Notices

New here

Old 09-30-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hey everyone -

Have passively viewed these forums in the past.
Just wanted to post I guess if nothing else than to get this off my chest and hopefully some support.

Basically I'm in my late 20s, partied a lot in college and whatnot. Never drank daily, but am also able to go out for dinner and have a beer or glass of wine without needed to get drunk. Currently post-grad educated and in a good job, drinking has never made me miss work since I don't go crazy when I know I have something to do the next day

I guess over the past couple years I have drank less in total frequency, but when I do I just go on a couple day bender and then it takes me like 3-5 days to get feeling 'normal' again. Sleep is the worst - makes my anxiety worse when I can't sleep and just makes the cycle awful.

I seem to just go overboard when I know that I have 3-4 days off in a row or something - which is awful because of how much like garbage I feel on my days off for basically 2 days of a drunken stupor.

Just sucks because I enjoy the social beer or two every once in a while, but every once in a while like I said when I know I have time off something just snaps and I drink like there is no tomorrow - which isn't even that fun at the time or definitely after.

I guess I'm getting closer to the realization that I might need to just cut alcohol out all together.

I don't know that I am mentally ready to go to AA or anything right now, but I do know that these episodes aren't good - and I hate the way that I feel right now.

Sorry for the length post, again just wanted to get this off my chest.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi A

Getting sober is hard but with time effort and a willingness to accept that alcohol just aint doing it no more

youl get there

Nice to meet you
Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, A0

I posted something similar when I first joined (9 days ago), and someone pointed out to me the active word in my post was "yet."

You've yet to miss work. You've yet to become a daily drinker. Maybe none of these things will happen, but the fact you're here posting shows you've a concern things may get out of hand.

They just haven't. Yet.

Thanks for sharing your story--it wasn't too long at all!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, A08, to the posting side of SR.

If you have been lurking for a while you probably already know there is an abundance on alcoholism on this site and how understanding and encouraging the members are.

Again, welcome.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, A082586! I too had a major case of the "yets." I still let those thoughts creep in sometimes because I was still in the functional stage of my addiction when I stopped drinking about 2 weeks ago, but posting here helps me a LOT.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow thanks for the encouraging posts already everyone.
I'm just praying I can get some sleep tonight. The insomnia and the mental guilt and anxiety and sweats are the worst part of the 'hangovers that last 3-4 days that I have slowly realized are no longer hangovers'

Thanks for the support
Old 09-30-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome, A08, to the posting side of SR.

If you have been lurking for a while you probably already know there is an abundance on alcoholism on this site and how understanding and encouraging the members are.

Again, welcome.
Ooops.

Meant - an abundance of information on alcoholism on this site.