Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Not sure how to put this, Help with mental status/Been sober 8 months now

Notices

Not sure how to put this, Help with mental status/Been sober 8 months now

Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So much great input here..but I must comment as well because you're post really, really touched my heart. We are relational people...and we weren't meant to do life alone. You're want for companionship is natural and healthy. I feel quite deeply for your lonelieness. I understand it completely. I spent the first half of my life mostly drunk..and lonely...even in relationship. I couldn't truly find what I was looking for because what I was looking for was someone else to validate me..value me...accept me so perhaps I might quit hating myself. It wasn't quite that clear when I was actually in it...but it's truly what it was.

My head was full of self criticism and self loathing. I was constantly feeling like I didn't "measure up" to whatever standard I had burrowed within my own harsh self. I felt like I was some sort of unique freak..and that everybody else had it figured out somehow.

See...it was I who was rejecting me...probably from the moment my eyes opened each morning. Alot of my recovery work is about being kinder to myself...catching those belittling berating unaccepting thoughts I have within. It is my own interiors that have to become more hospitable..in accepting myself..I in turn am more accepting of others.

You are an amazing creation of unlimited possibility. You are a miraculous vessel..it's the thoughts we have to work on...

Connecting with people has also become very important to me...connection...with myself...others and my spirituality.

Are you involved with any sort of recovery group..support group? For me..therapy did wonders. I was blessed to find the right one. She helped me find acceptance and trust within myself...

Others have said it...you have to start working on accepting yourself just as you are. It's hard work. There is nothing wrong with you ..ya know...but there is probably a whole lot wrong with your thought processes. That's where you need to start.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by natehamburg View Post
thanks for all the great advice guys. every post was helpful. as far as hobbies I am looking into rodeo/and horses again because I really enjoy that type of stuff. I also really do enjoy bodybuilding too..hence the steroids.
I enjoy lifting weights also.... but Steroids are not the way to long term success in bodybuilding.

Steroids are body-wrecking. They are a false and temporary promise. They are another addiction and an unhealthy, unsustainable one. You will trade your body's longevity and your future health and fitness for a temporary, superficial 'fitness' that actually isn't attractive to many anyway.

Don't do it.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
So much great input here..but I must comment as well because you're post really, really touched my heart. We are relational people...and we weren't meant to do life alone. You're want for companionship is natural and healthy. I feel quite deeply for your lonelieness. I understand it completely. I spent the first half of my life mostly drunk..and lonely...even in relationship. I couldn't truly find what I was looking for because what I was looking for was someone else to validate me..value me...accept me so perhaps I might quit hating myself. It wasn't quite that clear when I was actually in it...but it's truly what it was.

My head was full of self criticism and self loathing. I was constantly feeling like I didn't "measure up" to whatever standard I had burrowed within my own harsh self. I felt like I was some sort of unique freak..and that everybody else had it figured out somehow.

See...it was I who was rejecting me...probably from the moment my eyes opened each morning. Alot of my recovery work is about being kinder to myself...catching those belittling berating unaccepting thoughts I have within. It is my own interiors that have to become more hospitable..in accepting myself..I in turn am more accepting of others.

You are an amazing creation of unlimited possibility. You are a miraculous vessel..it's the thoughts we have to work on...

Connecting with people has also become very important to me...connection...with myself...others and my spirituality.

Are you involved with any sort of recovery group..support group? For me..therapy did wonders. I was blessed to find the right one. She helped me find acceptance and trust within myself...

Others have said it...you have to start working on accepting yourself just as you are. It's hard work. There is nothing wrong with you ..ya know...but there is probably a whole lot wrong with your thought processes. That's where you need to start.
I am not really a member of any type of recovery group at all I go to church maybe 1x every 4 months.