Notices

Reallllly Craving a drink tonight....

Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reallllly Craving a drink tonight....

So for those of you that remember I'm 25, 4th year med student.
Daily drank from September 2011 until Oct 2013 with only a few nights sober here and there. I haven't drank more than one night in a row for almost a year now and I did a period of abstinence this summer.
For the last two months now I've been practicing moderation. It's been working well so far. Note I don't moderate how much I drink, I just moderate when I drink. I haven't had any cravings until tonight. Now maybe it's because I had a very very big presentation today and I did awesome and I want to celebrate, or maybe it's because I feel lonely or because I'm bored I'm not sure what it is, but I'm craving hard right now. My moderation rule has been, never drink more than one night in a row, and never drink alone. So I'm pretty sure I know all the tips and tricks to help with cravings because I still lurk here quite a bit, but I was hoping someone might provide me with something new that they've been doing when a hard craving hits. I know someone will ask, but the last night I drank was 9 days ago and I had to check my calendar to be sure. So that is how moderation is working for me, I'm not counting days anymore.
Now this thread isn't about convincing me to abstain completely because that's not my goal. However, I DO NOT WANT TO DRINK TONIGHT, if for no other reason than the fact that I'm craving it. I feel as though I HAVE to drink tonight and that is something that I haven't dealt with since I started my moderation plan 2 months ago. So anyone have any ideas on how to stop the craving feeling?

Thanks,

Serper
Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure what to say Serper - I have no experience in successful moderation.

As long as I was drinking, no matter how 'little' the amount, my alcoholism got worse.

As an outsider looking in at your life, I think you're making a really hard road for yourself.

D
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

As long as I was drinking, no matter how 'little' the amount, my alcoholism got worse.

As an outsider looking in at your life, I think you're making a really hard road for yourself.

D

Well thanks anyway for your response. Alcoholism is a tough word to define. You said your alcoholism got worse. So what is your personal definition of alcoholism? I know that question is off topic, I'm not trying to argue I'm just curious
Old 09-25-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recognize your motivation to drink as possible celebration or thinking you are lonely or bored. I relate to that especially if you also finished a big presentation today and there is a 'feeling' afterward that drinks seem in order. For me I had those feelings because truly relaxing in the evening was something I associated with alcohol. Now I know that was unhealthy and exhausting and did not give me the restorative rest I needed for the next day's demands. It is a process to accept that loneliness or boredom might just be periods of downtime...opportunities to spend some good quality time doing something for yourself other than drink inking. ..Reading, exercise, TV, a hobby....learning to spend time alone has been a challenge for me but I'm seeing it as more opportunity now. I hope you get past your urge.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I say crack your whip and be the boss in your life. YOU don't want to drink, DON'T drink.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't HAVE to drink, even if you feel like you do. Feelings aren't facts. Do anything else! Jigsaw puzzle, read, learn a new language.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Thats a polite and kind answer D i salute you
Old 09-25-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newpathway View Post
I recognize your motivation to drink as possible celebration or thinking you are lonely or bored. I relate to that especially if you also finished a big presentation today and there is a 'feeling' afterward that drinks seem in order. For me I had those feelings because truly relaxing in the evening was something I associated with alcohol. Now I know that was unhealthy and exhausting and did not give me the restorative rest I needed for the next day's demands. It is a process to accept that loneliness or boredom might just be periods of downtime...opportunities to spend some good quality time doing something for yourself other than drink inking. ..Reading, exercise, TV, a hobby....learning to spend time alone has been a challenge for me but I'm seeing it as more opportunity now. I hope you get past your urge.
Yeah I've been swamped all week long... so I haven't even thought about drinking it didn't even occur... but I did so well today and you are right a drink seems in order... Now if I got drunk tonight, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as I dont have much work to do tomorrow, but I purely don't want to drink because of the fact that I'm craving it... If I had gotten home and someone texted me and said hey come out to the bar with us tonight, then that would be totally acceptable, but that didn't happen, and I'm alone and I'm just feeling the craving hard... I know it will pass, but its been going since I got home about 50 mins ago.....ugh!But yeah I should use my downtime tonight to get stuff done that I've been neglecting because of my presentation.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
I say crack your whip and be the boss in your life. YOU don't want to drink, DON'T drink.
And that's what I'm getting at....If I WANTED to drink tonight....then I would...but I don't want to... so...I need to man up (no offense to the women on the forum) and just not do it....now I know I"m not going to do it....but the craving is tough...
Old 09-25-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not trying to be unhelpful or nasty, Serper.
I really don't have any successful experience in doing what you're trying to do.

'Reallllly Craving a drink tonight' fits my personal experience of alcoholism.
If you want to define that as something else, it's perfectly ok by me.

I won't give you craving tips cos you say you've read them.

Some nights I just had to physically corral myself in my room and not go and get booze.
I always felt better in the morning.

D
Old 09-25-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
Now maybe it's because I had a very very big presentation today and I did awesome and I want to celebrate, or maybe it's because I feel lonely or because I'm bored
I drank for all those sorts of reasons. Not that I really have any idea on successful moderation...but...
there are other ways to celebrate
there are other cures for boredom
there are other cures for lonelieness.

You feel like you NEED a drink for some reason..you ain't even sure of. People without addiction issues (a term I favor over any sort of -ism) do not play with things that cause them grief...because they know they cause them grief and let them go rather painlessly...

The way to deal with a craving for an addiction is to either pick up and give the addiction its feed or you don't...and work on new answers for boredom, lonelieness and ways to celebrate victories.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

serper, alcoholism is a very tricky and difficult thing to describe. First off, it just doesn't make sensel. I mean, why would we continue to drink when we know it's bad for us and ruining our health and lives? Yet we do.

Think about how crazy it is that we cannot moderate. We can't. For me, it's one drink and then off to the races. I quit even trying to fool myself into thinking I was just going to have enough to relax, maybe a glass or two. HAH! Even after I knew better, I kept trying to do that just one. then I dropped the fantasy of just one drink and would have to plan around getting getting smashed, I had to have enough time to sleep off the drunk and be presentable. It was just nuts.

And, I couldn't remember why I would always think about having a drink after some disaster, like oversleeping and missing important business or appointments. or bagging out of meetings or plans with friends to stay home and drink in peace.

You're a young person with a future yet to be written. there's actually a lot of doctors in recovery these days. AA made that possible, I think. alcohol is cunning, powerful and baffling.

you might read up on AVRT and Rational Recovery. that's what made the most sense to me.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-25-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It almost feels like we train ourselves to crave that drink. In The beginning, we believe it's just a "treat" for a job well done, but I think we wind up setting ourselves up for failure by creating a drive when we reward the craving.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't give you any tips on moderation, either. Didn't work for me. I'm going to send you a link that might help you with your urges though. I'm not sure why you're dragging yourself through this. It sounds like you have a future full of struggle and urges. It's up to you though.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You said it: you are NOT drinking tonight. I might WANT to just sit here and watch a movie but I'm going to get up and get some things done. Wanting a drink isn't a: I am drinking. You are young and ready to go into grad school, what a great time of your life. I wish you the best!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I hate being the devil here but my AV tells you could fit a drink in your rules if you just called someone to celebrate with?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What made you think a moderation plan would work after all you shared and leared here a few months ago Serper? Go back and read some of it. You were either lying to yourself them, or you are lying to yourself now...there's no 2 ways about it.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I remember being in my 20's and thinking if I could abstain and moderate for periods of time, it would provide evidence that
I didn't have a problem.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Serper, there is one thing that does not compute to me in all this. If you have been practicing moderation successfully and are not concerned, why do you worry about craving a drink, and drinking it today, so that you ask here for advice??
Old 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
I can't give you any tips on moderation, either. Didn't work for me. I'm going to send you a link that might help you with your urges though. I'm not sure why you're dragging yourself through this. It sounds like you have a future full of struggle and urges. It's up to you though.
Possibly, I mean I've been doing this moderation plan for about two months now... the other night was the first time that I had a strong craving to drink. If I was practicing abstinence, I still would have struggled the other night-- that's assuming I still had gotten the craving... thanks for the link by the way it was really helpful-- and if anyone is still following this thread I did get through the night without drinking-- and last night we had a work function with free alcohol and I didn't drink at that either. So cheers for 11 days for me. Now according to my moderation plan I could have technically drank last night, but I didn't have the desire to because I needed to wake up fresh this morning to get work done...Plus it was nice to show coworkers that I don't always drink when there is free alcohol involved, I thought because of the extreme craving I had on thursday that the free alcohol at the work function would be nearly impossible to tolerate, but I was very surprised that I didn't have any desire to. One thing that was really cool was that since I stayed sober I was able to notice how much everyone else drank... everybody stayed around the 3 drink range.... amazing right?