Notices

alcoholic son

Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question alcoholic son

Does anyone have any suggestions what to do with an alcoholic son that just continues to drink after six times in rehab. He disrupts the whole family. I have made him leave but he has nowhere to go. Are there homeless shelters he can go to? We live in a small rural county in ky. I am at wits end and I know he will show up here again and I don't know what to do. His behavior has gotten worse and he steals from family to support his drinking. Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it has to be a terrible feeling to be so apparently helpless to support one's child. I can't imagine how awful that would be.

My experience and that which I've seen in others suggests there is unfortunately little anyone can do to 'help' until an alcoholic / addict reaches a point of acceptance of the problems and willingness to change.

One thing is painfully clear; enabling the continued addiction by insulating the addict from the consequences of their actions does not help.

I wish you strength and peace as you deal with this challenge. You may find some ideas and additional support in the families section of the SR forums - others may have additional suggestions.

Take care of yourself as best you can, seek support for your own emotional fallout from this, Love your son and be there for his sincere efforts to heal - while taking care not to allow yourself to enable.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe there are homeless shelters in many areas. For you as a support, you might contact AlAnon in your area for meetings. http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

You might like to check out the Friends & Families forum too:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try Al-Anon for yourself. Not much you can do for your son.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

So sorry
Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm torn with this. On one hand I've been homeless and it sucks and in my opinion pushes you towards alcohol and smoking- you'll do anything to escape. On the other hand you can't allow someone, even your son, to destroy the lives of yourself and the other members of your family.

I truly don't know.

Maybe you could kick him out and let him know that if he can prove himself sober he can live with you, but at the first hint of drinking he's back out the door?

That's a big sacrifice for you, and obviously if you say that to him he'll immediately claim he's changed to avoid being homeless. Desperate people do desperate things.

It's a very hard circumstance.

How old is he out of interest?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally would print out a list of the closest homeless shelters, even if they are a couple of hours away. I would then tell him since he cannot stay sober, to contact one of them and get set up. It's important he do this himself. I would then offer him a ride to the one he is set up with and I would let him know that he is not welcome back into your house unless he is sober.

He has to feel the consequences of his drinking before it changes. Not the consequences to you, the consequences to him.

Tight hugs, the pain is huge. I am so sorry.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry.