Notices

Newcomer

Old 07-25-2004, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Newcomer

this is my first day to join this group and my first day of keeping track of my sobriety. I have a few addictions I would like to let go as they do not serve me. One adiction seems to lead to another untill they create a snowball effect and then I make **** poor decisions, that I cant afford to do... Its cool that there is a place like this. I know what i want for myself, and it will require a complete life style and attitude change. I have been told by many that I have an addictive personality (what ever that means...) I have been drinking and using since about 15 or 16. I use to convince myself that it was ok because I was successful in every other area of my life (school, work, sports, ect) but it did require lying. I dont want to lie anymore especially to myself... Day One here we go... any one else out there want a sober friend, let me know.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Welcome to you!!! We ALL want more sober friends. I can relate to alot of what you said. I am an alkie/pothead with just over 5 months clean and sober. I used to kid myself that even though I knew I was an alcoholic, I was okay because I had a good job, got a college degree, had a nice place to live, a car, etc. Then I lost my job due to drinking. I am so glad that was all it took. It could have been so much worse. My "bottom" was more of a spiritual and emotional one, rather than one people could see.

Keep posting! Others will be along shortly!
Old 07-25-2004, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by wanalive03
I dont want to lie anymore especially to myself... Day One here we go... any one else out there want a sober friend, let me know.
Welcome! We're only as sick as the secrets we keep.
No more lies and the healing begins.
I'm glad you're here.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY WANNALIVE,WELCOME.I'M TED ALCOHOLIC/ADDICT.
THERE IS HOPE FOR PEOPLE LIKE US,GLAD YOUR HERE!
KEEP COMING BACK...........ted
Old 07-25-2004, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((((((((Wanalive))))))))
Welcome to online SoberRecovery (Online Recovery 101). I had many successes but plenty of failure as well. Please consider me as a "YET" for yourself and one of your many new Friends. Today is a blessing as even my failures have turned into some of my greatest assets in helping others thanks to Alcoholics Anonymous, a solid Sponsor, & a Power much greater than myself.

Look forward to reading more of your posts and hopefully catching up with you live-time in the chatroom.

((((((((Wanalive)))))))),
ThreeLegs
Old 07-25-2004, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you all for your support. I actually bottomed out last fri night. I got drunk with a Maraine that i just met hanging out by the hot tub. Usually 4-6 beers and i call it a night... a few more and the Maraine said he wanted to go to the titty bar as he was enlisting again and would be in iraq soon ... I thought that i would tag along with this guy because it seemed like he needed a friend and he was distressed from the first four years of his service...I am no stranger to blowing off steam with the boys (usually i am the somewhat level headed one when we are all drunk)... i figured I could handle myself and considered my self an exceptional drunk driver, as i actually passed I sobriety test once after a days worth of drinking. I was wrong i cant handle myself drinking ... That soldier can drink...and I did too. I am no stanger to being around drugs either and have experimented with just about everything except herroine. Lots of drugs get passed around those clubs and with in a few hours we were back at my place using drugs that I am ashamed to talk about. When the guy left my place 36 some odd hours later...i reflected on the experience that I had and felt real bad...we didnt even bring any dancers home... but i realized that i was poisining my self when I felt my mind dying overnight... and feeling like a shell of a person. I dont belive I am physically addicted to any drugs right now, besides cigarettes ... But I am giving it all up... because a few innocent beers and its real easy to forget who i am.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Welcome to SR! And congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. We are all in this together. There's alot of experience, strength and hope here!! So make yourself at home!!

Missy
Old 07-25-2004, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by wanalive03
... i figured I could handle myself and considered my self an exceptional drunk driver, as i actually passed I sobriety test once after a days worth of drinking.
Read that again.
And again.
And again.
And be grateful you haven't killed anyone yet.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Dan... Like I dont feel bad enough already. I have been able to be on drugs or drunk and "fool" my parents growing up, my coaches in school, my ex-girlfriends, and yes on one occasion the police too... This IS NOT SOMETHING I AM PROUD OF!!!! Most of all I have been fooling myself. Among my friends and places I have visited, intoxicated driving is not socially unceptable... as there are many levels of drunkeness. I need new friends and new places. I am sorry if I offended anyone. I know there are people who have lost loved ones to this disease
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

No offense taken at all.
And not trying to make you feel bad.
Nope. Not one bit.
You see, you and I are alike. One and the same in many respects.
I want you to have what I have now.
Freedom.
It's just that the words exceptional and drunk driver in the same sentence really jump out I guess. My comments are not only for you, but for all to see.
And a real big reminder for myself, first and foremost.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Wannalive
Glad you found this place. You can expect to hear people share their experience, strength and hope... and honesty about our disease.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Wanalive
I'm Rowan, alcoholic. I'm glad you're here, and want to congratulate your decision to give up the high cost of low living. I would recommend checking out AA meetings in your area; a support network is a must for this alcoholic. Keep coming back.
Rowan
Old 07-25-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Welcome to SR!!! ((((huggys))))
Old 07-25-2004, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. What a great place this is. A bunch of recovering drunks and drug addicts helping one another by sharing our experience, strength, and hope with each other. Keep coming around and get to know us.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome wannalive03 im going throught he same situation and its nice to see you here . congrats on 1 day and may many more come . look forward to chatting with you
Old 07-26-2004, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome fellow Texan!
We're glad your here!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you Wana. I had a week under my belt until Sat. when I slipped up. Back on track again...one day at a time. I try to stay busy especially in the evening....I mainly lurk here and get losts of strength from many posters. Go down to Zilker and rent a canoe Keep up the good work!!!!

Fraidy
Old 07-26-2004, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome wanna live. They say we will hear our own story from others and I just heard a whole chapter of mine in your sharing.

I had a friedn who's father was a State Police Commander. He allowed us to come into the station one night after we had had some drinks and I was the most sober of the group. Naturally I took this as a sign that I was impervious to the effects. Funny thing was within 15 years I had been arrested 3 times and of those other 4 guys, one may have gotten a DWI.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Welcome Wanalive!

I'm Ann, alkie and addict.

Congradulations on your decision to become clean and sober. And welcome to Fraidy!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

Wanalive

Hi and welcome to SR. You've come to the right place. Most of us here, if not all, can relate to your story. We all want the same thing, sobriety. We all have struggled from h3ll and back. I know for one, I've driven drunk, more then once. I'm extremely grateful nothing "bad" happened, as I know you are as well. This is a tight knit gang and we support one another, when we need to draw strength. I hope you continue to come back when you need support. It's a great comfort to know you're not alone. I'm glad you chose sobriety and together we can work through our troubles. Again, welcome and congratulations on day one. Take care.

One day at a time,

Talia