Notices

Day1

Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day1

Alright, I thought I would give this a try. Ive spent pretty much the past 7 years in the bottom of a vodka bottle. It has destroyed and consumed my life. I can usually string together a few days, but nothing sticks. I have tried every conceivable method to stop. AA worked for awhile, but then I started using AA when I found out there was a liquor store down the street and well, it went all down hill from there. I am writing this for another form to vent my experiences and get the insight from those who have had similar experiences. Now that I have 24 hours under my belt I am definitely not in a good place. Shakes, Cold sweets, and an overall fogginess. I have a feeling I wont be sleeping well anytime soon. Anyways, day 1 is done.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum nuffsEnuff

are you going cold turkey? it can be dangerous I hope you know this.
keep posting through the night if you need to, hang in there
Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the best decision you ever made.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Welcome to SR and try to think about the things you want back from life. We're with you.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm at day 26. I remember that first few days very well. It definitely gets better. The withdrawals suck. I recommend you write down how you feel physically and in a couple of weeks when you can read it when you have the urge to drink. Remembering how you felt and knowing you don't want to ever go through the withdrawals again is a great motivator to not drink.

Hang in there and take it one day, hour or even minute at a time. String those minutes, hours and days together and before long you'll be feeling good.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You'll find great support and advice here. Best wishes.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's me too, and day 1 was yesterday for me. I felt absolutely awful. I could not think straight. Today is better. Here's hoping tomorrow will be even more so for both of us. I'm with you.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nuffs, I know how your feeling now. I was a daily vodka drinker for 2-3 years. The periods of withdrawal were some of the worst days of my life. I went through a couple pretty bad ones a few years ago and I had no clue what was happening to me. I had hallucinations and saw shadows and spiders, all sorts of weird stuff.

I only stopped drinking after a DUI, job loss, and having to declare bankruptcy after running up my credit cards to insanely silly levels. I spent 35 days in rehab to break the cycle.

Keep monitoring yourself and your symptoms. If they get bad, head to your local ER.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and be safe. Listen to Wastinglife- if things get bad, get to an ER.

This is a great place to be in early sobriety- read, read, read, ask for help and stay as strong as you possibly can. It's not a cake walk, but the community here really does take the edge off.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on day 1! Keep posting
Old 09-28-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. It will get better soon. Stick with it long enough to crawl out of that bottle and get your head clear. When you're feeling better physically, compare it to how you feel now. It can be a strong incentive to continue.
Hang in there
Goose
Old 09-28-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! The first few days of sobriety can be tough. It does get better. Take things easy if you can. Lie around and watch tv, read......sugar can help as well. We are used to getting a lot of sugars from alcohol. My first week of sobriety, I just let myself junk food it up. Be kind to yourself and let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You only have to go through this once. You only have to feel this bad ONCE. Then it gets so much better!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can do this...possibly with the help of a professional, based on the withdrawal symptoms you mentioned. I'm only on Day 11 (so I don't consider myself a good advice-giver, ha!) but I totally agree with eating junk food, especially chocolate. If you don't have kids to care for, you may also want to sleep as much as possible. Take good care, we are here for you.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow! Thank you for all encouraging posts. I have a feeling I will be on here a lot for advice and venting. On with day 2. I dont expect it to be much better, but I do know I hate this feeling and I never want to go through this again. But its nice to not have my head in the toilet and Im actually going to have breakfast. Not to mention the pacing I would have been doing all morning waiting for the only liquor store that is open on sundays to open. Like if lI did not make this decision my skin would be crawling waiting them to open. Thanks again for all the support!
Old 09-28-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum nuffsEnuff!!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR nuffs

D
Old 09-28-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you nuffs! You sound ready to have a new life. You can do it.