Notices

Hello! New!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello! New!

Hello, I am new here... So I guess I should tell you how I ended up here.
About 5 years ago.. I started drinking heavily before it was never really an issue.. I'd have a few beers and laughs with friends and then something completely changed in me.. Maybe it was the hardships of life that drove me to this addiction that's going to be with me for life.. As time went on I started having troubles sleeping, So I would drink a pint of Alcohol everynight just so I could sleep. If I didn't have it, i'd be up really late and I really didn't think much of it either. My parents didn't seem to care what I was doing and neither did I. It never really affected my friendships or relationships until a year ago. I never realized how much of a hollow shell I became because of it. My girlfriend at the time was pregnant with my son.. I'd come home from working outside all day and all I wanted to do was relax and drink and then go to bed. I quit drinking in Febuary of 2014, I just recently this month relapsed and drank 3 days straight (Sep 4th - Sep 7th) I dont know exactly what it is but I just feel like I have anxiety all the time when I'm not drinking , My emotions are all over the place. My dreams are crazy and mostly of my ex and my son. I havent drank since and it's really bothered me because I was doing so well. So after than I've decided to sign up here, maybe I can find some sort of support here when I'm alone.
My friends and family don't really understand. They don't think I have an issue. I really do though. I'm aware I'm an alcoholic. I can't stop when I drink.
I guess I'll end my rant.

Thanks
-John
Old 09-29-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to sober recovery
Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Revis/John.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Congrats on your sober time! Put your relapse behind you and focus on getting back on track. Anxiety sucks, and it was one of my major triggers as well. The one thing that really worked for me was 30-45 minutes of running a day...I know, sounds awful. But once it became a habit (and believe me, it gets very addictive after a few months) it would melt anxiety away.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Hi and welcome. Congrats on your sober time! Put your relapse behind you and focus on getting back on track. Anxiety sucks, and it was one of my major triggers as well. The one thing that really worked for me was 30-45 minutes of running a day...I know, sounds awful. But once it became a habit (and believe me, it gets very addictive after a few months) it would melt anxiety away.
Thank you, I'm trying not to let it get to me! Yeah I've been trying to find new things. I feel like I have to find myself all over again.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, John! You had some good sober time between February and the beginning of September...that's not time wasted...good for you for getting back on track! I have two sons and they are major motivators for my sobriety. Take care.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As with you anxiety and depression are my main triggers. Certainly understand the feeling of being a hollow shell. I'm going to try to take up biking. My wife wants to as well. I quit for 53 days starting in july and the thing that helped me the most, as was stated above as well, was exercise. It releases endorphins in a healthy way! Something we have to learn to do.