Notices

Recovered.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovered.

Yes. I've finally got to the point of being recovered.
I am now back to the same person I was before I started having problems with alcohol and there is no more struggle relating to alcohol. For this I am forever grateful to the SR community and SR has been my number one tool in recovery, including avrt, which I learned about from these boards as well.

The wisdom and positive feedback enabled me to remain sober, day by day. It took me this 15 months to clear my head, become neutral with my addiction problem and understand everything that related to my addiction. The reason I drank was that at first it was fun and I wanted to be a rebel. A rebel I was. And now I am far happier to have gone through this because it has taught me how to live without alcohol and see for myself that life without is far better.

To give the title recovered means to me that the struggle has ended. This still doesn't mean that it should be forgotten what it means to be an addict. I know I can never use alcohol in any quantities and that is fine.

I'll still be around SR from time to time. This is such a nice and understanding place, like no other. Thanks to everyone who have contributed to the SR community. Sobriety is the psychology of today.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

15 months is fantastic!! Definitely a great thing when we recognise ourselves again!!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done on 15 months

Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just another Pickle Man

Congrats, 15 months is very impressive!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

15 months well done
Old 09-26-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

UnixBer; you sound great.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the congratulations and the input.

I just wanted to say WHY I think that I've gotten to the stage of out of "recovery" and into life, while of course I consider to be in recovery always in a way that the benefits of sobriety keep always coming and being there. But why I find myself now suddenly recovered... there are two reasons:

1) Ever since I got into recovery, I've had problems with a brain fog - type thing, but not really only that BUT in fact a specific memory issue. I haven't been able to remember a certain part of my life, as if it's been somehow blocked from my mind. I think it is accurate to say that this part has been disintegrated from me, and it's like a big part of my personality and who I am, that's been kind of "offline". This has of course bothered me. And now my memory of that period is ever clearer and full. I remember it all to the point that I could now say I'm here. (not elsewhere, if that makes sense).

2) The second thing that kept me sober and kept me interested in physical results was the knowledge of PAWS. I wanted to keep counting days and see evidence of this phenomenon and I aimed to see its end and document all I can how it ended, when it ended, what happened in the surroundings, moods, sensations, thoughts, previous to this stage... and that. So from this perspective I can say that PAWS has leveled out for me and is no longer a factor. (And yes I've thought of the possibility that I'm just having a good streak and it might sneak up again... This is different. It is final. Another stage of recovery, which I call recovered.).

So there we have an additional, and hopefully clarifying defition of my progress with recovery and total abstinence from alcohol and its psychosocial traits/links.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your progress and your success Unixber

D
Old 09-27-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Reading your lines, I was dreaming of myself sitting on the same chair as yours, writing the same lines, with the same feeling that I have recovered... and I will!

Thank you so much for this great news! There's no better way of saying out loud that it's possible to break this addiction! Thanks you and congrats!

I admire you!

Live well!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats, unix!!!!15 months is awesome!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Congratulations UnixBer. That is a great achievement, and one you are justifiably proud of. You are describing the typical course of successful, unconditional sobriety. It is all in the past now, and you can get on with the things that bring meaning to your life now. I love the way you describe yourself as recovered, and that you have returned to your previous state, as you put it. Another de-pickled cucumber? I like to think that this particular cuke is sweeter and crunchier than before it ever felt the brine.

I hope you continue to drop by, once in a while, if only to share your success. Onward!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bump. Unix, I think you should re-read this and re-evaluate your current attempts at moderating.