies, art and music production sites to stimulate creativity. Might work on a project or two this weekend. Or just enjoy the stretched out hours of healthy sober time. Hmm, time for a nap.

As others have said, I can either drink, or do a bunch of other things -- but not both.

"I can do no things through Drink, which weakens me."

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

I'm going to the movies tonight with my mom. All I want to do on this day 6 is EAT! She's making a huge spaghetti dinner and as far as the movie...I don't even know what it's called. I just want a load of popcorn. Big ole day 7 is tomorrow. This time I would like to make it through. I have a lot if driving tomorrow so that should fix it.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hey y'all! I'm sober on day nine. Last night was really tough. I broke down crying but did not cave to my cravings and I'm so glad. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Puppies In Truck

Welp, this is the closest Pic I could find in a quick Search.

Great Weather here, and detailed my new Truck this morning after waking up early. We both had to take Naps just now; kinda unusual around here.

Da Wife is feeling better, and is being tested for What Ails Her; some unknown. Maybe Giardia from some unknown source; maybe some other Bug. Not the Flu [or so it seems]. Getting her to the Doc this morning by 7 A.M. could explain the need for Naps!

Anyhoo, we're getting together with Pals tonight for Dinner out, and to Ketchup with them. First, the Dog Park beckons. No stopping by an Open Space Parking Lot anymore to first slug down some Vodka. My present Liquor/Stress-free Lifestyle suits me [and my Wallet] much better. Highly recommended!

A clever lil Vid, here. Staying Sober is a bit of hard work, and a bit of magic, eh?

Video Music Link

'Magic' ~ The Cars

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Puppies In Truck.jpg (36.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-04-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hi stayingsober72, congratulations for hanging in there! This first sober weekend has been a little tougher than I thought....so I understand the waves of emotion. It's nice to have found this site and be able to correspond with folks that absolutely know how it feels. Best of luck.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Without either alcohol or hangover, yesterday seemed like such a long, full busy day. And there's another coming up today. A weekend that alcohol hasn't thieved. Thanks Forgetfulkevin, what you say is so true.

So, Sunday morning for me. Sleep not so good. But wake up feeling 100% on the normal.

Son came over for takeaways last night and dvds and stayed over. First time I can recall we've done that in years. That can't happen if I'm drinking. Took my mother out shopping yesterday afternoon.....that can't happen...., etc. Can drive, go somewhere...another can't etc.

I forfeit a lot for drinking.....and have done.

Anyway.

Heading into Sunday now.....reading here often and following all of you and your thoughts and progress. All the best, guys.....

Later.....
Old 10-04-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

So happy for you, canguy!!!

I just calculated - it's day 101 for me! I rock too!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Great going canguy! Staying busy here too, still Saturday early evening but will not leave house this evening.....looking for a good Sunday morning also.

Yep, you (and melki) both rock.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

We all rock!

Good for you, fromadistance, staying busy, staying close to home and safe spots. I am vegging out binging on Top Chef (thanks LeTheVerte!). Almost not feeling guilty about it! Never enjoyed being sick so much...
Old 10-04-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Yeah melki, my wife had to run an errand a couple of hours ago at a weak time for me....so I put keys to my ride in her glove compartment so I couldn't leave! Don't trust myself yet. BTW, I appreciate the encouragement.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Good call! Do whatever you need to do to get through this time.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Popping in to say hi, everybody!

Busy last night, went to the six o'clock meeting, then to a coffee shop to meet with my sponsor. We were there until ten. Funny-ish story. We're sitting outside, because it's a nice night. Talking about the first step (I'm now on step two). There's an O'Reilly's Auto Parts across the parking lot from the coffee shop; some folks are arguing, a cop shows up. Then about five minutes later there's a cop in the Target parking lot across the street, lights and all. Then at the west side of the intersection someone gets pulled over.

THEN, we hear a siren and a cop is RACING down the street in front of us. Startling someone in a red sedan, they swerve and smash into a white Lexus beside them, on the east side of the intersection. Cop roars by.

Not three minutes later (we figure he called it in) all kinds of first responders show up.

We're sitting there, sober, with our AA literature and coffee and water, watching the ruckus of a Friday night in Dallas all around us.

So there was immense gratitude. And no one got hurt in the wreck, thankfully. But it was SO bizarre, that there was a cop before there was a wreck. My brain did a head-fake, LOL.

~~~

This morning I went "to work" which entailed taking a little old lady to a cemetery to visit her husband. It was ... an amazing experience. I learned soooo much in those few hours. Wow. Humbled.

Then noon meeting.

Have spent this afternoon sorting out my old work clothes, some to gift away and the rest for the garbage. It's been tough. Soooo many memories, albeit alcohol-laced, I still fancy wearing rose-colored glasses about it. Meh.

The bags are next to the door. It's simply a matter of trekking them to the dumpster. I have to think of it like ripping off a band-aid. Just do it already, Rogue!

So instead though, I commenced sorting through papers and downsizing. I don't have too much stuff so packing to move by the 19th shouldn't take more than a couple days, once I have the necessary boxes. It's mostly books and clothes and toiletries.

Headed to *another* meeting tonight. With all the change in my life, I need a short tether.

Monday starts the full-time caregiver role. I worry a little, because what with ebola in my area and it being a "caregiver disease" my risk of contraction could potentially be greater. But I keep telling myself, I can't really control it, so let it be.

Glad to see so many new faces plugging through We are definitely not alone. Big hugs, everyone!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

roguedreams, I LOVE reading your posts and finding out about your progress. Take that trip to the dumpster on your way to tonight's meeting.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Morning all.

Woke up sober and bright-eyed this morning. The sun is shining and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. I went to el mercado and brought my big burlap sack and came home with a huge haul! Pineapple, banonitos, celery, cabbage, onion, carrots, limes, chicken, sausage, eggs, tortillas, zuchinni....the list goes on! I felt like a sherpa carrying all this stuff home. I think I got a little sunburned too, it's so bright and warm outside with a perfect breeze. So great to get all the weekend shopping done so soon. Home now, all the windows are open and I've been up to the terrace as well and set up my camera for the day. I can hear the fountains running outside - we have little fish in them also, kinda cool.

I will make a run to the electronics store later, and hit the city center for some coffee and perhaps a brownie. Oh, who am I kidding - of COURSE I'll get a brownie. Or maybe some lime tart? Absolutely loving being sober on this day.
THIS sounds like heaven on earth to me, BigSombrero!!!

We went out for a drive today and of course my camera came with. What a wonderful experience. . . I ran into a lady out in the middle of nowhere and she and I were in early recovery together. Yeah, I was trying to photograph an old bridge and she comes walking up from a hiking trail by the river. What joy to see her and know that, no matter where I am, I am loved, supported and accountable.

And what a blessing for them that we were there, too. As they were getting ready to leave, her bike wouldn't start. After a bit of tinkering, hubby and I stayed with her pretty new bike while they went to town to get what they needed for it. It was such a perfect godsend on a perfect day out in the woods by the river.

I love random things like that in life. I love my life.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Turned out OK that your husband was sick, didn't it?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Welp, this is the closest Pic I could find in a quick Search.
-----
THAT IS IT! Thanks, MesaMan.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Turned out OK that your husband was sick, didn't it?
Yes, it is, Gilmer. He sat in the sun while I trekked around taking photos. He loved just being outside and "resting." Yep, all things work out the way they are supposed to. What a blessed day.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Yeah melki, my wife had to run an errand a couple of hours ago at a weak time for me....so I put keys to my ride in her glove compartment so I couldn't leave! Don't trust myself yet. BTW, I appreciate the encouragement.
I used to lock my keys in my car. LOL! Yep, whatever we have to do to take care of ourselves is a WIN in my book. We have to guard our sobriety above all else, so if errands don't get run, dinner dates get canceled, leaving a celebration early, then so be it. We need to selfishly guard it. YAY for you for doing that, Distance. Very cool!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Ruby!!!! Congrats on 10 months! Woo hoo!

Barnumb and openW welcome to SR. and welcome to the weekender thread! We meet here same time ever weeke and talk about life and what we are doing to stay busy and stay sober. No real rules other than we are a team. And we leave no one behind.

If you flub... Speak up. We have been there and are willing to offer support or advice.

Oldself... Good to see you. All one word!

Hey Bimini and christinN

Gilmer I have been thinki about what I want to cook this weekend. You are goving me ideas.

Welcome to everyone who I did not mention! I see you piling on the sober bus!
Thank you for including me and explaining. Still staying strong. Read a bit about PAWS. Scary how much further I have to go.