Notices

Expecting to much ?

Old 09-28-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Expecting to much ?

Today is only my 3 rd day. I felt better yesterday. Today no energy or motivation and a foggy head. Posting as I don't want to start using how I feel as an excuse to drink .....
Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There will be up and down moods and draggy days physically. Going back to drinking would make everything, physical and mental, 100 x worse. Play the tape and remember why you quit.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 11 and things have improved slightly. Hang in there, you can do it!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Yes, it is tough but each day clears that fog and lifts spirits. Maybe there is something you can do to keep busy? A walk is great for the soul.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it takes time. You are still very, very early in and most probably still in the acute withdrawal phase. Your body is still physically adjusting to the lack of alcohol. This phase is short but it feels like crap sometime. It will definitiely get better though. What have you been doing to stay busy and take care of yourself?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello from West Oz ... I'm on day 12 .... Day 3 was hard.... but I pushed and pushed my way through it ... and kept telling myself how I wanted to feel when I woke up the next morning... no hangover and no regrets ... so hang in there Time
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, give it a bit of time.

One of my "stretch" areas of growth is battling impatience. I seriously lack it, but am working on it.

Early sobriety is helping me. I need to remember that I can't expect to feel immediately better after torturing myself for twenty years.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day three is super early. You are still clearing the worst of it out of your system. It will get better. Take it easy. Don't over extend yourself. Rest. Make sure you eat and get plenty of water. Just don't fall for any little voices telling you to drink to make yourself feel better because you will be back at square one. Congrats on three days!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I am at my sons football match will be busy for another hour. Still things to do at home so will make a tick list until bed time to keep the AV at bay
Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's a good plan, Time. I agree with everyone that it just takes awhile to get clear. These earliest days are hardest (at least in my opinion) because they feel so epic and time is crawling so slowly. By day 3 or 4 you're starting to feel better enough to get impatient but your battered system is still limping to catch up. Give it some more time. Meanwhile stay busy like you're planning to do. Hang in there.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

keep posting your doing great
Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are gonna be bad days. For me it was day 7 and today (day 9). feeling a bit fed up and tired and stressed and in the past that was an excuse to drink to 'make myself feel better'. Actually I would drink if i was happy also to treat myself lol. Anyway try to keep busy and you'll get through to day 4
Old 09-28-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So I guess quitting drinking is probably similar to quitting smoking, amirite??? Years ago, I used to smoke (quit for good about 11 yrs ago), and to this day, I have moments where I get a craving out of nowhere.

The cravings will come back when you're @ your weakest moments. Bored, tired, excited, whatever. Stay strong!! The moment will hopefully pass quickly.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said give yourself a little time timeforchange - if you're like me you drank for years...it's gonna take a little time for mind and body to recuperate

Originally Posted by Briseis View Post
So I guess quitting drinking is probably similar to quitting smoking, amirite??? Years ago, I used to smoke (quit for good about 11 yrs ago), and to this day, I have moments where I get a craving out of nowhere.

The cravings will come back when you're @ your weakest moments. Bored, tired, excited, whatever. Stay strong!! The moment will hopefully pass quickly.
They were different for me. I quit smoking without any trouble.
Alcohol took a lot more work for me lol.

I'm not bothered by cravings for either now tho.

D
Old 09-28-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey Time . I'm glad you posted about your feelings.

Please don't be discouraged by how you feel today. You'll go through many phases as you heal. I felt zombie-ish for a few weeks, but everything improved greatly by 3 months. We need chance to heal and recover from all we've put ourselves through. It will keep getting easier.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It took us years to dig the hole we found ourselves in, it's gonna take a bit of time to dig our way out of that hole!!

The body is gonna need time to do it's thing, but it can't wipe away years of drinking in a matter of days!!

Hang in there, it does get better!!