Notices

Do you ever notice...

Old 09-23-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you ever notice...

how much wine/alcohol is on the TV shows we watch? Whether it be daytime soap opera or a TV show at night, there always seems to be alcohol on the show. I go to my FB, and I have friends posting pictures of wine. Even on an ABC Family show, Mel has a glass or two or there of wine every episode. And if you watch the Voice on NBC, they are always talking about what a heavy drinker Blake Shelton is. Wine / alcohol is everywhere on TV shows, and they make it look so appealing/glamorous.

Yes, I know that some people can handle alcohol and not have issues.
I know we can't go back to the days of prohibition, but it would nice if TV/movies had a more balanced picture of alcohol consumption. I know it took years to get cigarettes ads off, and now characters rarely smoke.

Anyway, I just think it's odd how much wine/alcohol is on TV shows. And when you aren't drinking, it sticks out that much more.

<end rant here>
Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is everywhere, there is no escaping it, definitely can be tough sometimes!!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Theres a reason its everywhere
Old 09-23-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes... and its all about MONEY!!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So true. I just wish there were more accurate/balanced portrayals of how alcohol can change peoples lives.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your last statement is so true. I listen to country and I noticed the same thing last week - every song seems to have booze in it. I had just mentioned it to my husband the other day. Never really noticed it before. The kids like that station but I've been listening to a contemporary Christian station when I'm alone so I don't have to hear everyone singing about getting their drink on
Old 09-23-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kirstensmith View Post
So true. I just wish there were more accurate/balanced portrayals of how alcohol can change peoples lives.
There are accurate portayals out there, but I think many people would rather turn a deaf ear. It's unfortunate.

Bunnez
Old 09-23-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Noticed a lot the first few months off the sauce. Haven't paid that much attention lately. Just like if family was over and left two beers or part of a bottle in my fridge. I used to think wow that's inconsiderate and I would have to have it removed or it would drive me nuts. Now the stuff sits there until the next time they show up and I don't even notice it. Until now! Thanks!
Kidding
Old 09-23-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm watching a movie right now where most of the characters are drinking white wine. Ugh. Looks awesome!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's pretty insidious I think. I'm a bit curious to know, though, what actors actually do drink on set. There's no way it's really going to be alcohol, especially on the twenty-seventh take :=]
Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It can be mentally tough to see people drinking in an impervious fashion on TV or in a movie.

I just have to realise, that isn't my reality at all.

If I was on that show, acting as myself, they would all be looking at me aghast as I drank 3 or 4 to their one.

Somewhere around the ten drink mark, I'd think I had become invisible and that might mean I would grab one of the female characters on her backside and think she wouldn't notice.

Then I'd start helping myself to other peoples drinks, take a pee in a pot plant, pull out a few other great party tricks, nudie runs were always a go to, this would be the twenty drink stage by now.

I was a real fun guy when I drank.

Watch "Leaving Las Vegas" for further insight into my character.

I really "got" Nicolas Cage's character in that movie.