Notices

If I Wanted A Drink, Today Would Have Been It

Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If I Wanted A Drink, Today Would Have Been It

So today was a rare day for me. I couldn't wait to get home and just get the day over with.

It started at work, I was having really bad pains in my chest, nothing to do with the heart but I ended up stretching the cartilage in my chest pretty bad and it flared up. Work felt I should go to an urgent care just to be sure all was in order. As I was on my way I realized I didn't have my new insurance card so I drove home and got it. Then on my way to urgent care I got pulled over. I didn't have the new inspection sticker on my truck because I'm waiting on my OBD readiness for the emissions to reset itself and I had a paper that was given to me that says that. They told me all I could do was drive my truck and it should reset with time. It could take 20 miles or it could take 600 miles. The state cop was very nice and called the place I had taken my truck and they told him it should have only taken 24 hours. Now I have taken the truck there 3 times for them to tell me it wasn't ready and to keep driving it. Anyways I ended up with a fine for my inspection. I finally got on my way to urgent care and had they gave me an X-ray and I got 2 prescriptions. I left urgent care and took my truck back to the shop to have them test it again only for it to still not be ready. They have no idea why. Now they think it can be electrical. Why wouldn't they tell me that after the second time of bring it down instead of telling me to just drive it? Who knows.

So I end up at the store to pick up my prescription, its not ready yet because they needed some info. I asked if they needed my insurance card and they said no. I browsed around, walked out to my truck and gave the wife a call and walked back in to pick up my pills only to find out the pharmacy is now closed because they are out to lunch. So I had to wait another 40 minutes. I went out and sat in my truck and just looked up things I may be able to check to fix it. When I go back in the sudden realized the did need my insurance card so they still haven't filled it. After waiting another half hour they say it was finally ready they give it to me and I'm on my way. When I get home I noticed they only filled one and not the other. I checked my receipt and at least they didn't charge me for it. I was going to call down and and let them know I only got one out of two but the way the day has been I chose not to. It was just for a pain killer anyway and I can survive without it. As long as I have something to help the swelling.

Anyways when I was drinking all of this would have been a trigger to drink. I'm actually quite surprised that I didn't even think about a drink and as I was sitting here I realized that. And I must say it still feels pretty good.

I know there are people out there who have a lot worse days then that. That was just my rant about it and the moral of my story for whoever may need it is even if I went to have a drink or a few, it wouldn't have changed a thing about what happened today. When I wake up tomorrow it still would have happened and I would have felt like crap if I drank on top of it. It may have put a damper on my anniversary plans for Sunday but its a sh*t happens kinda deal and drinking would not fix any of that.

Anyways if you made it this far thanks for reading and good luck to all and best wishes. Even after all that, life is still so much more enjoyable sober.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely hope the weekend is better for you Shawn.
Kudos on getting through all that

D
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep at it shawn
Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats for getting through all that stress sober. It's nice to notice our triggers and avoid them isn't it
Old 09-26-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Waterfalls2014 View Post
Congrats for getting through all that stress sober. It's nice to notice our triggers and avoid them isn't it
It is and as weird as it sounds, it almost seemed to be a test of some sort.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No we all have drama and unpredicted things happen to us. It's how we handle it that makes the difference. If it was a test, you passed
Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shawn - it must be that type of day b/c I was certainly tested as well...I failed my emissions too! And then just a snowball of things...and I definitely thought that a few weeks ago, I wld've used the crap day as a reason to drink (not that I ever needed a reason). Feels great to tackle it sober. Hope the rest of the weekend looks up for you!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Great progress Shawn. I'm really impressed that drinking didn't pop into your mind spontaneously. Awful service at both places!