Notices

Who are you? The non drinking stuff.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who are you? The non drinking stuff.

So I was thinking that it would be cool for us to share a little about ourselves which aren't to do with drinking. I get this is a drinking forum so discussions about alcohol are pretty much all you could expect, but I think it would be a good idea both so we know each other a little better but also to see ourselves clearly without alcohol. Something I've been struggling with lately.

I'm Tom.

I'm a Scottish born guy currently living in England in my early thirties. I'm the kind of guy who has too many hobbies. Like someone bought me a bunch of those "1001 books to read before you die" books and all it did was annoy me that there's so much I won't be able to do before I go. So yeah, books, games, films, sports, nature, cooking. Like I said, too many hobbies. I'm also an avid record collector, my granddad and I used to listen to blues records when I was young and when he died he left me his record player. So when I put on an album I think of him and to me music doesn't sound right on anything else. I once tried to learn guitar but quit after realising I had no talent.

I have my issues, I had a tough life and it's left me with some serious anxiety and depression problems. But I'm working on coping methods, and I think I'll work my way to a place where I feel safe. I think I'm a pretty smart guy, and I'm probably too hard on myself.

Oh and I make a cracking spag bol.

Tom.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice idea Tom, nice to talk about what defines us as people other than drinking.

I'm Matt, 28 years old....live with my wonderful wife who is currently 6 months pregnant with my son.

My hobbies are running (obviously from the avatar), I love getting my hands dirty with DIY and property renovations and also I'm pretty obsessed with fishing, (the coolest of all the sports), when I can fit it in I'm still a big kid so love video games but don't seem to get much opportunity any more....I'm hoping have a son will give me an excuse to fire up the games consoles again, for some father and son zombie shooting.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like this idea! (What alcoholic doesn't like talking about themselves? teehee)

Btw, before I forget, what in the world is spag bol? Lol.

Ok, so hmmmm. I'm 30. I'm the oldest of four, a quarter Irish. My grandfather has his dual citizenship. County Cork, but unsure the location after that.

I started school early, skipped a grade, and graduated high school at barely 16.

I've always been a gadfly, I absolutely LOVE people. However, I do also love to study, I love the quiet where I can space out and think.

I LOVE MUSIC. All kinds of music, but mostly heavy metal and old school rock, hard rock. I've been asked what my favorite song of all time is... my go-to is "House of 1000 Corpses" by Rob Zombie. So complex and compelling, even after the 100th listen. Lol. But I also love classical music (Rachmaninoff, anyone!), jazz, blues, and anything live. I think I could be convinced to go see just about any music live, even country. Ha.

I'm artistic. I love to draw. At my old work, I used to draw people on cocktail napkins in under three minutes. Folks were always impressed.

Not a day goes by that I don't eat a banana. It's been that way for over a decade. That's a lot of bananas! Yikes.

I love philosophy and the classics and absolutely LOVE a healthy philosophical discussion. If anyone on here knows of G K Chesterton, I love you already.

I love cars. And driving. I love night rides with the windows down and the open road ahead of me.

I am on level 677 of candy crush and I cannot get past it. (read: addict!) I accomplished this without spending a single penny on it.

The toilet paper roll goes over the TOP, not to be accessed underneath!

I've never played a single video game in my life.

I took 17 years of piano lessons and was virtuoso, at competitive level, when I quit. I still miss it.

Oh, and I have freckles. And glasses. FWIW.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a middle-aged woman. I've got five grown kids (youngest 16 and just got his drivers' license) and two grandkids, and my husband and I just celebrated our 30-year wedding anniversary.

I finally stopped drinking (Lord willing) for good on November 16, 2013. I had originally stopped the preceding January, but had two short and instantly-regretted relapses.

In 2013 I also finished my bachelors' degree after having dropped out at 19. I am now in seminary with a concentration in Biblical Studies.

Socially we're pretty close to our church community group, and I go out with the ladies for a mutual unloading and encouragement session once a month.

My family loves to sit out on the porch and smoke good cigars (me too, on occasion). We even had a special, industrial-strength ventilation fan put into a room to accommodate the smoke!

My biggest hobbies these days are school, SR, and taking friends out to lunch.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not wanting to be a killjoy but please do think about what you're sharing before you post guys.

Please don't post anything that can identify you or that you might later regret cos we really don't delete stuff except in extraordinary circumstances

D
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like Chesterton, too!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't referring to any of the posts so far...
Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok, I worried too! LOL
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love music, camping, hiking and cooking.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post

Btw, before I forget, what in the world is spag bol? Lol.

I am on level 677 of candy crush and I cannot get past it. (read: addict!) I accomplished this without spending a single penny on it.

I've never played a single video game in my life.
Spaghetti Bolognese =)

I'm afraid to tell you candy crush is a game so, yes, you have played a video game!

You are now a gamer, welcome to the club.

One of us, one of us....

haha!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am a mother to 2 wonderful boys. I love to cook and entertain, I love arranging flowers and setting the table. I am a big fan of almost all types of music though I can never really get into jazz. I've made a really nice life for myself here in Italy despite a lot of uphill battles.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm female, 44, living in the north of england

Huge animal lover, love rock music, love food

Battled depression for most of my life and had a rough few years but will come out the other side

Believe in the supernatural and spirits but don't believe in God or heaven and hell. Think there is something more when we die and we are here for a purpose. Not religious but like the values of Buddhism.

Been a carer for the past 9 years, first for an elderly relative and then for my son.

If I had to live my life again and choose a career I would be a scientist - in forensics. Or an animal cop.

Love karaoke but previously only when drunk....so that is a future test
Old 09-29-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a single girl in her 30's. Have traveled and worked in many different countries.

I love yoga, hiking, cooking and making stuff with essential oils.

I love creating things that other people think it is easier to buy - bread, granola, body creams/lotions.

Although I have had some incredible challenges in my life - I've also had alot of resources to deal with them. I have a wonderful, supporting family and group of friends.

*I agree people - please don't give too much information - but, I do think it is interesting to see who is here! I know the Big Book of AA says that we are a group of people who normally wouldn't mix!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One day at a time

I am a 25 year old female I love dogs my bf my family and getting to know people I play my 3ds a lot and I am in school getting my masters! I love to talk about sobriety and help other people! I want to have one child! Soon! Ha okay I'll stop!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am on level 471 of Candy Crush, i started playing during jury duty (judge makes you wait a lot) April 2013.
i also love words with friends, i am currently getting whupped at 6 games
I'm a middle-aged woman too, finally getting myself together, not disliking me.
I live 30 mins. from NYC.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I make an out of this world zucchini lasagna. Unbelievable flavor! I've been complimented on my meatballs, too. I also pride myself on my chili and gravy.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This thread is starting to make me hungry!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know! I didn't mean to hijack it, but the mention of "spag bol" set me off!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I am 38 yo female and married with 2 wonderful boys.

I am in the process of currently trying to find myself after years of drinking. What I know that I do like is holistic nutrition/health, boxing workouts, running, Pilates, cooking (making new, different things. Now I'm trying out raw vegan food), and, like grace, I like to make body butters and perfumes out of essential oils! And I love this site.