Notices

New in Baton Rouge, louisiana

Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New in Baton Rouge, louisiana

Looking for people in recovery who are in my age group.. I'm almost 29 and can't find any younger people or meetings I feel comfortable in. Trying to get inspired and haven't a hard time...
Old 09-26-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love Celebrate Recovery, although it's very much a Christian recovery program (just want to be clear). I found that it draws a fairly young group of people. The meetings are quite different than AA (not necessarily better, just different). It is a twelve step format, but differs a bit, with bible teaching incorporated into the steps...not overwhelmingly preachy, but definitely a part of the evening. Rick Warren designed the CR format...he wrote "The Purpose Driven Life".

Usually CR meets once a week and begins with live music, then there is a general group meeting, which involves hearing someone speak on their recovery journey or going over some step study. After this you break into small groups (CR has recovery groups for alcoholism, chemical dependency, anger management, co-dependency...and several more. Each meeting differs a bit) and meet and share for an hour. Following this, the whole group gets back together for food, tea, coffee, desserts. I always really enjoy myself, and I've been to a number of different CR meetings. I find it positive, fun, uplifting and very helpful.

Just another option for you. I hope you find a place you feel comfortable and supported in!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome megan
There are people of all ages on SR...I'm sure you'll find support and understanding here

D
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you megan. SR really helped me because of all the understanding and encouragement. You're not alone.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I actually did all of the celebrate recovery books myself. But here we don't have an actual meeting. I went to my church's recovery group but of course was 20 years younger then everyone.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Megan. I can't speak to the age issue, but you are likely to find a lot of support and understanding here. I don't know anyone's age, but I know that (like me) they are pursuing sobriety, and that's good enough. :-) Take care, and good luck!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ran into this issue at first, going to meetings and support groups where I was decades younger than most. It's only human nature to want to relate and just talk with people who are at where you are at in life in both situation and age.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing but respect for the older ladies and gentleman in recovery and I am thankful for their advice/support and wisdom - without it I wouldn't be sober today.

In the end though, We need to be able to have sober friends and support groups that are around our age.

Life is different for everyone, but connecting with people in your age group is vital to one's recovery.

Keep looking, you'll find the right support group/meeting/friends.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello 32 london england nice to meet you

Like D said youl meet so many diffrent ppl we all have common ground
Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, meganrmc.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm 29 and will be 30 this month. You will find people here of different ages yet the same goal. I consider us the very lucky ones. I have had a few on here tell me the wish they made the decision to be sober when they were our age or younger. Age is only a number but I like to think of us and the younger ones as having wisdom beyond our years. Lol