Notices

Birthday fail

Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Birthday fail

As I posted here not long ago, I feared that not drinking on my birthday would be tough during the beginning of attempting to get sober. I had to work Sunday so I was able to dodge the friends who reached out earlier in the day. However, by the time I'd gotten home and made a couple excuses that I was busy to a few more, I finally gave in to one of them. So, the feelings of regret have surfaced again today as I desperately want to stop drinking again. I believe that it should be easier now that my birthday is over with now but I blame only myself. I have to want sobriety bad enough and I kno that it's basically the only thing I want right now besides happiness, which I believe one will lead to another anyway. I also think it's crucial for me to check in here everyday until I can surround myself with sober people in my everyday activities because as of right now, all of the "friends" that I have are drinkers.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There'll always be a reason to drink SHH. It was a daily thing for me...can't quit cos...whatever.

To break the wheel I really needed a plan, a solid support base and a willingness to ask for help before it was too late.

If I could do it you could too.

Think about what you've been doing to stay sober - then think about things you could add to that?

D
Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's always going to be an "occasion", weddings, invites to other people's birthdays, weddings, funerals, Xmas and New Years aren't too far away.

Building a new Sober life is going to take carving out a new lifestyle, something that is stronger than what time of the year or what day of the week it is!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck getting a plan together
Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was going to say the same thing everyone else said. There will always be a reason to drink. Halloween is coming up. That's a big drinking day. After that is Christmas and New Years. In between is life. Birthdays, weddings, funerals, successes and failures at work. Babies being born. Football season, a baseball game, vacations, I stubbed my big toe, it's raining, it's sunny, it's cold, it's hot, I'm bored, Wow! I'm having a great time!.... You get the picture.

You get and stay sober despite all that life throws you, good and bad. You don't drink no matter what. I cannot entertain the idea of having alcohol as part of my life. It was hard not to reach out to my old fallback when I reached some milestone in life. I missed it. But I don't miss waking up feeling ashamed and afraid and anxious and sick. What kind of plan do you have? What kind of support do you have? Having those things was vital to me. I couldn't have done it without them. Keep going. Hang in there.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love your post Ruby, especially the part about stubbing your big toe. Funny.

It is so true Sober, that you need to have a plan and life will happen. You need to figure out what to do to get and stay sober and follow through. I know for me, there was never the perfect day to quit. You just have to take the leap.

Hugs.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with all that's been said.

Until I had support, a plan for those ever-present "things that come up", a true and deep resolve to remain sober and took daily actions to solidify it all.... I got nowhere. There was always another excuse. Another "just this time". Another event or occasion.

It also, honestly, took getting to a point of being absolutely fed up with it and also to a point where loved ones around me were issuing ultimatums and I was just barely dodging serious troubles in my life.

I hope you don't have to get to that point.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a mistake to believe it will be easier now that your birthday is over.

As others have said, there is always a reason to drink and never a good time to stop.

I hope you do what you need to do to get sober.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^ except that there IS a good time to stop. there is always a VERY GOOD TIME TO STOP.

NOW
Old 09-23-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

happy birthday
Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, it is tough in your early days of sobriety to be in drinking situations with drinking friends. Best to avoid that situation like the plague. But like others have said, there WILL be a time, in weeks, months, even years to come that you will be placed in that setting. This helped me. I practiced in my mind looking one of my drinking friends in the face and saying "No none for me today. I'm quitting for a while." No excused needed. I would sit in a quite room and say to my self various phrases that say the same thing. "No, I am not drinking today." "No thanks, I'll pass" "Just water please".

It really helped when it came time for the real thing. The matter of dealing with still drinking friends in my early days was tough. But I got passed it (and you can too) and now they actually keep teas and soft drinks in their fridge for me. It was TOUGH, but worth it. Remember, there is a difference between friends that drink, and drinking buddies. I still have friends that drink a lot, but don't hang out with drinking buddies. Good Luck, Be Strong.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

totally agree with all of that!

thinking it out and visualizing it ahead of time made a big difference for me.

having a plan, right down to the specific words I would use. Envisioning myself at dinner with colleagues, at a bonfire with friends, at a BBQ, a business after hours mixer.... all of them, picturing myself saying no thank you and specifically what I would drink instead.

At first it was scary and awkward but the visualization and planning made a huge difference. It got easier the more I did it and build a new habit and realized not that many people even really noticed or cared.

In conrast, every time I just vaguely thought "I'm not going to drink" but didn't have a specific plan or visualization of how I'd deal with it - I wound up drinking and regretting.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad your back, don't beat your self up you may have needed this lesson like i did. My first attempt I went 83 day and I felt untouchable then 84 I gave in and drank. Since then I realized how much I really do want and need this change. I'm learning how to counter my av and remind my self that drinking make me depressed and I don't need that. You can do this
Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Get back on track....Agree with the wisdom posted of others. It's not people, places, events that make us drink, it's US!

Sunday I celebrated my first sober birthday in many, many years. It took me way to long to get to a point where the Willingness to stay sober became more important to me than anything else.

I am not judging you by any means - I have zero moral high ground. But, it is possible to get through life's milestones without the celebration turning to what kills us - body, mind and spirit.

Keep on truckin, and make a new plan stan.....
peace
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The last time I drank was on my birthday. I turned 30 and I was throwing my very own pity party That was almost 8 months ago. A birthday is a perfect day to quit
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The only excuse I needed was being conscious