Notices

Failed and I had a panic attack

Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failed and I had a panic attack

Hello SR:

It has been a couple of weeks since I have been on. One reason is work and the second is because I was having some log on issues for some reason.

I have been doing good...well maybe not. I seem to make it about eight days and cave. Well I caved Tuesday and went out with some friends for chicken wings and drinks. I though "okay, I'll go in and order a soda and get wings."

It didn't work. I am typically a beer drinker and for some reason shots started appearing in front of me. No I did not turn them down. I am in no way glamorizing alcohol use, I wished that I would have just walked out.

I woke up yesterday feeling very odd (non typical) and hung-over (very typical when I drink) and at about noon I had a panic attack. I have only had one of these many, many years ago. It was terrifying. I really did think I was going to die. I think of myself as a "man's man" but I was like a shell of myself with fear. I know the direct cause and effect was alcohol. There is no doubt in my mind. After about 45 minutes I finally got myself calmed down so I could at least function.

I am back to normal today.

I am not really posting for advice as SR has been wonderful to me in guidance, advice and a good swift kick in the rear end when I have needed it.

I guess I am just posting to vent. I have to get serious about my sobriety (I keep thinking I am) as I sound like a broken record every 8 to 10 days. The bright side I guess is that I don't drink daily any more. But In the end I want none of it at all. To put it bluntly...this cycle sucks. Thanks for hearing me out SR.

Only if there were a "light switch" to turn it off...
Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep on trying youl get there
Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had those kind of panic attacks after drinking many, many times. They will scare the dickens out of you. They were one of the main reasons I was finally able to quit. I was a bad drunk and in the end I was drinking to stave off the panic attacks.
Yes, it is a vicious cycle.
Once I had some sober time, the panic attacks lessened. I still had them, but saw a psychiatrist and was told I had a anxiety problem. Had it ever since I was a kid.

I was a chronic relapser, too. It took me many tries to finally quit. I had to take it one day at a time. Pretty soon those days started adding up.
You can do it too. You've got to want to be sober more than you want a drink. It can, and is being, done.

Best to you. And hae a defense against the eight or ten days.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There will never be a better time to quit than right now. Next time you feel tempted you can tell yourself that. If you give in this time, will it be easier next time? Will there ever be a point in time when there won't be any temptation?

The answer is no. It takes time for the reward pathways in the brain to rewire. Every time you feel tempted to drink, it's the circuit firing up. Every time you give in, you reinforce it, every time you say no, you weaken it. Every time temptation arises, and you say no, you are making progress, that's a pretty great thing to know. Keep trying.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you learned some things from this relapse that will help you next time.

I had panic attacks too and they are horrible. I'm glad you're feeling better today.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
The bright side I guess is that I don't drink daily any more.
I am not sure changing daily drinking to binging has a bright side. Read up on kindling.

If you are stuck in a cycle, you need to make the changes to break out of it. Like putting a halt to the wing nights until you can rack up some sober time.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks All for the posts.

And Thanks Carl. I cringe (in a good way) when I see you post to my threads. You always "hit" me right where I need it. Your blunt, on point and speak the truth. I need to hear it. Your right, I am replacing daily drinking for binge drinking. There's no doubt about it. I like telling myself I am not doing that, but as you said...I am.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Thanks All for the posts.

And Thanks Carl. I cringe (in a good way) when I see you post to my threads. You always "hit" me right where I need it. Your blunt, on point and speak the truth. I need to hear it. Your right, I am replacing daily drinking for binge drinking. There's no doubt about it. I like telling myself I am not doing that, but as you said...I am.
Some tough love is good sometimes. I remember posting and asking people not to go easy on me. He he!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are struggling. Maybe if you really think out what your triggers are and try to avoid them at all costs (beer and wings go together a lot), you will have better luck. Just a thought.

I hope the panic attack don't come back anytime soon!

Take Care!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Something about 8 days... I have it too where I'm trying to stop a bad habit and I do good for about a week, then relapse. All we can do is keep tryin!
-Ted