Notices

Need help! Student, professional engineer, addict

Old 09-30-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HarmfulThingsConsumeMe

Need help! Student, professional engineer, addict

This is the first time I have ever reached out for help.

Back Story (we all have one): Former athlete devastated by a catastrophic knee injury (sports related but I won't go into detail unless asked).

History: It started with Vicodin, for pain at first, once that started to not cut the pain of my 9 month recovery I started experimenting with insufflation of the 10/325 Vicodin... in the same time period I began to supplement the Vicodin with Xanax. 0.5mg to begin with but by the end of my required bed rest (9 months later) I was, on average, snorting 40 mg of the 10/325 Vicodin in addition to 2-4mg of Xanax... 8 months of physical therapy, a devastating end to a long term relationship (I'm not young and she was one whom I thought was the ONE...), a visit to my surgeon (best in the area, God rest his soul... *********, M.D.) and after a second, third, and fourth opinion (I knew by the second) that my sports career was over... Harder pill to swallow than any I have abused... So I used it as a reason to continue my escape from reality, via pills... Four years has passed since my year of of bed res, physical, emotional, and personal turmoil... My substance abuse has not expanded to other substances (occasional weed, and/or very rarely alcohol but never together) but I feel myself after my 5 years of use (for the first time) to struggle to perform every day duties as a student/professional.

First questions: What damage have I done so far and what will continued use do to me? What long term effects does snorting 10/325 Vicodin and 2-4 mg of Xanax have on my nasal cavity?

Second question: Help? How? Where? When? Please!

P.S. If you want to know more about my story please do not be bashful about asking.

Last edited by Dee74; 09-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, you will find a ton of support here. However, for your specific medical questions, not as much as we are not allowed to give medical advice. I would suggest seeing a doctor about your concerns. That said, one thing is for certain, continued use will only make things worse and worse.
We can all relate to the turmoil that you feel though.
I'd like to know more about your story, do share. What kind of athlete were you? I am sorry about your injury, I know that must have been devastating.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Jayson. It is good to see you. I'm sorry that you have had to suffer these horrible body blows. You will find lots of support at SR.

As far as your specific questions, I don't know, because my drug of choice was alcohol; however, we have a special section here dedicated to substance abuse in which others have experience:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-30-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would book a doctors apt
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Specifically, you need to visit an ENT to determine the damage from 4 years of snorting, then learn pain management while detoxing from your DOC.
Most doctors are not addiction specific, if you want to quit, ask for a referral to someone who can help you break the dependency and be aware that this might best be done inpatient.
Its good that you see this now, i hope you get help. Most importantly, be honest about your intake.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jayson

I don;t have any experience with the drugs you mention, but I do suffer from chronic pain. I'd see a Dr and discuss all your concerns with them for a start?

For support - you'll find a lot of it here...and maybe something like NA is worth looking into?

D
Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jayson: Alright, knee injury? Leave it up to me to ask lol