Notices

AA meeting tonight

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meeting tonight

Finally asked someone for help and it starts today.

I have tried antabuse and reading books but I need help from people who know and the AA seems to be the answer to me at this moment.

My mind set needs changing as its clearly working wrong the AA do this but if you google this some say its a brain washing cult

So keeping my fingers cross and I am determined to give this my up most commitment
Old 09-23-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi gmc

you posted in our Daily Support Forum which isn't really for new threads...thats why there've been no responses

Hope tonight goes well

D
Old 09-23-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have an open mind. Try to put aside what you have read and just sit and listen.

I chose AA and it is right for me. I love the fellowship and the program but AA is not the only answer. It is one among many recovery options.

The real honesty you have is reaching out for help. That is key to recovery. That is the first step. I hope you enjoy the meeting.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My brain needed a lot of washing. Thank God I found AA because it literally saved my life
Old 09-23-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news.Go with an open mind.If possible try different meetings.

Wishing you well.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gmc38609 View Post
Finally asked someone for help and it starts today.

My mind set needs changing as its clearly working wrong the AA do this but if you google this some say its a brain washing cult

So keeping my fingers cross and I am determined to give this my up most commitment

It may be a cult, I’ve never been a religious person but do believe in a higher power, however for many years I’ve not heard much religious overtone except the word God. If that’s cultish so be it.
Many of us do go there for brain retraining to get and STAY sober. Notice I used the word stay as it works IF we work it and that requires work.

BE WELL
Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

With you all the way dude
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by gmc38609 View Post
but if you google this some say its a brain washing cult
There are diverse opinions about things available on the internet? Who'd've thunk it!

I'm not a 12-stepper, but I've been to more than a hundred AA meetings. They are not all the same, so I recommend trying a few in your area before deciding if it is for you or not.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's a process most people are resistant to. As humans we need a spiritual and human connection. AA fosters this. A person can get this somewhere else (church, other recovery programs, family) but I find people in AA understand what I struggle with and offer me hope of how I can be if I simply do what they did. People in AA have loved me until I can learn to love myself. Your addict brain will tell you everything and anything that it's a cult, it's not for you, let's do it our way - you can't believe everything you think. My thinking got me in the position I was in the first place. Despair, humiliation, sickness, self-hatred - living in the AA is definitely better than before. There are days I get so aggravated and resent AA, again I know it's just my addict brain telling me whatever it needs to get closer to a drink. I am giving AA a year of my time and if I don't feel I've gained anything - I can always go back to my way.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaylaaKent View Post
It's a process most people are resistant to. As humans we need a spiritual and human connection. AA fosters this. A person can get this somewhere else (church, other recovery programs, family) but I find people in AA understand what I struggle with and offer me hope of how I can be if I simply do what they did. People in AA have loved me until I can learn to love myself. Your addict brain will tell you everything and anything that it's a cult, it's not for you, let's do it our way - you can't believe everything you think. My thinking got me in the position I was in the first place. Despair, humiliation, sickness, self-hatred - living in the AA is definitely better than before. There are days I get so aggravated and resent AA, again I know it's just my addict brain telling me whatever it needs to get closer to a drink. I am giving AA a year of my time and if I don't feel I've gained anything - I can always go back to my way.

Excellent post. I remember the expression “if you don’t like what we have your misery is easily refunded.”
That got my attention.

BE WELL
Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your meeting goes well.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do this!!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to first meeting last night... I've tried to quit on my own but always failed. Having support is the key I believe.. I went to first meeting last night. I also joined an support group.. I think SR is what really helps me.. I have the app on Phone and ipad and someone is always around here..
Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Wow - your post was me not long ago!
I found a one two punch like many others here of AA and SR>

Heard a speaker on YT the other day - Said a woman told him - If I could give you the gift of recovery I wouldn't. He thought that was a lousy thing to say.....

She replied - That is because I would never steal the experience of the journey........

It sound oddly twisted, but I am sure others here would agree - It's worth everything you have.

Listen for the similarities in AA members stories and not the differences I was told early on. So true. Take just one thought away from each meeting, don't try to digest and analyze everything to death, is what helped me.

We can find support for our own beliefs or negativity on google for anything that pops in our head. Listen to your heart - it's your sobriety, no one else's

Enjoy the sober journey, where ever that leads.
Glad you are here, Welcome!!!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Meeting went well, I was very nervous to start off with but got more relaxed as I heard people speak.

The main message was get involved and work the steps to help you change and I can see how It works

So definately going to going again and was suprised how many times I laughed

Thanks for your messages
Old 09-23-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you enjoyed the meeting and found it helpful.