SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   One Year Sober Today and One Year Working on my Codependence (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/346368-one-year-sober-today-one-year-working-my-codependence.html)

DoubleDragons 09-29-2014 04:51 AM

One Year Sober Today and One Year Working on my Codependence

A year ago, I joined SR to "fix" my alcoholic mother's problems. That was the MO of my adult life, trying to fix (read: control) everyone else's lives and problems and therefore, never having to take a look at my own problems. Thankfully, you wonderful, caring, honest beings called me out on my "sh8t" and I realized that I had every bit the problem with alcohol that my mother has, I was just not as far down on the elevator.

This year has been the most awakening, beautiful, painful, honest, alive year of my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This year has also been the most wonderful gift that I have ever bestowed upon myself.

Those of you who are starting out, stick with it. No one is lying, or sour grapes or mean here. The people here are saving lives because they now understand the value of a precious, human life. I never knew how to feel this good about myself. I never fully understood the importance of taking care of myself and my needs, instead of always trying to get others to fulfill those needs. Sobriety has done this for me.

Thank you all for helping me to learn the value of my life. I thank God for you all every night.

sprout50 09-29-2014 04:58 AM

Huge milestone! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meraviglioso 09-29-2014 05:09 AM

Congratulations! That is amazing work. How wonderful that you recognized your own problems and did something about it. Thank you for giving me (and I'm sure others) inspiration.

neferkamichael 09-29-2014 05:12 AM

DoubleDragons, you are just so FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya. Yea SR has help me to curb my mean streak. :egypt:
http://ambitiondaily.com/wp-content/...s-1024x768.jpg

DoubleDragons 09-29-2014 05:17 AM

LOL, Yes, Nefer, I was going to write, everyone is nice here except Neferkamicheal. ;) I mean who loves huge, gorgeous roses when they are feeling wonderful or they are feeling like crap or just because?!? You are awesome. Thank you!!

razor15 09-29-2014 05:23 AM

Awesome! Thank you for this post.

livingnow 09-29-2014 06:17 AM

congrats!!!
I really like your story.
Especially the fix others part.....
Good work

Soberwolf 09-29-2014 06:53 AM

:hb6

Amazing stuff double dragons !!!

jaynie04 09-29-2014 06:59 AM

DD! I am beyond privileged to have been able to share your journey. You never faltered when it came to facing the hard stuff. You may have slipped in through the side door (;)) but you are one very mainstream, honest, solid woman. If I had to pick a word to describe you, integrity quickly pops to mind. Happy Sober Bday DD! Amazing!

And yeah, Nefer is just a big grump, huh? ;)

Fly N Buy 09-29-2014 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons (Post 4925177)
A year ago, I joined SR to "fix" my alcoholic mother's problems. That was the MO of my adult life, trying to fix (read: control) everyone else's lives and problems and therefore, never having to take a look at my own problems. Thankfully, you wonderful, caring, honest beings called me out on my "sh8t" and I realized that I had every bit the problem with alcohol that my mother has, I was just not as far down on the elevator.

This year has been the most awakening, beautiful, painful, honest, alive year of my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This year has also been the most wonderful gift that I have ever bestowed upon myself.

Those of you who are starting out, stick with it. No one is lying, or sour grapes or mean here. The people here are saving lives because they now understand the value of a precious, human life. I never knew how to feel this good about myself. I never fully understood the importance of taking care of myself and my needs, instead of always trying to get others to fulfill those needs. Sobriety has done this for me.

Thank you all for helping me to learn the value of my life. I thank God for you all every night.

Great Job!!!!
You're an inspiration to many others on SR and I am certain elsewhere!

Well Stuck!

SoberLeigh 09-29-2014 07:01 AM

DoubleDragons!!!!!!!! One Year!!!!!! Congratulations. :c011::a122:

So glad you are part of SR.

firstymer 09-29-2014 09:11 AM

Congratulations, DoubleDragons. I have appreciated your positive and helpful posts over the past year. I am proud to have shared a path with you over the last year during our sober journey.

Thank you for all you do. :bdayani

Buggirl 09-29-2014 09:17 AM

Congratulations! What an inspiration!

PurpleKnight 09-29-2014 10:21 AM

Fantastic!! :You_Rock_

songthread 09-29-2014 10:40 AM

Congratulations, great work!

LBrain 09-29-2014 12:02 PM

way to go DD! thanks for being a part of SR.

GotGrace 09-29-2014 12:06 PM

Congratulations, DD!

least 09-29-2014 12:25 PM

Congrats on the first of many sober years. :scoregood

SoberComposer 09-29-2014 12:42 PM

Super Congratulations! !

That is very good work and insight! I have also discovered how codependent I have been and trying to work on that. My main problem at day 60ish is to go to bed on time. Without alcohol or a woman in my life to assure I go to bed at a decent hour.. I end-up night-owling it until I feel nearly passed out. So.. im working on taking responsibility and doing these things myself before ever thinking about merging my life with someone else.

Much love and respect,

-SC

Venecia 09-29-2014 05:13 PM

Congratulations, DD!