Notices

Do you think alcohol should be criminalized?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Just so everyone knows, I agree that criminalizing alcohol would be fruitless. I was playing devil's advocate in some posts. Interesting to hear what people think!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

there are to many people in the world who drink doesnt have the effect on them like it does to me
so why should they be punished for something they enjoy and can handle all because i can not ?

its me that has a problem with the booze not everyone else.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

How about this? Folks like us, those who have problems with alcohol need to step up to the plate and accept Personal Responsibility. We need laws and "have tos" in a civilized world. I can't destroy my neighbors property if I'm in a snit and not be expected to makeot whole again. I can't invent my own rules when I'm driving out among others as it's important we all are on the same page to be safe and not hurt anyone else.

I have no business drinking, so now I don't.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-01-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post
I think all drugs and alcohol have an ultimate benifit for society, considering there is no way to stop production with a demand. The benifit is that we are all slowly learning as a specie that these things are bad. During this global realization we fight in the trenches to overcome addiction. This makes us all very strong individuals and we will teach our children, something most of us didnt get. One day, maybe 500 years into the future, there may not be a demand at all. Our specie would be much more wise once we reach this point.

Change erupts from pain. Microscopic on the individual level is where the battle is fought. Macroscopic is who we are as a specie. This was kinda abstract so I hope my point is understood.
That is a really interesting way of looking at it SoberComposer!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
there are to many people in the world who drink doesnt have the effect on them like it does to me
so why should they be punished for something they enjoy and can handle all because i can not ?

its me that has a problem with the booze not everyone else.
Fair enough on your comment about your problem nobody else's....

but the rest your just plain wrong about you cant make claims on knowing all these ppl neither can i

punished ?

by making crack illegal is that punishing the crack addicts who dont get some of the effects that some other crack addicts get

why should they be punished for something they can enjoy and handle
Old 10-01-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
How about this? Folks like us, those who have problems with alcohol need to step up to the plate and accept Personal Responsibility.
Personal responsibility? I read about that in an ancient text. I think the concept has been pretty much destroyed, at least in the USA. Pity.

BTW, I am born and raised in America
Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

art, how about we invent it, Personal Responsibility as part of our own ethic?

XXOO Lenina
Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post

would you want a law enacted that would make it illegal to buy booze?
No, for I know plenty that can drink just one occasionally.

Although it should be illegal for drunks such as myself to drink booze.

But, it just don't work that way.

Warning: If you are alcoholic you may not buy this product.

MM
Old 10-01-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

No. I also believe adults have a responsibility to make good choices, and that more laws aren't the answer. Just as I vote for a woman's rights to her own reproductive choices, I'd vote against criminalizing alcohol use. It's like right to bear arms, and the right of free speech... though there's a lunatic fringe out there, I don't desire to punish responsible, upstanding, moral citizens in order to control the nuts. We deserve the right to make our own choices, not have a government impose them across the board.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hmm. Pot is being legalized slowly in this country. So then we make booze illegal. Yeah that'll work. Stoners are really mellooow.
Personally I think the government should stay the hell out of just about everything. They typically make all they get involved with worse and it costs us trillions. But that's a subject for another forum.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
That is the multi-billion dollar question. Why are so many people so darned unhappy with "reality" that they have to turn to booze and other substances to "cope"?

I have my thoughts on the answer to that question, but it might quickly turn into a slug-fest if I posted them.
Exactly my thinking, I was recently on vacation in a remote area where it was just beautiful. I couldn't believe it when I came back from a hike to find a person shooting up heroin or something similar in plain view in a National Forest parking area. I was so sad on the way back to the hotel. I can't fathom why we as a species has so many issues. It was depressing. In the old days I would have turned to my drug of choice alcohol to deal with such an incident. Instead I feel this great joy in not having to succumb to the bottle anymore. I'm free from the chains it feels like.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Prohibition was a dismal failure then, and would be again if it was brought back now.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post

Yes, but for the millions who have problems with it, wouldn't it be worth making it unavailable to them, even if it prohibited normal drinkers from getting it too?
Not worth it. Alcohol--legal or illegal--will always be available.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Legalize all drugs and tax them like crazy to discourage broad use, and to pay to take care of the addicted segment of society. It is the socially sensible thing to do since supply and demand will always work itself out, laws or no laws.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I value my "choice" not to drink. At one time of my life, I lived in a remote northern village where alcohol was on a "ration" system. Gosh, that was about 20 years ago..and on a weekend a 26 oz. bottle of booze could go for $200 easy. People would spend that cash to get their fix..whilst their children went hungry. Booze was so hard to come by...the hard core cravers drank things like hairspray and ..well, in one instance 3 young men died after drinking gasline anti-freeze. Bootleggers made a killing...over a government decision...

Just like they did in prohibition.
Criminalization .and/or government control is no solution.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
mpr

No. Just because some people have a problem does not mean it should be illegal as many have no problem with alcohol.

Not to mention hard drugs are illegal and that doesn't stop people from getting their fix.