Notices

Who are you? The non drinking stuff.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I know! I didn't mean to hijack it, but the mention of "spag bol" set me off!
"The alcoholics restaurant- no we don't have a house wine"
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good question. I honestly don't know who I am at 38. I have been in recovery for 3 years and still trying to rebuild my life after 6-7 years of heavy drinking. Lost the girl, job, house, car, health etc...Fortunately, it was just me who lost it all. No marriage or kids involved.

I still don't have it figured out. But I will be sober doing it hopefully.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post

I still don't have it figured out. But I will be sober doing it hopefully.
That's pretty much why I made the thread. I'm at a point where I'm rediscovering who I am. It's been such a long time since I've been sober for any significant period that I don't really know much about myself. I have hobbies but the doesn't answer any questions about personality. It's odd, drinking dulled everything. Whoever I am, I know it wasn't that guy.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am an artist.
I love animals.
I'm almost 40 and sleep with a stuffed bear.
I raise chickens, turkeys and rabbits.
In my short sober time I learned I prefer reading and a cup of tea at night to drinking or TV
I also discovered I love scaring the crap out of people and setting up simple yet random pranks just to watch the outcome (nothing harmful).
I listen to Native American music all day long when no one is around, even in my truck.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I love to daaaaannce. I'm in a few different belly dance groups and it's honestly the most fun thing I've done. I've been able to travel for performances and competitions, make great friends, and have something outside of work to aspire to.

I work in healthcare, which is also a business (sarcasm), because in the US it's all about the $$$.

I have a military background and grew up rather poor and disadvantaged, but despite that, I feel I've come a long way.

Love to joke around and have friends who like to tease each other mercilessly. Also am an avid consumer of documentary films, love to take pictures, and read!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

I'm a 52 yo male. We have 3 children 1 boy 2 girls. Xelectronics engineer now house husband and gardener. I love the outdoors especially trees and woodland.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am a 42 year old woman. One beautiful daughter. Divorced, graduate degree, looking for work. I love movies, hiking, dancing, laughing, cooking.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Okay, okay, I've played a "video game", haha. You win, TTT.

Originally Posted by MavisTheFairy13 View Post
Love karaoke but previously only when drunk....so that is a future test
Mavis, I live to tell the tale! I did sober karaoke on my birthday. It was a little nerve wracking but oh so much fun!!! Quite a surprise, that. Ha, ha, ha.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I live in UK, I am nearly 35 and love Volkswagen's (hence forum name!) and music.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm a 39 year-old dude, single. I have relocated abroad gradually over the past 2 years, but finally made the permanent move 4 months ago. I am very happy with it! I used to live in Chicago before taking the plunge.

I love exploring. I live at a UNESCO World Heritage site here in Guatemala. It's a great place to be on a daily basis, and it's a great region to use as a "jumping off point" to explore other countries nearby! I love photography, technology and sports.

I have been all over the world - Europe, South America, Central America, Siberia, SE Asia, and all over the USA. I've made many of these trips solo and have been on some unique adventures! I have always liked just floating around and not being tied down, socially or physically. Just the way I am!

I currently work in technology, helping kids learn math(s) and science with the help of computers.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I'm a 43 year old gent, divorced with 2 children I am so proud of. I love to read all kinds of things, enjoy good films, and play and watch a lot of hockey (Canadian boy, I know).
I love cooking, particularly grilling and taught myself many years ago. I love to travel as well and would like to rediscover the adventure travel I enjoy so much.
I have a wonderful partner of 3 years that I look forward to enjoying life with.
Fundamentally, I like to learn and I love people and their stories.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Some things changed in my life when I got sober, others seem hard-wired in my existence.

- My great passion in life is travel, both domestic and abroad. But for the pesky absence of endless time and money, I would travel lots more. Australia is No. 1 on my bucket list. Someday ... sober bash at Dee's place.

- I love to read. History is my favorite non-fiction genre; I love a good mystery, but am picky about what authors I read. Murder seems better when the deed is done in England.

- That said, I am writing a mystery novel. It will may take a year to finish. I predict it shall captivate my cousin, college roommate, best pal at work, best pal from high school. But ... you never know until you try. I could never have tried until I got sober.

- Others have mentioned cooking. I used to be a good cook, but can count on one hand the number of times I've cooked/baked since getting sober last year. A glass of wine was always -- always -- in my hand when I cooked and for a long time, the association was just too strong. Now, I eat very simply, but healthy.

- Working out has become essential to me. I started for health reasons, but now am rather intrigued by the positive impact it has on me mentally and emotionally. If I go more than a couple days without, I tend to feel a little blue.

- I don't like professional sports, neither the games nor the role they play in our culture. Never did, never will.

- I'm still don't have it figured out, either.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I am on level 471 of Candy Crush, i started playing during jury duty (judge makes you wait a lot) April 2013.
i also love words with friends, i am currently getting whupped at 6 games
I'm a middle-aged woman too, finally getting myself together, not disliking me.
I live 30 mins. from NYC.
Fandy, could you come get me past level 305?
I have been stuck there for weeks.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I'm a 56 yr old male very grateful recovering alcoholic and drug abuser. I've never been married and have no children. I live in the Redwood forest, where I love to hike.

I am a former hardcore athlete with 100,000 documented miles on a racing bicycle. 8 years playing Ultimate Frisbee and organizing a team and a league in my area. Won the league championship with my high school Track and Field team competing in the high hurdles. Currently obsessed with going to the gym and strengthening my bad back (from all that cycling...).

My favorite pass time is music. I attend a lot of concerts, 75 in the last 5 years and have met some of my favorite artist's in Meet and Greets at shows. Watching DVD's of concerts and listening to my CD collection is a daily thing.

I am active in my local AA fellowship and secretary the weekly Men's meeting. I hope to someday work in the recovery field.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
I'm a 56 yr old male very grateful recovering alcoholic and drug abuser. I've never been married and have no children. I live in the Redwood forest, where I love to hike.

I am a former hardcore athlete with 100,000 documented miles on a racing bicycle. 8 years playing Ultimate Frisbee and organizing a team and a league in my area. Won the league championship with my high school Track and Field team competing in the high hurdles. Currently obsessed with going to the gym and strengthening my bad back (from all that cycling...).

My favorite pass time is music. I attend a lot of concerts, 75 in the last 5 years and have met some of my favorite artist's in Meet and Greets at shows. Watching DVD's of concerts and listening to my CD collection is a daily thing.

I am active in my local AA fellowship and secretary the weekly Men's meeting. I hope to someday work in the recovery field.
Holy cow - 100000 miles! I guess the last time I posted this, it didn't go down so well. I'm guessing you can appreciate how psyched I am with my new Conti 4000 s tires on my specialized s-works!!!! Woohoooooo