Notices

New and terrified

Old 09-21-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and terrified

I've known I had an issue with alcohol for a long time but I a, ways gave the reasoning or excuse to myself that it never affected my work. And now it is. This last year I've lost respect and trust from my employer and also lost friends. I've tried giving it up and I can't, there's thst voice that says this last time, just one and you'll be ok, you deserve a treat so just have one glass. I'm at the point where if I don't change I'll lose everything. Close family know and ignore it as they don't know how to help. My doctor has been useless. I'm at a loss.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4910403

Hello welcome to sober recovery see if this helps
Old 09-21-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey friend welcome! You're in good company here amongst us addicts.

As you've realized just because its not affecting work doesn't mean alcohol isn't affecting you, time to change right?

Pursue the forums here, you will find help, and advice. Don't fret friend there is an answer and I believe you can find it, awesome job taking the first step and posting.

Good day friend, hang in there.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Katie, to SR. You will find support, encouragement and understanding here.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Katie, welcome! Theres a number of different treatment to choose from these days. Sonce you mention that little voice, I'll start with AVRT and Rational Recovery. Addictive Voice Recognition Technique is a technique you can learn to recognize that little Addictive Voice. For me, I always felt like it was something outside of myself. you might give this a look first.

AA is a good program. for me, AA helped me clean up my life and regain my self respect. It's a lot of work, and worth it. I did have a sponsor and did work the Steps. I don't go to AA anymore but know I need to do something for my sobriety daily.

I hope this gets you started. Stay, read around. Learn as much as you can. You might take a look at the Class of September and the 24 Hour Club for support.

we really do get sober, recover and continue to live healthy, serene lives. welcome!

Love from Lenina
Old 09-21-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Don't be terrified, Katie. There's about 140,000 of us here with you. We get by together.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Katie and welcome. There is no time like the present to give up the booze and start making some positive changes in your life. It may not be easy, but we're doing it and sobriety is such a wonderful thing. Read and write on this site and we can help and give you support. You can do this.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A lot of us were terrified when we did an internet search and found SR and read and wrote our first posts.
I was!
I was probably sat or slumped hungover in bed, thinking 'why do I plan to have one or two drinks and before I know it, it is morning and I have blacked out again?'

You never have to feel terrified again if you really want.
You just have to stay away from that first drink.
That was a massive learning point for me and when I did it, and still do it now, it reduced my drunken shameful behaviour to non existent.

I have over 2 years without a drink and I can honestly say, hand on heart, my life is completely improved.

I still have niggles and worries and upsets, but NONE of them are the product of drinking too much.
Dealing with them is usually plain sailing compared to the giant colossal messes I created when I drank.

For me there have been many, may countless times when I have regretted drinking.
I have never regretted not drinking once.

I did it with a bit of AA and a lot of SR.

I learnt about the 'yet's'.........I have not lost my job through drinking YET........I have not lost friends through drinking YET.............I have not lost my home because of drinking YET...............I have not hurt someone else with my drinking YET............meaning that they could all of happened.

There will be people here that will be able to say those Yet's did happen to them.
They did loose their home, family and friends, some even their freedom.

You don't have to hit the lowest low or the rockiest bottom.
You can get of the ladder whenever you want.

At first it can be hard to live without drink.
For me I found it easier to concentrate on the short term as opposed to the long term when it came to drinking.
I never dealt with longer than the day I was dealing with really.
I still don't over 2 years later.

I was not very in the know when I arrived here about addiction and alcohol.
However time spent reading and posting has helped me see that alcohol offers no benefits to my life.

I hope you stick around and post.
We understand here and we have heard everything before, nothing really shocks.

I wish you the best xx
Old 09-21-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you can't stop drinking on your own, get help to stop. Try AA. Ask your doctor for help. Go to a counselor. (I see a counselor and it really helps)

Gather all the support you can get and go for it. You won't regret getting sober.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Katie, welcome, and I'm glad you know you must stop drinking.

Many drs are clueless about addiction, as are most people who are not addicts. Here, we do understand and we're here to help.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Katie....

AA was a great jumpstart into sobriety for me when I couldn't seem to get rolling on my own.

I also found this forum to be an incredible source of strength, support and insight.

Might be a winning combination for you, too. Probably worth a shot anyway, right?

Nothing to lose, your Life to gain.

you can do this.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you Katie! We are here to help.

I was in the same situation when I decided I couldn't trust myself any longer. Each time it got in my system all bets were off. There was never just one drink - it had become part of my daily routine. I even started taking it to work to avoid the shakes. You're doing a good thing by reclaiming your life - you don't need that poison. I'm glad you joined us - you're among friends who understand.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Katie

My experience has been that now I am sober, a lot of people have said things like, we were wondering when you were going to do something about it. (drinking)

Sigh, and I thought I had covered my tracks so well all those years.

I'm 62 days, it can be done.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm scared, too. But it's nice to know there are so many others who understand your fears.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Katie. You are among friends here. There is a ton of support so post often and read others' posts often.

You can do this. Hugs to you.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Kate! I could relate to the terrified post! It will get better, this is a great place!!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Katie, you say your family knows but ignores because they don't know how to help. Have you ever just said to them out right-I am an alcoholic? I ask because this was a turning point for me. I just said it out right to my husband and he said what can I do to help. You might be surprised at the relief it is to admit to those you love and the support you get. Even if they just spend sometime with you in early recovery doing sober activities etc....

You have come to the right place. Everyone here knows what you are going through.