Notices

Day 2

Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi everyone,

I am grateful to have found this forum. I am an alcoholic and alcohol is destroying my life. I am a binge drinker who drinks to great excess, often blacking out and passing out. Yesterday I had a terrible hangover with massive heart palpitations, sweating, and horrible anxiety. I don't want my life to be like this anymore. So, for today, I am staying sober and reaching out to others who have been where I am. Thank you for having me.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're here!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That all sounds very familiar. I'm in that state now - palpitations, anxiety, sweats etc. - I can't go on doing this to myself.

Well done on staying sober today, and hopefully you won't have to live through the ever worsening day afters any more!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. I am so grateful someone is out there you have no idea. I live in a small town and all of my "friends" still drink, and this is going to be a lonely road, but I have to do it for me. There is an AA meeting in town on Monday. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was in both your boots just leeting you both know you always got sr

and you can both choose to be sober it is always possible
Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi well done . I can relate to how you feel same symptoms after my binges.. Beware when the hangover wears off ... My drinking side started to battle with the sober side in day 2 today . Stay strong none of us can carry on drinking the way we have without killing ourselves eventually .. My friends all drink and I also have to stay away for now
Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on day 2
Old 09-27-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timeforchange7 View Post
Hi well done . I can relate to how you feel same symptoms after my binges.. Beware when the hangover wears off ... My drinking side started to battle with the sober side in day 2 today . Stay strong none of us can carry on drinking the way we have without killing ourselves eventually .. My friends all drink and I also have to stay away for now
Good advice, once you start to feel better your brain conveniently forgets how bad you felt and starts gearing up to do it all again.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! You'll find tons of support and great advice here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So true Timeforchange. That's a big part of my problem. I start to feel better and then say to myself "sure, it's ok to drink again." It's not, and I hope the memory of yesterday's pain and terror stays with me forever as a reminder of why I can't continue to drink. I have no control over my drinking unless I completely abstain.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! And congrats! You'll find lots of support here
Old 09-27-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting (and I totally agree that the hangover fades and it can be easy to forget how bad it actually was.) You'll find strong support and lots of understanding here.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm the same no control i have to abstain. I also can't let myself get hungry or the cravings take over and all reason is lost. I've stocked up on fresh juice tonight especially grapefruit as the sharpness helps with the cravings. I'm also going to throw out my wine glasses if we were giving up smoking and were serious about it we wouldn't keep the ashtrays . If you have a favourite glass you would drink from maybe you could throw that away to.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

As a newbie, the amazing thing that has started to happen for me, or at least I'm seeing glimpses of, is that the feeling of "feeling better so that I want to drink again" is starting, albeit slowly, to be replaced by I'm "feeling better and I want to do something cool". This is quite miraculous for a guy that is also still where you guys are. It's just a glimpse at this point, but this hope alone is reinforcing my resolve. I'm at 22 days.
Stay strong of will.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 2 days Stayingsober. You sound disgusted with the old routine. I felt that way when I joined too. There was no fun in it anymore, only misery. Glad you found us. You can do this.