Notices

New to this - 1 day sober

Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this - 1 day sober

Hi all - I have visited this site so many times, but never actually registered until now. I have been a highly functioning alcoholic for years (only quitting when pregnant) and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of feeling sick during the day and not having the energy to play with my kids on the weekends because I am hungover. This morning - I woke up with a hangover and had an instant panic attack. I hate hiding how much I drink and the self loathing that goes with it. I'm looking forward to this and need all the support I can get. Im fine during the day - once I get home - I find it hard to night crack open a bottle of wine.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day 1 as well (again) and I have a weakness for wine as well. I threw away all of my wine bottles and wine openers last night, registered on SR today and am starting journalling again. I am glad you are here BeBetterforkids and look forward to being on this journey with you. We can do this!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, BeBetterforkids, to SR. You will find so much information, support, understanding and encouragement here.

Check out the Class of September, 2014 if you think you would like to join other recent newcomers.

Wine was my poison, too.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I'm a Mom, and I was a bonified member of the two-bottle-a-night club. So today is the day for you to come back to the person you once were, before alcohol took over and made you sick and miserable and ashamed. Fantastic! You can do this. Day by day, although at times it will be minute by minute. Read this site as much as you can. It will help. Get through the next 24 hours without drinking. If I did it, you can!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

We need to break down those old habits and create new ones, I always used to keep in mind that when I came home from school as a kid, I never opened a bottle of wine or stopped by the liquor store, of course I didn't, instead I went outside to play with friends or stayed indoors and played video games, either way alcohol wasn't a part of my routine.

Then slowly it started to creep in, new habits formed after work, I couldn't go a night without alcohol, but that's all it was a habit, addiction took a hold and cemented it to the point of not remembering any other way to enjoy my evenings!!

But that's not how it has to be, we can once again learn new habits!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am right there with you! It's not easy, but you have lots of support here. Thanks for posting and welcome. :-)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first day too, had a terrible experience at the weekend and scared myself to death, no more! Good luck
Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello, (official) welcome to sober recovery

Nice to meet you
Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Here is the link for Class of September, 2014.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here! I'm a mommy as well...

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome BeBetter. It's great to meet you.

It sounds like you're ready to make this big change. I know how you feel - I was so disgusted with feeling sick and miserable. In the end, there was never any fun in it. It was dangerous & unpredictable. You don't need it in your life! You can do this.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeBetterforkids View Post
Hi all - I have visited this site so many times, but never actually registered until now. I have been a highly functioning alcoholic for years (only quitting when pregnant) and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of feeling sick during the day and not having the energy to play with my kids on the weekends because I am hungover. This morning - I woke up with a hangover and had an instant panic attack. I hate hiding how much I drink and the self loathing that goes with it. I'm looking forward to this and need all the support I can get. Im fine during the day - once I get home - I find it hard to night crack open a bottle of wine.
Yep, all those things sound SO familiar. The poor decisions, the guilt, the hangovers, the lethargy, the money, the shame. WHY DO WE DO IT ?? I'm day one (with a bad hangover). And like you, I want to be successful mainly for the kids. Good luck. I'm starting treatment tomorrow. I can not do it on my own, that is very apparent.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think we cling to it because it was once fun & manageable. For me, that was decades ago. It was really hard to admit I'd crossed the line from social to alcoholic drinking. No going back.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am on day 1 just like you. I am also a mother and your post reminds me of myself. I hate when I am hungover and cannot be the best mother to my kids because I do not feel well. I am praying this time I can whip this, My father who quit drinking years ago told me that you will stop when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am there!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hopeful

BeBetter, You made the right choice to come here. I'm only a few weeks in (not all of them sober) and I am getting stronger every day thanks to the support and encouragement I have found here. I "fell" on Saturday night and had some beer (which I hate-stupid, stupid) but I still feel really good that I did not have any wine for 12 days. When I drink a glass of wine, it almost always ends up being 2 bottles in a night and I go through all of the guilt, regret, shame that you talked about. I'm just so sick of it and I don't want it in my life.
Hang in there! There are a lot of us here for you.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things BeBetterforkids
Great to see so many folks giving it a go.

I can recommend the September Class thread as some great support - do check it out, and maybe join if you haven;t already??

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-13.html

D
Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all. I am back on day one. I need to do this. It is not helping my health at all. Had blood work yesterday and waiting to find out. I know that this is destroying my blood cells.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Tonyac42
Have you got a plan to help make this time stick for good?

D
Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Talking

Hi all - thank you so much for the support - I feel very welcome and it is nice to speak with people that understand what I am going through and dont make me feel worse than I already do sometimes. I was unable to login last night, but I did not have a drop to drink and I feel fantastic today!! I was up nice and early with the kids - got everyone ready and am at work feeling refreshed. I spoke with my husband about this and he is supporting me 100% (which means no bringing a bottle of wine home after work). I am taking this one moment at a time, but Im really happy I did this (I drink every night)
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

BeBetter - I'm glad you had a good morning. I too am not the nicest mom when I'm hungover and can say that this morning was much better - no yelling at my kids and even though I didn't sleep great I feel so much better this morning than I have in the past few years.