Notices

Writing even though you know know it sucks.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Writing even though you know know it sucks.

So I've written a lot over my years and I think it's amazing (the hobby, not my work). It's like intellectual lego with words, you can create anything just using language. The only problems is, as I re-read my short stories and poems, I objectively think they suck. I've let a few close friends read them and they are very complimentary, but because they care about me, I can't take that as having any significance. Let's be real, if one of my friends handed me something he'd spent six months on I'd want to say it was good.

So, even if you suck at something, but it makes you happy, you should stick to it, right?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Of course! You do it for you.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I spend hours writing, and working on those pieces, sculpting words, and writing some more - guess what - I'm a writer.

If I train for a marathon, little charts on the fridge and worn out running shoes in the closet - guess what - I'm a runner.

You are what you put energy into. There is no "qualifier." You might have some goals in that passion - getting a story published in a literary magazine, joining a writers group, etc. - but progress toward those specific goals does not make you a writer. Writing makes you a writer.

My wish for all of us is that we put our energy and passions into activities which make us happy and grow us, and are free from self-judgement within that joy.

Lots of people only do activities they are already skillful at. When you limit yourself to "talent" or "success" as a criteria for choosing passions, you live in a small universe. I love the people I know who are devoted to the activities they love, regardless of their "success."

It makes me think about the slower, shuffling runner who is never in front of the pack, but who loves running and wakes up totally excited on race day - excited about pinning the number on with the little pins, excited about the new teal and gray running shoes that they carefully broke in for the race, excited that volunteers will hand them little cups of water, excited to shave 30 seconds off their previous time, excited that they're going to do it, that they run, that they are a runner running...
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First of all, putting thoughts in the heads of your friends isn't fair. You don't actually know what they really think. It's awesome you have friends who take the time to read and be supportive. Enjoy!

Second of all, the only way to get better is keep on doing it.

I highly recommend Stephen King's book On Writing. Not only informative, but inspirational.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm envious. It's much better IMO to write and think it sucks, than to not write for fear it will suck. I'm currently in the latter position with my music writing. Stuck big time. Have at least a dozen songs sitting around halfway done.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Create art (of any kind-- writing, paintings, films, drawings, sculptures, quilts, etc) because you enjoy doing it. If anyone else likes it-- BONUS! I tell myself that all the time. (I'm a writer, too, of sorts.) By writing for yourself, what you come up with will be more honest (and more artistic) than anything you're writing just to please others.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just because your works haven't been published doesn't mean they suck. Maybe your being too hard on yourself. Yes - if writing makes you happy you should stick with it. A Jamaican friend of mine told me "if something makes you happy do it twice." Not really sure what he meant by that.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definitely, if it makes you happy then carry on