Notices

Day 17

Old 09-20-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17

Today is my 17th day sober. I'm very proud of myself and feel amazing!

I have realized however that I'm creeping up to my point in sobriety where I begin to forget the consequences of drinking. I feel like this attempt at sobriety is different as I have a solid plan, but I thought I would ask any way.

What do you do when a bad alcohol craving hits you? (I already know to go to a meeting, I'm curious how you stay strong in your mind and not give in)

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Justin,
I just wanted to say good going, on Day 17!

Happy for you... you can do this!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats justin! 17 days is wonderfule! Are u actually jumping into the big book? Working on the steps? Going to meetings isn't the only part of the program. Get on the phone tell people where you are mentally. Feeling strong, weak, etc.

I struggled a lot in the last couple days and it sucked, but I woke up sober. And that's what counts best wishes
Old 09-20-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Justin, day 33 here and it would have been around 60 but for a brief binge... Point is that we all get to a point where we feel good and think we can moderate. That is your addictive voice lying to you.

One thing I do is play the tape all the way through. Sure, you may be able to handle moderating a few times, but you and I both know what eventually happens. Blackout, shame and crippling regret. Just Realize you are missing nothing. Build the new sober you, alcohol is not cool, does not relax you and steals hours and hours from your life.

The craving is your addiction talking, not the you that joined this site in the first place. Keep your eye on the new person you want to be this time next year. How cool will that be? Remember, anyone can pour poison down their throat, but very few have the guts and resolve to kick it to the curb. Go have some sober fun with head held high this weekend!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 17 Justin.

I never gave in because I'd decided that giving in was simply a luxury I couldn't afford anymore.

It might be uncomfortable for a while...but I had faith when people told me there was no feeling or situation I couldn't get through sober, & they were right

I'm telling you the same now - take drinking off the table as an option - no matter what.

There are things that help. Coming here is a great thing to do - before it's too late. AA is great too for a lot of people.

I'm sure you've seen this link before too - I found a lot of success with urge surfing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Go on Justin well done friend amzing news !!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You're doing great! I can complete relate to forgetting how I felt when I was at my lowest. I tried quitting (kind of) once before, and only lasted 8 months because I romanticized drinking rather than seeing it for what it was and is: Extremely dangerous to me as an alcoholic. One of the things that is helping me so far (only Day 3 here, so take it with a grain of salt) is posting my story here so I can re-read it whenever I'm tempted: Despair, terror, hopelessness. Good luck, you can do this. :-)
Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are also one of the longest sober today in these parts being up at 2:52. Keep the memory fresh homie!