Notices

new

Old 09-23-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new

Hello

I am new to here, have been having many arguments with myself over the past year or so as to the amount I drink. I know I drink to much nearly every night. if I don't have a drink it is probably because I feel to ill not because i can make that decision myself. i work full time have a responsible job, 4 children from 18-22 and 2 grandchildren with another on the way. my youngest at 18 has autisim and ADHD although fully functioning going to college ETC he is very much a stressor. my health is suffering i am overweight due to the amount of wine i drink. My house is a mess and basically i just scrape by day to day. i spend as much as i can with my grandchildren and on the whole have a good relationship with my close family. the only time i have for me is spent drinking. i don't have a partner to drink with or nag me to stop. where do i start ???
Old 09-23-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. You sound as if you have plenty to keep yourself busy. That's how I did it at first just do anything to stay busy. The support here is also great so keep reading and posting. I was drinking heavily for 20+ years and terrified what I would do without it but trust me you will look and feel so much better. You can do this if I can anyone can... Good luck!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Timeofchange

why not stop for you?

find other, healthy life affirming things to do with your me time, maybe think about some ways to meet some new sober mates?

It can all start from something as simple as that

D
Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would read ppl personal stories to get an idea of what happens when alcoholics stop drinking

i have read more than a few.....could see myself in some of them

stopping drinking is by far the best decision ive ever made

hope it all works out
Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Like you, I am outwardly functional but inside, I am a mess (with the added stress of a 10 year old with ADHD and autism...a nice excuse to drink!) It may take some time for you to make some decisions about your drinking, but you're off to a good start by coming here. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timeforchange7 View Post
Hello

i spend as much as i can with my grandchildren and on the whole have a good relationship with my close family. the only time i have for me is spent drinking. i don't have a partner to drink with or nag me to stop. where do i start ???

Hi Timeforchange and welcome to a chance for sobriety and healthy living if alcohol consuming is eliminated totally.
How? By not picking up the first drink and that requires self honesty about our drinking and accepting as fact that we cannot drink in safety one day at a time. I and millions have been successful using AA meetingS and reading posts on this site.
It does take work and changing old behaviors but is very worth it emotionally and mentally.
The great thing is anyone can start this second instead of procrastinating more.

BE WELL
Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

It all starts with a Day 1, scraping by was my existence too for a long time, but surely we deserve so much more?

You can make it happen and turn things around!!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you're here!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You sound like you have a very busy life and maybe you haven't been used to spending time doing things just for you. Maybe something as simple as taking a walk or calling a sober friend could be the beginning of change.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You came to the right place. Like you, I have a 19 yr old son with Asperger's. I know that stress.

We are here for you!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Maybe it's time to embrace a change for yourself. Glad you are here.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome I am on day 2 and I am so glad you are here. It's a wonderful place for support. I love reading the posts. I find the more I support other people, the more I am comforted and strengthened as well. You are not alone.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. You'll find a lot of support and useful info here.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

THanks everyone for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it and feel more confident already. I will keep reading and posting and try to be as supportive back as I can 😊