Notices

What exactly is 'hitting bottom'

Old 09-26-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
My bottom was when I started to feel absolutely dreadful every day. From waking to 5:00 pm at work I would feel very anxious and I could feel my heart beating rapidly in my chest. I began to sweat heavily when completing simple tasks. I was clammy and my face was flushed red. My digestion was completely out of whack. I had pains in my stomach and on the right side under the ribcage. The only thing that would calm these terrible feelings was drinking when I got home. This worked until it stopped. Drinking stopped calming my nerves and I could no longer achieve an enjoyable buzz. I felt anxious when not drinking and anxious while drinking. Well, anxious is too pleasant of a description. It was a sense of impending doom. I knew I was killing myself and the doctor confirmed this and I still drank another year. If I continued to drink I was going to die by 40 I guarantee it (or much sooner). I am 32 now.

I had suffered injuries, humiliating emails, phone calls, Facebook posts, and even became physically aggressive on a few occasions during blackouts with my guy and friends. The worst anxiety/terror of all was checking my phone the next day. When I would hear the "ding" of a text message later that day my heart would nearly stop beating from fear. Who was texting me? Were they angry? Worried? Disappointed? What had I said? Did I cry during the call about some random topic? Had I lashed out in anger? I could no longer handle feeling embarrassed and worried all the time. Blackouts had become the norm rather than the exception.

I went to work every day and did very well but I was exhausted from keeping up appearances that everything was okay. I was physically drained every day and weekends were spent on the couch recovering from the night before. At 5 pm I would start drinking again and repeat.

My specific bottom was the realization of how detrimental drinking was to my health. I thought of all the people in hospitals who are fighting for their lives while I was sitting at home drinking my life away and actively killing myself by damaging my organs. Throwing my life down the toilet. I knew it was going downhill fast.

That pretty much sums up my "rock bottom."
Wow- how did the Dr confirm your drinking was killing you?

Glad you made it out! How long have you been sober? And are you feeling better now?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
It is an impossible question.

Like "how long is a piece of string "

Good analogy.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
In my opinion rock bottom regarding alcoholism is death, its the final stop so to speak!

However with that being said my worst experience with the booze was when one morning I woke up SERIOUSLY hungover and felt out of my mind, hard to explain but I didn't feel like I was in reality ( maybe still drunk ? ) I was TERRIFIED in my room crying on the floor making this weird long scream coming outta my mouth. My mother came in and had to cradle me and rock me back n forth as if I was a newborn baby, I was 28 at the time! Terrified out of my mind with my eyes wide open, it truly was a land of madness I was in!

Never wanna be in that place again!
Wow, thank you for sharing.

I can relate to the hangovers. They turned into some bizarre, dark, nightmare where I felt like I was disconnected from the world. Paranoia, immense sadness, and even irrational thoughts. Never again!
Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Wow, thank you for sharing.

I can relate to the hangovers. They turned into some bizarre, dark, nightmare where I felt like I was disconnected from the world. Paranoia, immense sadness, and even irrational thoughts. Never again!
It was sheer mental hell it really was, I don't know what it was exactly, maybe delirium tremens? maybe alcohol induced psychosis? either way I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy for that was just sheer terror and torment!

The GOOD news is that I never have to go through it again
Old 09-26-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by b086 View Post
i heard it said that a bottom happens when your circumstances worsen faster than you can lower your expectations..
This is brilliant, b086!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DefconOne View Post
The bottom? Its different for everybody. For me I became a PUD (Physically Unable to Drink). I was nearly dead from alcohol abuse. Alcohol burned my mind, body, and soul. I was done with dying. I see many people who 'want' to quit but in the end they need more time in the zombie grave that alcohol digs for them. You really have two choices as a PUD, continue to drink and die, or get treatment.
That's an interesting idea: PUD. Physically unable to drink. I reached that point in my last month. I really could not drink anymore even if I wanted to. Tolerance was way down and it started tasting weird and unpleasant.

PUD is a great term.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I never hit a rock bottom. My drinking gradually diminished and then stopped.

Hitting rock bottom doesn't mean much because you still have to embrace sobriety.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

made up idea

don't know who made it up but people change their lives on all levels of substance abuse
Old 09-27-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Hitting rock bottom to me is getting in trouble with the law or hurting someone in your family so bad they no longer want to speak to you or physically harming another human being the list goes on it means being at the lowest you've ever been where you know in your heart you have let this drug or drink run you and it has control of you but yeah it's different for every one! Mine was when I was using all my $ on Roxie's before class and spending like up to $500 a day scary!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. Rock bottom.

In the spirit of blissful repetitiveness here ...

For me, I don't think I hit rock bottom. I think I hit a point where I could visualize what rock bottom was going to look/feel like, and it scared the living crap out of me.

I think too, I was tired of mentally teasing myself with dreams of a future I wasn't working on building.

Now that was with alcohol.

With my eating disorders, I DEFINITELY hit all KINDS of rock bottoms. Over and over and over again, I think the "layers" concept applies. Each one felt worse than the last. And yet, when I originally recovered - I recovered from a better spot, not from the most recent rock bottom. So there's that. Shrug!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

its amazes me the differences in peoples bottoms

some are fat, others are small, etc lol

my bottom was a very low level bottom indeed, infact i look back now and i just can not imagine how on earth i ended up in such a mess ?

but of course i know today just what that drink cost me and the mess i ended up in

but one thing i can not pass on to anyone is my own desperation i was in

there came a point in my life were i was drinking 24 /7 throwing up to get another drink inside me, not being sober for a day anymore

my life was in bits, kids gone into care being taken off me, myself been in and out of prison, i lost my business and all my money and my home, and my ex wife had gone off with another drunk

there was nothing left but me and a drink and my pain in life and anger at the world for how cruel it was to me

in the end the drink couldnt shift my guilt or shame or pain
i couldnt get drunk anymore to block it out
i just wanted to curl up and die and never wake up ever again

i had to hit that point to finaly give in, i had tried everything known to man to either give up drinking or control my drinking, nothing worked

i had to be beaten when i went to aa beaten i didnt know that really i had actualy won
Old 09-27-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

There are so many embarrassing events that should have been my bottom, a few health scares that should have been my bottom, etc. but I really think what made me quit is when I got sick of lying to myself. When I challenged all of the beliefs that I had about alcohol and everything, and really faced the truth is when change became inevitable for me.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I didn't hit rock bottom but realised that I was reliant upon alcohol to relieve stress and that it wasn't relieving it, to block things out that I hadn't dealt with, and all the money I was wasting throwing wine down my neck could be put to a much better use for my family. Plus I need to be healthy for my son who has special needs and is likely to need care his whole life. As an older mum I'm terrified what will happen to him if something happens to me. So I have to make sure I'm around and healthy and to do that the wine just has to go.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It's so interesting for me to read so many different experiences of reaching the end of habitual drinking. It's also fascinating to read how many of us have drank ourselves to the point of our bodies rejecting it...The P.U.D physically unable to drink phenomenon. I'm curious to know more about that. And yet even when our bodies rejected it I know many of us kept pouring it down our neck .... trying to make it work; like staying too long in a bad relationship. Today I wouldn't dream of treating myself that way! I can't believe I did that! I'm so glad it's in the past and look forward to it being further and further into the past as I move forward with healthier habits.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I had many bottoms until i quit for good. Jail cells, evicted, bankrupt, fired. Last one was awaking on my bathroom floor blood everywhere and a massive scalp laceration which exposed my skull. 30 staples to close...