Notices

AA questions

Old 09-26-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Paixfleur.There is no need to go to a different meeting unless you want to.The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

I really don't like people being pushed into sharing,I see it as bullying.It is the 12 step programme that is the important bit,not speaking in meetings.

Wishing you well.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You should not feel any pressure at the meetings. Anybody that has been going to meetings for a while knows how hard it is just to walk in the door, so you are doing great!! Many are probably happy just to see you there, although it might not seem like it. I've seen many people struggle to talk, so you are far from alone. And I've seen newcomers walk in and immediately share intimate details of their life. Everybody is different and most people understand that.
Try to remember you are already a success for just having the courage to just show up, and try not to let other peoples' attitudes get in your way of focusing on your recovery. And remember everybody there has serious issues that they are working on, including the guy that was shaking his head. Good luck. John
Old 09-26-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There shouldn't ever be pressure to speak at a meeting. Encouragement, maybe. But, at the end of the day, ultimately it is YOUR meeting in the sense that it is part of YOUR recovery. If tonight you prefer to listen to other's thoughts that is okay. When I share at my meetings, I want it to mean something to myself and my fellows....I don't speak for the sake of speaking. You share your thoughts when its the right time for YOU, and don't be pressured otherwise.

Have a safe and Sober night!

Bunnez
Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would add, don't let your own attitude stand in the way either.

Growing pains never last but are a temporary part of growth.

Grow or shrink?