Notices

Day 2 - feeling good ....and then

Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - feeling good ....and then

Ugh....Day 2 - I'm feeling so good today , and as the day goes on I feel like I want to pick up a bottle of wine on the way home and celebrate. Its driving me crazy - I'm not going to stop at the store, but I can't believe how much my brain is making me think I can have just one glass and stop.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's the power of addiction!!

Support and reaching out when your mind is trying to convince you of the many fairytales and myths it will throw at you over the next few weeks is the way forward!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only an alcoholic would think that they should maybe celebrate sobriety with wine! ;-)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Once I get through the "witching hour" which for me is from 6:00p - 7:00p - I will be fine. For some reason - I struggle at that time of night - I will just keep myself busy
I can't believe i Still enjoy the taste of wine after how many times I have been sick from drinking it....
Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Make concrete plans to do something other than drink at that time - go to the library, take a walk, mow the lawn, bake a cake, anything other than sitting around waiting for the cravings to go away. You are very, very early in sobriety but these things definitely subside over time - keep up the good work!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 2 as well.. I also thought at one point today that I could have just one and stop. I know myself better than that tho so I'm staying strong. You too!!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Josharon - good one. We do have endless reasons to drink.

What I learned from this site is in order for you to be better for your kids you have to be better for yourself first. Day two is awesome and your well on your way. Keep it up and post often.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to this. I would work like a dog all day long and then "reward" myself with a bottle of wine or some beer until I figured out I was punishing myself. My new reward is a latte.

Hang in there!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Going through the same thing, Day 2 and keep thinking how nice it would be to drink! I am going to fight through it one more day!! Hope you stay strong, will be rooting for you!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sprout50 View Post
I can relate to this. I would work like a dog all day long and then "reward" myself with a bottle of wine or some beer until I figured out I was punishing myself. My new reward is a latte.

Hang in there!
Ugh I know... why do we think a reward is alcohol? Why do we think we NEED reward for doing what everyone else who is still alive is doing? I mean what da heck! I thought I would reward myself for 5 days of being good...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have done all of this!! I can't believe there are many people just like me. I had a great day yesterday and had the exact same thought of stopping off and picking up a bottle of wine....or two (1.5's) Thanks for sharing, this is really helping me gain perspective. Previously my goal was to go 100 days without drinking, then I figured I could start up again...moderately. I did it 10 years ago, then moderately went out the window, realizing that this is forever, still tough to grasp at day 4, but I know I will be a better husband and father for it....off to the gym, last three workouts have been great I am waking up feeling refreshed instead of hungover... good luck everyone...
Old 09-24-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's the hard part. When you're feeling good, you want to feel a little better. Just one. But we know it won't just be one and you'll be back in the nightmare again. Hang in there.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i found eating lessen my craving.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I too struggled yesterday during my "witching hour". Hang in there - we have a lot of years of habits to change. Think how much money and calories we're saving!!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeBetterforkids View Post
Ugh....Day 2 - I'm feeling so good today , and as the day goes on I feel like I want to pick up a bottle of wine on the way home and celebrate. Its driving me crazy - I'm not going to stop at the store, but I can't believe how much my brain is making me think I can have just one glass and stop.

Funny thing is, if you'd had a rotten day you'd probably want the bottle as well to nurse your wounds. This to me is the power of chemical dependency.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't make it through my witching hour last night. I don't know why- not a bad day. Reviewing "how the tape ends" has been working for me but it was like I just pushed aside everything I knew to be true ( it was my AV talking, I would feel guilty, wake up with a hangover and be sluggish all day long) and mindlessly opened the bottle. 10 days sober and I lost it.

Starting over I guess
Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well - I made it through witching hour last night - man was it tough. My 2 year old was screaming through dinner. My husband wasn't home and there were 6 beers in the fridge - which I did not touch. For about 1 hour, I felt like crying and thought how much a beer would make me feel better. Then I looked at my screaming toddler and realized that millions of people "deal" with this without drinking - I can too. And I did it. I cant tell you the last time I went 2 nights in a row without a drink (other than being pregnant). Day 3 here we go! Thank you for all of the support - it really helps me!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lhtlZ View Post
I didn't make it through my witching hour last night. I don't know why- not a bad day. Reviewing "how the tape ends" has been working for me but it was like I just pushed aside everything I knew to be true ( it was my AV talking, I would feel guilty, wake up with a hangover and be sluggish all day long) and mindlessly opened the bottle. 10 days sober and I lost it.

Starting over I guess
You're brave to admit that you slipped - one day at a time. I cant tell you how many times I went only 1 day and then drank double the next night because I felt so good. We are all in this together! You really can do it
Old 09-24-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

BeBetter, I always called mine the "bewitching hour." Interesting that other people have this hour too.

Hang in! It is tough for a while. I am starting over after 8 days, but I proved I could make it 8 days so I am going to prove it again.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you not touching the beer!