Notices

One thing after another

Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Have had several business partners. Never worked out for me. Mountain man Bob is correct, it is like a marriage and often one of those at a time is enough. If your partner is affecting you to this extent then perhaps it is time for a change. If anyone ever hung up the phone on me I would tell them the next day that it was the last time. Businesses cant be run by children and children hang up on each other.

If you can go it alone then I would do that. The only partnership that ever worked for me in business were the ones where I owned 51%. Some people make it work, but very few make it work well.
Good luck
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
Have had several business partners. Never worked out for me. Mountain man Bob is correct, it is like a marriage and often one of those at a time is enough. If your partner is affecting you to this extent then perhaps it is time for a change. If anyone ever hung up the phone on me I would tell them the next day that it was the last time. Businesses cant be run by children and children hang up on each other.

If you can go it alone then I would do that. The only partnership that ever worked for me in business were the ones where I owned 51%. Some people make it work, but very few make it work well.
Good luck
I think that is terrible advice.

Think it through.

If staying sober means jettisoning anyone or anything in our lives that upsets us, we would end up with virtually zero.... Except alcohol, which is our great comforter and can do no wrong (in our eyes and thoughts)

My advice to the OP, look for your part in how the conversation went and eventually ended.

If you can take an honest look and admit your part, make a conscious decision to do better next time.

Very slippery slope when an alcoholic starts cutting people and things out of their lives.

Just leads to isolation and isolation is the path of "no accountability "
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sorry Sadie - I should have been more supportive. You did ask our opinion. I am normally not like that - problem is I don't know what I am like since I got sober. I seem to be more impatient lately. Drinking never solved any of my problems just numbed them for awhile but ultimately they needed to be addressed.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You fell down. Now get back up today and be alcohol free. If you have alcohol in the house, I would get rid of it. Don't make it easy to slip again.

I have often thought about putting a post it note on my driver's license asking people to not serve or sell me alcohol.

Take the money you spend on booze and put it towards your business!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SadieJack View Post
I first want to admit that I fell off the wagon last night. Too much BS going on and I got too stressed out.

The tipping point last night was a fight with my business partner. I am creating a new website for our business and she couldn't care less. I want her input and she shuts down. I really can't do this alone... I need her input.

So I basically confronted her about it last night on the phone and she hung up on me. What the hell? I am doing all the web design, content, marketing, etc. She is doing nothing.

So... after my conversation with my brother Sunday night that ended badly and now this, I drank. Not a lot, but I did.

Thoughts?
You drank because you are still addicted to alcohol, that's the reason every single time you do it, not whatever external event you imagine leading to it. Your brain is addicted, it craves the drug, and it will use any excuse to get it.

Be honest though, did drinking improve either of your situations? We always imagine alcohol as providing a benefit, but that's the drug and the addiction making us think that. The rational you knows that alcohol adds no benefit to your business or personal relationships, but the addicted you doesn't care.

It will be hard to quit as long as you believe that alcohol provides a benefit to you when confronted with those types of life situations. You need to see past the addictive voice and the nonsense it is telling you. Alcohol never de-stressed anyone, it always makes things worse. At best when you drink you become the ostrich with its head in the sand. Would you ever look at an ostrich with its head in the sand and think to yourself "wow, I wish I could be that de-stressed and relaxed." No, you would think how foolish it was.