Notices

Haven't had many cravings

Old 09-27-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Haven't had many cravings

Just here to post regarding this recent longest stretch of my adult life. I'm going on 60 days, and at the very beginning, I honestly didn't know how I could go a few weeks without my best friend.

A little background on my recent situation. I got my second DWI two years ago in September and for the last year and half or so I have been on probation. Went to in-patient treatment two times in that stretch and out-patient, but kept slipping.

Long story short, "The Man" gave me an ultimatum this past "slip" and said we're running out of options. We decided on another shot at out-patient (people really wanted me in a long-term, in-patient setting with my history of chronic relapse).

Because I am now facing a felony conviction (if I don't finish probation) and the fact I'd be facing jail time and probably a half-way house, I think it lit a fire under my arse.

Back a few weeks ago at the one month (30 day) mark I had horrific cravings, but some how I white-knuckled it and made it through. Have to say that the cravings and/or obsession with alcohol have been few and far between.

The other day I had a "using dream" that felt quite real until I woke up, and last night a less intense using dream, but all in all I've felt fairly well.

Just wanted to post that here. Felt like "saying" it to someone, and know I should get to a meeting tonight as it's Saturday, I'm on the cusp of 60 days (which are the worst times for those in recovery) and so on.

Just wanted to say I believe that 30 day period was the hardest. Of course I don't have any significant period of sobriety to gauge it against, but to those of you out there struggling I will say that. It seems to have gotten a little easier after that particular 30 day mark.

But at the end of the day, it's really one day at a time.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Amnesiac!
Old 09-27-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR! The first thirty days are definitely rough, good job getting past them and congrats on 60 days. You mention "white knuckling" through the cravings...is that due to lack of a support network or plan? You'll find lots of support here.

Consequences only kept me abstinent for a while, many continue to return to drinking even when they are much more severe than what you face. People lose jobs, families, some even their lives, even with knowledge that they will ahead of time. For me it was imperative to want and build a sober and better life, rather than just "not drink" to avoid the consequences.

Hope you can join us and share/learn...you are on the right path!