Notices

Just controling the intake

Old 09-28-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I had lota of trouble with headaches and sleep. I am on day 8. Headaches are either gone or not that bad. But dang it sleep is tough. I stayed up til almost 2 am just laying there in bed...
Old 09-28-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

You're doin' it! Go Alex!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Good for you for hanging in there, Alex!!! I am right there with you (Day 11) and this weekend has been BRUTAL. Take care and keep posting.
Hi Josh and thank you for sharing your thoughts on the weekends... makes me feel more ''normal'' to struggle like that because at one point, you just ask yourself if you're the only one living this struggle inside!

Even with some strategies and keeping yourself active and keeping your mind on to something make things diffenrent, but not easier!! This weekend was brutal! I felt like there was nothing I could do to think of something else!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hey Alex - checking in on you. Looks like you are doing great. Thought I'd share that I went through much of the same - felt great during the day, struggled at night and basically thanked god every morning I woke up victorious from the night before. Our US anthem has this one line "....and the flag was still there". That line really made sense to me.

A couple of things that helped me: herbal tea, being able to stay awake past 9pm, and still waking up strong in the morning at 6am. Shooting for new pace times in the morning - I was an 8:30 mile, I got to about 6:45. Being able to be the designated driver for once (and for good I guess given the last three years).

Here is the good stuff - living and thinking sober. Taking a personal inventory of the way I wanted to live and doing it. Not stressing lost keys, or angry people. Recognizing the world didn't center around me, and really believing I could go through each day without the world falling on my head. Changing from running every other day to every day, but feeling stronger each passing day. Recognizing that my wife is my rock and not my antagonist. Understanding that if I could make others happy, that did a lot more to quell my anxieties than drowning in liquor.

Sobriety is a gift, learn to see its hand in your life, and you will never turn back.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briseis View Post

I use my fitness routine to justfy/prepare for my weekend binges.
Hi Briseis and thanks for stopping by my diary!

The line quoted right above was exactly me!! Training much much harder and longer on weekends to justify and burn all the calories from my binge drinking!! So I managed to stay lean and to look healthy (LOOK is the big word here) because liver pain does show-up in your shape! sad but true!

Keep-up training my friend, it's our best friend in this fight!!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkTx View Post
Hey Alex - checking in on you. Looks like you are doing great. Thought I'd share that I went through much of the same - felt great during the day, struggled at night and basically thanked god every morning I woke up victorious from the night before. Our US anthem has this one line "....and the flag was still there". That line really made sense to me.

A couple of things that helped me: herbal tea, being able to stay awake past 9pm, and still waking up strong in the morning at 6am. Shooting for new pace times in the morning - I was an 8:30 mile, I got to about 6:45. Being able to be the designated driver for once (and for good I guess given the last three years).

Here is the good stuff - living and thinking sober. Taking a personal inventory of the way I wanted to live and doing it. Not stressing lost keys, or angry people. Recognizing the world didn't center around me, and really believing I could go through each day without the world falling on my head. Changing from running every other day to every day, but feeling stronger each passing day. Recognizing that my wife is my rock and not my antagonist. Understanding that if I could make others happy, that did a lot more to quell my anxieties than drowning in liquor.

Sobriety is a gift, learn to see its hand in your life, and you will never turn back.
Man oh man are these words awesome!! Thank you!

It's exactlt what I was missing this weekend... POSITIVITY about being sober!! I must admit that I see it too much as a battle and a negative one, because i find it to be very hard!! I know that I still need to win this battle in order to live better and to the fullest in everything that I do, but I still see my sobriety as something negative because it takes me away from things that I used to really enjoy (lets face it, it's super fun to be drunk! )

And 6:45 per miles is a very good pace my friend!! Congrats!! Keep it up and running everyday is hard on the body, stay injury free, stay safe...

and thank you again for this positivity... I shall be working on that this week to be better equiped for next weekend! I will make a list of everything positive that's been going on in my life since I'm sober and I will read it every morning!!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I had lota of trouble with headaches and sleep. I am on day 8. Headaches are either gone or not that bad. But dang it sleep is tough. I stayed up til almost 2 am just laying there in bed...
Hey jryan... day 10 today.... and it took me 2 hours to fall asleep last night!! just lying there in my bad, thinking about my life... Woke up this morning all sweaty... again... I guess it takes more then 10 days to stop night sweats and to fall asleep easily! Hang in there... we all know it's temporary!

And congrats on your day 8!!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erin8 View Post
so proud of you alexemk! Keep going. You make think you want to drink but I caved and it soooooo was NOT worth it. I didn't enjoy it. Not even a little bit. And now I'm starting all over. . . stay strong!

Oh no! poor you!! it hurts to battle the addiction, but I know it hurts even more to fall for it... so hold your head-up high, boost yourself up and try again!

We can all do this!!

There's a line that I say in my mind when I'm training and I'm suffering and it fits right in for alcoholics: ''Pain is temporary! It may last a minute, an hour, a week, a day or even a year, but eventualy IT WILL SUBSIDE, and something else will take it's place..... IF I QUIT HOWEVER, IT WILL LAST FOREVER''

I think I'll even but it as my signature now!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey Alex - I think you nailed it again. I think it is all about positive perspective. Even when it takes you two hours to sleep, imagine that when drunk. Getting by on 4 or 6 hours of sleep is so much easier without a hangover. Every sober step I took, there was always upside. I could run longer, I could sleep shorter (or longer) but be just effective. I could fulfill my husbandry duties, my parental obligations. In fact there isn't one thing I can't do better sober. you are right, being drunk "seemed" like a lot of fun, and I was a happy drunk..... no cursing, no fighting. Just love and merriment. There is always a but....I quit without taking alcohol out of my life. We have tons of it at home, I go to bars, my wife drinks like a normie, our friends all drink around me. And even though they are always positive settings, there is always some point in the evening when the conversation gets awkward. When somebody has one too many and an off color comment is made. When the couple we are visiting with has one more sip and then the snippy comments start coming out. I even had a dear dear friend at a huge Christmas party say to me that her husband is always so romantic when he drinks, to bad he can't do anything about it (as she slobbered the statement). The upside - I don't touch a lick of anything, I control my time, and I come and go whenever I'm ready to. And you know what else, no matter what the hour, I know I will get home safe. Thank god my wife only has 1-2 drinks at a party, so when I'm ready, she leaves.

And that isn't even the good stuff. Wait till you see your work productivity go up. And the "present" state of mind you have with your family. When you can take your kids biking without fear of conking out or putting them in harms way.

My secret: whenever you have the nervous itch to drink, take a moment and think about that which you are able to do without the drink in your hand at that moment. If you really frame it in your mind, you just might be amazed.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey Alex.
Your the man!!!
proud of you bud.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Day 11

Feeling great today! Night sweats again last night... took me about 90 minutes to fall asleep and woke up pretty tired again, but A1 at my day job once I fully wake-up!

It's crazy how I feel strong during the week days... The AV is not here much... sometimes I still crave a little alcohol here and there, but it's easy to hold myself from doing stupid things! Not like last weekend, when I was about to ask my girlfriend to tie myself up to my bed and untie me monday morning...

I lost about 4 pounds so far and I don't want to lose more... I eat a little bit more and I crave sugar alot, specialy at night, but all the calories from the alcohol consumption that I was putting into my body is missing now... so I guess that craving sugar and calories is normal... I just hope my weight will stay as it is...

I feel that my brain is getting out of the numbness of regular alcohol intake... I suprised myself wanting to go back studying some stuff to grow my business a little bit more, or just to focus my mind on something new... wow! I love this! I feel now that getting involve into something else is possible!?!?

Ok so this is it for today... day 11, that's how I feel!!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is very progressive - it just keeps getting worse. I think you already acknowledged that you cannot drink moderately. One of the best quotes I saw on here is : "People who consume alcohol in moderation don't have a voice telling them that they CAN drink in moderation".

Just remind yourself after your drinking bouts that it just keeps getting worse than the times before.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work, AlexEmk!! Day 11 is the best day or, so I have read!

DrunkTX, I'm jealous of your 6:45 mile! The quickest I ever ran was 7:10 and that was a looooong time ago! Fitness journeys are fun things to concentrate on during sobriety. I'd be totally lost w/out my routine.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 14

Not much to say this morning...

getting ready for the weekend, to hold on, to focus on positive vibes that my sobriety brings into my life...

Feeling anxious and just can't wait to wake up monday morning with the smile on my face saying DAY 17! Made it through this weekend!
I focus on that moment so hard...

Sleeping as been normal last night!!! Is that the end of night sweats and early night insomnia? I hope so!!

Let's keep going... let's stay strong... let's make myself proud once again and stay away from the guilt feeling that was even harder to handle then the hangovers... I remember this feeling so well!!

...I will...
Old 10-03-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Alex

Thanks for your posts and your diary it's brilliant and as given me hope of getting through my first weekend sober in a very long time.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredofme View Post
Hi Alex

Thanks for your posts and your diary it's brilliant and as given me hope of getting through my first weekend sober in a very long time.
I honestly do it to stay strong and I feel alot stronger when my emotions are out of my heart and head...

But if I can inspire others with it... then my battle is even more rewarding!

Thank you for writing this!

And I always hope that my poor english and the fact that my diary thread is popping up once in a while doen't botter people...
Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Nice work mate. In my experience around Day 14 is when it gets really tough. Hang in there, one day at a time, moment by moment.

What's wrong with your back? I have lower back problems too which def frustrate my progress @ the gym.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Wow well done on making through 2 weeks that's fantastic! I only made it to day 8 then had a couple of relapses and now on day 2 again. Weekends aren't any different to the rest of the week for me as I drank at home every day but last night went to a friends for movie night and watched two films sober which was great as I stayed awake and can remember what happened in the films! You're doing great and I know you can get through the rest of this weekend. Loved what you wrote about your little girl, so sweet keep going!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I've tried moderating. The only way I would be able to do it is if I got a couple 24 oz beers right before the stores close. Otherwise I'd keep on going back for more once the buzz kicked in. It doesn't help they're right around the corner.

Then going out for drinks, forget it. I could limit myself at the restaurant or bar to one or two, but then on the way home I'd have to get something to finish the job. Parties. lol. Blackout time.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

D.15

Note to myself on this diary.... and to others that may be involved into fitness or a sport, or some kind of sustained physical activity and just can't wait to see what sobriety will bring to there performances..... well, today, this morning, for the first time since I'm sober (DAY 15 TODAY) I had a tremendous difference in muscle endurance and cardiovascular endurance, even if the strenght looks the same as before... I felt it a little this week, I was feeling stronger and more concentrated in my trainings, but didn't had the time to test my limits like I did this morning...

Wow!! Just wow!! Completed an amazing 3 hrs workout (1hrs stairmaster interval training, 1hr standing spinner bike at 70 r.p.m and 1hr weight lifting) I felt the energy charging through my veins and muscles, my heart was racing and asking for more... crazy crazy feeling! Haven't felt that good in a while! (note that I don't take any cafein or other supplements, but I did had about 3 cups of green tea before... as I always do)

I'm honestly feeling like I could go all day long today!!!

Loving it!