SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi... trying to get balanced again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/346321-hi-trying-get-balanced-again.html)

ArtFriend 09-28-2014 03:26 PM

Hi... trying to get balanced again

It has been a rough few years for me. People talk about a rough patch. My patch is long and deep. I basically am all alone right now. To cope I have been drinking everyday. Doesn't solve anything but it makes me able to bear the pain a little.

It started when I lost my sister on 9/11. Terrible pain. She was my older sister who I adored. When she died, I think my mother died too. She lost interest in everything. She finally got too sick to live on her own so I took her in. She too died a couple years ago.

My brother is an alcoholic and is very messed up. My older brother is a religious fanatic who banished both my mom and sister to hell. So he is messed up too. I had no help taking care of my mother from either brothers or my mom's family. They could not be bothered. They are upset also that I am not sending her ashes to be buried there. So no one is speaking to me.

Not married. No kids. Just alone and drinking. Hello

Gilmer 09-28-2014 03:30 PM

Glad you're here, ArtFriend.

SoberLeigh 09-28-2014 03:31 PM

Hi, ArtFriend; welcome to SR. You have endured many challenges; SR is here to help you battle alcohol; you don't have to go it alone.

This is a great place for understanding, support and encouragement.

Hevyn 09-28-2014 03:31 PM

Welcome ArtFriend. It's good to have you as part of our family.

I'm sorry for the pain you've gone through and the losses you've suffered. Drinking seems like an answer - we all understand that. Over time we learn it does nothing to solve any of our problems or help us cope. The temporary numbness we feel isn't making things better, & only adds to our anxiety and despair. Just before I joined SR I was drinking every day too, and it was miserable. No happiness or hope. You can get free of it. I'm very glad you found us.

Soberwolf 09-28-2014 03:33 PM

Hello Artfriend sorry. to hear that but is drinking really helping ?

or temporarily blocking it out only for it all to hif you again with vengence

can understand your issues what if you try sleeping it off ? or having a cup of strong coffee and reading some posts ?

either way good luck spk soon

PurpleKnight 09-28-2014 03:35 PM

Welcome to the Forum!!

I am soo sorry for your loss, and everything you've had to go through!!

SR is full of people that at least understand drinking to escape, I drank for years, didn't like much, not even myself, it was the perfect quick fix, drink myself into oblivion and I didn't have to feel anything!!

The problem though, as I soon realised, was it didn't actually fix anything, all the feelings and all life's problems were all there in the morning, staring me in the face, the quick fix started to lead me down the road of longterm chaos, as my drinking began to spiral out of control, it was a road to nowhere!!

But we don't have to be that person, we can write a new chapter in our story, it's far from easy, but it can be done!!

You'll find loads of support here, this is a great place and you don't have to be alone!! :grouphug:

ArtFriend 09-28-2014 03:38 PM

I have been reading posts for awhile now. And you guys really GET IT. I wish my family did. Thank yo for the support! \it will be a struggle but I have hope.

Hevyn 09-28-2014 03:49 PM

That's what I really appreciated about SR ArtFriend - I knew I was never going to be alone anymore. We all understand and hold each other up.

ArtFriend 09-28-2014 03:52 PM

One thing I would like to try and get back to is my art. I used to paint, draw, do ceramics. But, the alcohol is a jealous lover and doesn't wnat to share ne with anyone or anything else.

Sorry...that sounded dumb

Gilmer 09-28-2014 03:54 PM

No, it didn't. We all know what you meant.

ArtFriend 09-28-2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 4924258)
That's what I really appreciated about SR ArtFriend - I knew I was never going to be alone anymore. We all understand and hold each other up.

That is wonderful! I'm so torn down now it's hard to imagine support. Always waiting the shoe to drop.

SoberLeigh 09-28-2014 03:57 PM

Another great thing about SR is that is 24/7; there ismalways someone here!!!

luvmygirls 09-28-2014 04:16 PM

Hi ArtFriend, and welcome!!! I'm very sorry for all the pain you've endured. I hope the very best for you in your sobriety...you will get there, and we are all here to support you. Take care, and please keep posting.

ArtFriend 09-28-2014 04:21 PM

Thank you all for your kindness!

2muchpain 09-28-2014 04:31 PM

Hi Artfriend,

I'm so sorry for all the pain you are going through and the losses you have had to deal with. I'm glad you found SR. It's a great place with wonderful people who really care about each other.
You are now connected with friends from all over the world, who are here to help each other.
Along with posting here, is there any chance you can get some help from a therapist? I just can't imagine going through what you are without some 1-1 time with someone that can help guide you through your crisis.
Reaching out here is a great start and I hope you let us know how you are doing, but maybe other support would help also.
Take care, John

least 09-28-2014 04:36 PM

Welcome to the family. :) We're glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here. :hug:

waterlines 09-28-2014 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 4924264)
One thing I would like to try and get back to is my art. I used to paint, draw, do ceramics. But, the alcohol is a jealous lover and doesn't wnat to share ne with anyone or anything else.

Sorry...that sounded dumb

doesn't sound dumb! I lost interest in everything with alcoholism/depression. It's one of the few things I want to get sober for

Wastinglife 09-28-2014 05:25 PM

I spent years drinking alone holed up in my apartment. Rarely saw my family or friends for a good 5 years. Spent the last few Christmases alone. I feel your pain Art

FreeOwl 09-28-2014 05:29 PM

It will really help brighten your skies and lighten your life being sober, ArtFriend.

Welcome

meowychristmas 09-28-2014 05:36 PM

Welcome, ArtFriend. This is a great, supportive place.