Notices

over thinking introductions

Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

over thinking introductions

I have been going to IOP for 3 weeks now. At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to stick around and really do the program and all the things they want me to do, like go to AA and get a home group and sponsor. I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a part of their recovery community or if they would be people I spend 5 weeks with and never see again.

So for this reason, and the fact that I am very shy with new people, I kept it formal when introducing myself. I always introduced myself by my full first name even tho I like my friends to call me by my nickname. For example, if my name really is Michelle but I like to go by Shelley. Or if my name were Katelyn but I like to go by Kate.

This is an example of my social anxiety but I feel awkward telling them that I have been introducing myself one way for the past 3 weeks but I really want to go by something else. And the longer I keep going by my full first name, and the more people I meet and get to know by my full first name, the weirder it will be when I finally start introducing myself by the name I like my friends to call me.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. You'll find a lot of support here, as well as in AA.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Next time someone calls you "Michelle" why not say "You can call me Shelley" and give them a smile? Nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You can call me Ray or Dave just don't call me late for dinner.

You are right you are over thinking it. No one is going to notice when you switch from formal to informal
Old 09-28-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I over think everything too! I'm glad you shared because it just reminds me of how worried I get about saying the right thing too. The more I put myself out there at meetings the more I realize that it's all about how comfortable I am with doing at that time. The more I continue to come back to meetings and put myself out there the more I get to evolve in my sobriety and get past the self centered fears that I have. I notice the people that have lots of sober time are just happy to see me sharing myself and continuing on. This may seem like such a big deal to you at this moment but I guarantee you it won't a little while from now. If you introduced yourself to me formally and then asked me to call you by a nick name later-I wouldn't think twice about it!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for everyones feedback.

Rina, I like that you talked about getting past self centered fears. I think I have a lot of them and they hold me back from continuing in the right direction. I tend to try to avoid situations rather then face my anxiety or insecurities. And a lot of the things I avoid are not really that big of a deal.

One of the hardest things I will need to get over is actually going to meetings. I tend to be a private person and its not natural for me to put my business out there. Also, I am not comfortable around new people and I don't have the best social skills. So participating in AA is going to be a challenge for me.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!