Notices

Alcoholism in the Office

Old 09-29-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism in the Office

Alcoholism has got me fired from 5 jobs in a 5 year span alone (2007-2012)

Job 1 - I got fired because I sent a drunken email to boss on a Friday night accusing him of stealing something from me (sales, 5 months)).

Job 2 - I got fired for showing up the first day drunk (reeked).

Job 3 - I got fired for showing up the 1st day drunk (bumped into a wall, reeked).

Job 4 - Fired for inappropiate comment on 3rd day(they didn't know I was drinking)

Job 5 - Fired for arguing with the boss about being late (was drinking, she didnt know 7 months)

That's how much a grip the booze had on me that I would show up the FIRST day to a job intoxicated.

W T F???
Old 09-29-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Try owning the company and not being able to fire yourself.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeap, alcohol can make anything seem normal, it can get into every area of life.

But we don't have to go back to them days!!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the tricky thing about alcoholism for me was that I never seemed to "learn my lesson" even when bad things happened. I would "tone it down" for awhile and then I was back at it. I guess the big scares finally added up. Too bad I had to put myself and everyone in my life through that. I hope you have had the last of the terrible job endings too!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't been fired from a job but I certainly jumped before I was pushed. I remember being called to meetings by my ex boss who was keeping a list of deadlines I wasn't meeting and other things, like the way I was dressing( very casual clothes, unkempt, looked terrible). I knew she was on to me so I walked. Unfortunately I repeated similar behaviours in other jobs and left before things got too bad. Up until recently I thought that no one would have guessed but now I know it's more likely that everyone knew. I had an appointment today with a mortgage broker and it was obvious he was still drunk/ very hungover. He acted fine but the bloodshot eyes and fruity smell gave it away. Such a horrible disease
Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcohol is the great remover
Old 09-30-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
I think the tricky thing about alcoholism for me was that I never seemed to "learn my lesson" even when bad things happened. I would "tone it down" for awhile and then I was back at it. I guess the big scares finally added up. Too bad I had to put myself and everyone in my life through that. I hope you have had the last of the terrible job endings too!
I never learned my lesson. Besides my firings, I had a DUI, multiple arrests, fights, injuries, ran up my credit, got evicted, gained 50 pounds etc. Yet, somehow none of this really ever bothered me as long as I could go home and drink.

Now that I am sober, I have to deal with this mess. I don't even know where to start to rebuild my life. I am 38, no driver license, no credit, criminal record (DUI), and no employer references. How am I gonna find an employer??
Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

create one.

stay sober and you will be able to find what you can do well
Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seriously, have you thought about becoming self-employed? What do you want to do? What is your educational background, and what was your professional path prior to derailing it with drinking? It may be a possibility worth considering, especially since you seem to have some free time and could use a positive distraction. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US we have an agency called the Small Business Administration and they have some resources, plus non-profits and the public workforce development system. I wish you the best of luck, wastinglife.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Such good points.

Wastinglife, I'm glad you're putting the pieces together. Never too late to get your poop in a group