Notices

I'm new around here

Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Keep it up, sister...

Cravings get less and less. They surface for me unexpectedly. The hardest time for me is when I get home from work. Today I made a good (& strong) cup of coffee in my French press, took a walk and admired the yellow leaved birch trees (& crisp air), came home & watched a movie. It was a mellow night, relaxing. I find that if I just do something else (often movement - walk, workout, dance - it goes away quickly.

I'm feeling too good about my sobriety to drink. It was hardest in the first week. Feeling more and more normal/natural each day.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

im just past 3 days and still dealing with depression and self loathing. I have talk to several people that to some extent or another we will still have cravings. Right now i want a beer and i guess all we can do is choose not to. Im new here to sansa and still trying to find my way too, ive never tried this before so its all new
Old 10-01-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying. It's so good to have somewhere to check in, to have someone to talk to. I threw out my wine rack today. Put it in the garden and used it to put a creeping plant on. I don't need it anymore. I'll never keep wine in my house again.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The first week can tough but it does get better. Heartcore is right-have a plan in place-do something instead of drinking. Replace the bad habit with a healthy one-walking, working out etc...Have something to do when you are in the house even if it is just a crossword puzzle, reading a book.....

I know this sounds unhealthy but in my first week, sugar was my best friend. Sugar in the form of chocolate-even better. Be kind to yourself and just take it one day at a time.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi, Sansa and welcome! Most of us have tried every "moderation trick" in the book. The funny thing is when you realize that normal drinkers don't have moderation tricks. If you are a normal drinker, moderation comes naturally. If moderation doesn't come naturally, that is your big, red flag suggesting that sobriety is the answer for you. And frankly, I like sobriety so much, I feel sorry for drinkers.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Struggling today. Day 6.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 10-03-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm so happy you're checking in!!

No tips beyond - hang in there!! The first three days are the hardest, & you're almost through!

You'll deal with tiredness for a while, and emotions for a long while, but the body sick immediate withdrawal is on it's downward curve right about now.

You need liquids. Sugar helps (everybody talks about ice cream. I baked a giant batch of brownies & ate the whole pan over the first 2 weeks). Your body is used to getting lots of sugar from alcohol. There is plenty of time for healthy eating later. Eat what you desire right now. Treat yourself like you're recovering! Because you are!

Walks, movies, baths, showers, food, liquids, rest.

You might decide to go to an AA meeting - it is a support for some. I like them, and go almost daily for now.

Others will have more advice. I'm happy to hear from you; I was wondering how it was going.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had seen the previous post, thought you were back on day three, now I see you're at six. Wow! Time flies when you're doing a kick-a** job of getting sober!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you're feeling a little better now Sansas...the first weekends are rough but if you can get through them the next one are bound to be a little better

D
Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you so much heart core. I'm having a bath right now! Lol I've been feeling so flat today. Vague, nauseous and headachey. I'm guessing that's all normal? Might have to go and grab myself some ice cream.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks dee. This is my first weekend. So hard!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

When, if ever, will I start to feel better?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

When people start to feel better is different for everyone. I felt much better after the first 2 weeks. Your body is going through a lot right now. Give it time. Congrats on 6 days!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You're doing great! I'm on day 17 now, and things are starting to get much better. The mental fogginess has started to lift, which was the worst part for me. Hang in there and keep going. You can do this.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
When, if ever, will I start to feel better?
Soon, very soon. Remember, we spent a lot of time beating ourselves up. Be patient with healing.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Day 7 here. Still going. So irritable and angry. I wonder if my brain will ever be happy again by itself, without the buzz from alcohol.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I never caved today. I was in the car with my husband and I asked if we could stop and get a bottle of wine. He refused to do it. That's the only thing that stopped me. If I was on my own I would've bought it.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Should say nearly caved! Not never
Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Keep going. You are doing great. It is very tough for awhile, but it really, truly does get better. I'm glad your husband has your back. That's a huge help!