Notices

Coming clean

Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
It sounds like you grew up with very few boundaries and a lot of enmeshment. I did, too. Do a lot of reading on boundaries, codependency and toxic relationships. That being said, the number one thing to do is to focus on getting sober. Make that number one above all else. By physically taking care of yourself, you will naturally gravitate towards taking care of yourself all f the way around. Fake it until you make it.
Fake it till you make it - I like that. Yes, lots of broken boundaries and interference. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Go at it again, but remember the feeling, alcohol didn't fix much, it made things worse.

Build on that and keep moving forward!!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Have you read "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle?

I also thought my emotions controlled my life, hence, I would drink in reaction. Through Tolle, I learned that they do not control me, they are just feelings. I can feel them, recognize them for what they are and let them go.
I have not read "A New Earth," but when I learned about just feeling a feeling, acknowledging them for what they are and then letting them go was life changing for me. It was then that I was able to have a quiet mind. Having a quiet mind was a shocker for me, too. I do not ever remembering having a quiet mind before that. Whew, what a blessing it was to learn that. Perhaps I need to read the book. LOL!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Thank you! It sounds like you have been there yourself. I never dreamed how stressful care taking can be! In addition, I had no help from anyone, not even my brothers. So it took a giant effort. But, I would never have left my mom to live alone thousands of miles away in a house she could not manage. And I would never put her in a facility. But, that is not the point I guess.

It is hard for me to take care of my emotional needs. I feel selfish doing that. Was brought up to deny yourself and help others. And I try to help people, including my brother. He has been a long time alcoholic who has destroyed his life and is now drinking himself to death. He wants to die and has stated so many times. I can't help him, although I have tried many times over the years.

One thing my mom said before she passed away is that I should take of my brother when she is gone. How?? I think he has alcoholic psychosis which is why he thinks I killed my mother.

So the question is this: how does one start to take care of themselves when all of their life they ignored their needs and put others first?
It was tough for me to learn, too, bc I was raised the same way. Also, I had co-dependency issues. It can start with actually scheduling time for yourself. Don't give that time to anything else but you to do what it is you do. Exercise, healthful living, meditation, ...

Personally, the mornings are mine! I don't allow anyone to interfere with my time in the mornings. It is when I do the things that are important to me, for me, that would otherwise get put on the bottom of the list or get skipped. Once I was in recovery this became vital. I know that I'm absolutely no good to anyone if I don't have myself centered. And when I'm not centered and focused, I'm more prone to relapse, and then we all know where THAT ends up.

Focus on your health and well being because you are worth it and you deserve it. It is amazing how your wellness will radiate out and touch everything around you. Praying for you.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

So the question is this: how does one start to take care of themselves when all of their life they ignored their needs and put others first?
For me it was making different decisions, decisions based on my own self worth and needs.

In the beginning, sure, there was an element of fake it until I make it, but I found the more I lived my life like I mattered the more true that became.

I think we've touched on this before, but I learned to trust my own judgement rather that relying on or reacting to others opinions of me.

I decided I didn't need that external validation anymore.

D