Notices

Feeling dizzy and sick after stopping drinking

Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling dizzy and sick after stopping drinking

Today is my 4th day without a drink after drinking heavily everyday for the last 6 months.. Last night after I finished my meal, i felt dizzy all of a sudden, my hands froze and I went pale white, felt sick and couldnt move for couple of seconds. I think my blood pressure dropped suddenly. After laying down thinking why it happened, i fell asleep for 14 hours straight, and I still feel weak and dizzy this morning though not as bad. Could it be alcohol withdrawal causing this? If yes, how long will it last? I hope I havent damaged my liver.. I am 27 yr old male, ive been drinking for the last 10 years.. I would like to hear your comments on this. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hard to say. We aren't allowed or qualified to give medical advice. Withdrawal can be dangerous and it's wise to consult a doctor. In extreme cases it can be fatal and is nothing to mess with. It's hard to predict ahead of time. I was a three bottle of wine per day drinker; we're talking 7/365. Surprisingly when I quit I had no withdrawal symptoms. I didn't know back then how dangerous it would have been but I was so desperate to quit I maybe wouldn't have cared.

My advice is to keep a close watch on it. If you still feel this way go to the ER. Withdrawal can be a serious matter.

Good luck to you! Early sobriety is hard but it's worth it.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I’ll strongly suggest seeing your doctor or ER help AND BEING HONEST ABOUT YOUR ALCOHOL CONSUMMATION. Hopefully it’s normal withdrawal from the toxins we fed ourselves for a period of time.
It can be very dangerous if unattended.

BE WELL
Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had similar things happen when I first had a period of not drinking. Couldn't eat, felt dizzy and anxious. This was over ten years ago and at the time I never put two and two together to think it was withdrawal related. You are ahead of me on that front. As hard as it might be, I recommend going to the doctor and be honest about your alcohol consumption. Withdrawal can be dangerous. Just don't drink to try feeling better.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The body is not invincible, and it can't wipe away years of drinking in a matter of days!!

Have you checked in with a Dr to make sure your doing things safely?!!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You really need to see a doctor. After 10 years of heavy drinking, you can't just quit without serious health implications. Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome can manifest itself in different ways. Get to a hospital or your doctor pronto!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto
Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sounds scary. I would go to the doctor. Take care and let us know how you're doing.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd definitely see a Dr. Even if it proves to be nothing, you'll have peace of mind Sebaz

D
Old 10-02-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd definitely see a Dr. Even if it proves to be nothing, you'll have peace of mind Sebaz

D
This
Old 10-02-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That happened to me also and I was completely unaware of withdrawal symptoms that can last for quite some time. Everyone is different and has their own unique reaction to quitting drinking. For me feeling unwell after eating was linked to hypoglycemia and it gradually went away after about a month or so. I'm impressed by MythofSysiphus for having no symptoms. I was 1 to 2 bottles of wine per day and had all kinds of withdrawal symptoms in the early weeks. If you open up to a doctor about where your at you should get good medical support. They take this health issue very seriously and will not brush you off.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please talk to your dr for your safety.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It could be a host of things. Def see a doctor. And please dont drive yourself to see him/her.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I felt many different versions of terrible the first week. I was too lethargic to move but too anxious to sit still. Never again!!! The only reprieve was sleep.