Notices

Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Old 09-28-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Is day 12 which I am so grateful for .... and love the mornings.... have had no awful withdrawal symptoms..... but my procrastinating has been worse than ever, and I seem to be feeling tired quite a lot and finding it hard to wake up in the morning. Although at least I know it is a natural sleep and not alcohol induced. Also have a feeling of melancholy at times....
Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes... very common.

One thing that happens is our serotonin levels are all depleted and our blood sugar is low. We tend to go through a low-enery, low-mood period.

Sometimes a good course of multi-vitamins and supplements like B-12 and 5HTP can help balance the mood. In terms of blood sugar, you might consider having some juices and fizzy water with a little Karo syrup a few times per day to help keep your blood sugar regulated. It's a good idea to consult a physician for more specific advice based on your body, your history, your current bloodwork - but it is very common for fatigue and low-mood or depression to be a part of early recovery.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like par for the course. It will eventually pass.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am right there with you on Day 11 and I have definitely experienced the things you mentioned. I haven't slept this much (or wanted to!) in a long time, and I am foggy mentally. I've heard it gets better, so let's hope so, for both of us!!! :-)
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went through all kinds of different feelings and symptoms when I quit. Your's will depend on how much and for how long you drank, but I guarantee it will get better with time! Some people report feeling great after a couple weeks, some a bit longer, and for most it can come and go- but it does get better. Stick with it, and stop back often and let us know how it's going.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep. Totally normal. Just because we are sober, doesn't mean we aren't human. For me, when I was drunk I had a hard time deciphering what my body was telling me. Mostly attributed every bad thing to drink. And for the most part, drink was the culprit.

But feeling tired, melancholy, etc. is just part of the human experience. As is joy and light. Take care of yourself, treat your body with sleep, exercise, nourishment.

And well done on your sobriety. :-)
Old 09-28-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I can totally relate to those feelings. I'm was really exhausted the first week, and continue to get tired on occasion. Also pretty foggy as josharon described it. That probably freaks me out the most. I'm trusting all the experienced ones here that say it gets better :-)
Old 09-28-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is why I love SR sooo much ..... the support is wonderful .... thankyou all so very much for your posts ..... I wouldnt even have got to day 12 without SR .. and yes josharon "lets hope so for the both of us"
Old 09-28-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The procrastination! Holy smokes! I notice it mostly at work and it didn't start until around day 30. I'm at 45 today & told myself this week will be different - we'll see.

Just knowing it's normal is helpful & will allow me to be more gentle w/myself. I knew all the other symptoms were normal but never heard anyone verbalized the procrastination.

Thanks for the thread, Julie.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes Hearts ... me to ... there are sooo many things I have to do work wise ... I have clients relying on me and I will lose them if I dont do what I should and still I procrastinate ... you are definitely not alone ... so definitely don't be hard on yourself .....
Old 09-28-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Foggy, tired, procrastination. All things I went through early on. I had a month or a little less of that. Don't push yourself too hard. Keep getting rest. It did get better. Now I just procrastinate for entirely different reasons but that's another story. Good job on keeping going.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Ruby
Old 09-28-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Julie, don't be too hard on yourself, let your body repair, then your mind. It will all come together and life will seem so much better. Hang in there, it truly is worth the fight.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Mags ... you are always so supportive
Old 09-28-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope it all works out
Old 09-28-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is easy to think we're procrastinating in the first few months of recovery - dishes piled or work tasks left undone until the last desperate minute.

I remind myself of all the "work" that I'm actually putting into recovery - time on SR, time at AA meetings, new people, the energy to talk myself through difficult moments... It's like taking on a second, challenging job!

It is joyous & hopeful, but it also requires attention.

I've heard folks say "give your recovery as much time & attention as you gave your drinking" - that's all well & good, but drinking time was familiar and easy and recovery time is challenging and depleting sometimes (all that self-awareness is sort of exhausting).

So when I feel impatient or that I am procrastinating & fuzzy, I remind myself that I'm actually working my a** off - of course I'm exhausted.

My experience in the past is that after the first couple of months, while recovery remains primary, much of the behavior becomes more habitual & the activities more familiar, freeing up energy & attention for other things.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm a fan of naps. Can you power nap at all? It's been said anywhere from 15 min to 1.5 hrs in the middle of the day is ideal.

I usually try to crash for 15-20 each day (on my lunch break if I'm at work). It helps with the tiredness.

And yeah, I think not drinking at first brings you low for a bit.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Heartcore ... yes I am totally concentrating on my recovery and as long as I can recognise these traits as all part of it hopefully I can work through it all. Having said that there are so many work issues I just have to attend to. But as many of you have said I will just try and focus on one thing at a time and feel good when i have accomplished that one thing.... so what shall I'll start tomorrow !!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Brisies ... sometimes I can power nap and yes sometimes it works ..... other times blah....
guess it is all part of the process ......