SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Finally! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/346413-finally.html)

Buggirl 09-29-2014 11:49 AM

Finally!

As I have put in previous posts this week, I have had a couple of long relapses since i managed 32 days sober in August/Sept.

I just want to say how greatful I am for this forum! I am taking today as my new day one! I know I have now learnt lessons that will help me and know the triggers that set it all off again!

I know that it was that I thought I could moderate my drinking and had chosen to ignore the advice so many of you gave as I thought I was an exception!

Having been down again, I know that I am merely a mortal with a drink addiction and as such will always aim never to take that first drink again! I thank you all in advance for the support I know I will get going forward and I know that I have to keep on pushing through!

Thanks

luvmygirls 09-29-2014 11:51 AM

Awesome, buggirl! I'm so happy you're feeling good!!!

LBrain 09-29-2014 11:59 AM

so this is it? I'm glad you finally realized that some of us can no longer experiment and just accept the fact that 1 drink is always too many.
Welcome to the non-drinkers club.

PurpleKnight 09-29-2014 12:08 PM

You can do this Buggirl!! You can finally make this happen and turn a corner!! :)

Buggirl 09-29-2014 02:13 PM

Hi guys just going to bed on day one, did it! But days 2-3 were a nightmare last time, then days 14-17. Problem is, my birthday is around the day 14-27 mark. Any advice and I promise I will listen this time!

JD4010 09-29-2014 02:17 PM

Yay, Buggirl!!

Buggirl 09-29-2014 02:18 PM

Thanks!

jryan19982 09-29-2014 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Buggirl (Post 4926404)
Hi guys just going to bed on day one, did it! But days 2-3 were a nightmare last time, then days 14-17. Problem is, my birthday is around the day 14-27 mark. Any advice and I promise I will listen this time!

Where you a beer drinking or mixed drink drinker? I tend to find Cranberry juice and sprite can sort of itch that itch for a cran vodka...

biminiblue 09-29-2014 02:36 PM

There will always be some "reason" to drink. I drank because I was alcoholic. Birthdays, Tuesdays, angry, happy, tired, bored, excited, whatever.

A birthday is a day to enjoy, not wake up the next day hungover and feeling guilty.

Plan something exciting that you've always wanted to do. Skydiving, white water rafting, waterskiing, rock climbing. Something that doesn't lend itself to cocktails.

Wastinglife 09-29-2014 02:42 PM

Use the force Buggirl!!

What you can't just stay home or go to movie on your b-day?

Is it a 'milestone' b-day: 21,30,40?

Dee74 09-29-2014 02:54 PM

Some of my very best birthdays have been sober ones BG.
I reckon a celebration should celebrate life and well being, not tear at it like a mad dog :)

Congrats on day one :)

D

SoberComposer 09-29-2014 05:00 PM

I am so happy for you Buggirl! It took me so many freakin "controlling" attempts to know what I know now.

You are amazing and deserve to be continually happy!

I did manage a somewhat controlled drinking pattern for 6 of 7 days a week.. it suuucked.. then I benged on Friday. Controlling is like flying to a beachouse resort with friends and then getting sick and being stuck in the room while your friends are having a blast. Much harder and less satisfying then just quiting.

Much love and respect,

-Michael

Buggirl 09-29-2014 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jryan19982 (Post 4926435)
Where you a beer drinking or mixed drink drinker? I tend to find Cranberry juice and sprite can sort of itch that itch for a cran vodka...

I was a mainly beer/real ale kind of a girl. I did actually like the taste of some ales, but it's the alcohol! Thanks for the tip though. I will try it all the same as it sounds refreshing!:thanks

Buggirl 09-29-2014 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 4926442)
There will always be some "reason" to drink. I drank because I was alcoholic. Birthdays, Tuesdays, angry, happy, tired, bored, excited, whatever.

A birthday is a day to enjoy, not wake up the next day hungover and feeling guilty.

Plan something exciting that you've always wanted to do. Skydiving, white water rafting, waterskiing, rock climbing. Something that doesn't lend itself to cocktails.

I like your advice, thank you!

Buggirl 09-29-2014 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wastinglife (Post 4926448)
Use the force Buggirl!!

What you can't just stay home or go to movie on your b-day?

Is it a 'milestone' b-day: 21,30,40?

I will try and use the force! Lol. I have planned to go with my partner and folks to visit my sister, her husband and her two little girls. She is not a big drinker, so should be safe - ish!

Buggirl 09-29-2014 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by SoberComposer (Post 4926671)
I am so happy for you Buggirl! It took me so many freakin "controlling" attempts to know what I know now.

You are amazing and deserve to be continually happy!

I did manage a somewhat controlled drinking pattern for 6 of 7 days a week.. it suuucked.. then I benged on Friday. Controlling is like flying to a beachouse resort with friends and then getting sick and being stuck in the room while your friends are having a blast. Much harder and less satisfying then just quiting.

Much love and respect,

-Michael

Thanks for being there friend :thanks

Treerat66 09-30-2014 12:48 AM

Good morning Buggirl.

Day 2, stay strong :)

Meraviglioso 09-30-2014 01:03 AM

YOu can do this bug girl! We are all rooting for you.

Buggirl 09-30-2014 11:23 AM

Day 2 and feeling good!

AlexEmk 09-30-2014 12:00 PM

Good luck on your battle Buggirl!!

I love your signature by the way!
:)

enjoy your sober day!