Notices

Uncertain

Old 09-27-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Uncertain

Hi all,

I'm going to start by saying that I feel quite disloyal being here.

That being said, in the last few years, my husband's drinking has gotten to a point where I believe he could officially be called an alcoholic. He is very, very high functioning, so I'm pretty sure that he doesn't realize how serious the problem is. I don't know what to do. We've been together since I was 15, married for 30 years, raised our children, and are now on the verge of an empty nest (our youngest - 26 - still lives in our home with her 7 year-old son).

I grew up with an alcoholic Dad, who was sober for the last 10 years of his life. My husband saw it, and knows what it means; he promised me he would never become an alcoholic. I know I can hardly fall back on a promise that he made when he was 17, but I'm feeling overwhelmed and pissed that I need to have the "I think you have a problem" conversation with him. Right now, besides one conversation we had recently, we live a life of quiet avoidance. One thing I have to mention, is that the problem slowly developed throughout the last 12 years, while I was in the midst of developing a rare life-threatening disease (I was so sick), the diagnosis, brain surgery, and now, the never-ending recovery. A lot of stress, responsibility, and disappointment has been weighing him down, and I think this was the way he coped.

I want this to not be a problem. I don't want to deal with it, and quite frankly I'm concerned about the aftermath (will my marriage survive?). Plus, I feel as if I am the one who must address this with him. If I don't, no one will, and then the consequences of his heavy drinking (serious illness and/or death) will sit on my shoulders (he is also a diabetic that is currently not managing it). What I'm saying is: I feel morally responsible for helping him recognize his problem. What if I fail, what if I don't have the strength, energy, or balance that I'll need...

I don't know if it is appropriate for me to be here since, technically, there is no soberness, or recovery, going on. I know that no amount of 'drama' is going to change his behavior, but I'm not sure if I know how to help him. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate the advice. Like I said, I feel guilty being here...I know he would be pissed to find out I'm sharing something about our private lives with complete strangers, on the internet. I just don't know where else to go since I'm fairly home-bound. Ugh. I don't want to do this!!
Old 09-27-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no need to feel guilty about being here.

I hope that your husband decides to seek support for his alcoholism.

As a support for yourself, you might check out AlAnon in your area, and there is also a forum on this board for Friends & Families:

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi BrownEyedGirl,

There is no question about whether it's appropriate or not for you to be here. You have a lot on your plate and you see something that is causing you a lot of concern. Your husbands drinking. Welcome to SR.

I recommend the family and friends section on SR. There are a lot of people who can help and provide support. Please stay and check it out.