Notices

15 Months sober! Return to caffeine.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 Months sober! Return to caffeine.

Today it day 455 sober from alcohol for me and it has been a strange period lately. I did the same thing with caffeine again, quit all caffeine for 100 days even and today decided to go back to it. To be honest, I think I was suffering mentally without the caffeine. Now I'm also 21 days off nicotine. It doesn't appear to bother me anymore.

So I suppose this is steady progress. Thanks SR for being there during the good and the bad times. This has been invaluable support indeed.

The caffeine I will keep using since it REALLY appears to help. Not sure exactly why, but it would be interesting to hear some comments from other people who've tried abstaining from caffeine. I've done it twice for 100 days both times, avoiding all caffeine during those times. How did you think about the caffeine?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I struggle with alcohol.

But I don't drink anything with caffeine or use nicotine. I wish you the best, my friend, but I have no advice.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No nicotine, but I drink coffee. I switched to decaf. Which still has caffeine in it, for those of you who don't know LOL. Most brands have about 25% the amount of caffeine... and I love coffee so much I figured I'll just go with the decaf and probably wind up getting a decent amount of caffeine anyway. Works for me.
I harbor a secret hatred for people who own those little one-cup coffee brewers. I would never brew one cup of coffee. That was 8th grade.

I've had some pretty substantial periods of sobriety, up to about 10 months, but I just can't go caffeine-free.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
...quit all _______ for 100 days even and today decided to go back to it. To be honest, I think I was suffering mentally without the __________.
Over the years on SR, I have read the same statement, in one form or another, with the blanks filled in with any number of substances.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Why are you so hell-bent on quitting coffee? Is it causing social, financial, or health problems?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with 3arai - (what? one cup? who drinks one cup?) except mine is high-test. I stop drinking it after 11 a.m. and no problems.

Congrats on 455 sober days, UB; be proud, be very proud.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Re-post... Dr. Kevin Mccauley touches on both Nicotine and caffeine, something to think about at the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz6...F1H2M7bRzU_w7Q
Old 09-20-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on the nicotine (and alcohol)--I'm lovin' my caffeinated beverages for now.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi im 14 months sober i have a balanced diet if that helps ?

15 months is amazing i am day 435 today

you are doing amazing
Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a hard time the first 100 days off of anything that I've quit. It takes some time for the brain to adjust. If being sober long term was the same as the first 100 days, I don't think you would find anybody with 5 years sober.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, and way to go on 15 months sober! Well done!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Caffeine. Yeah, I have one to three cups of half-caf coffee in the mornings.

Usually two cups of green tea per day. It is a double edged sword. It definitely helps with focus temporarily, but gives me headaches. I'm on the fence about caffeine, but I don't use that much of it and it affects me.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I won't give up my coffee! I don't over do it though. I One 20oz thermal cup from home over 3 hrs at work most mornings. After that it's herbal teas and seltzer. I only drink more coffee when meeting up with a friend at a café, can't do the bar anymore!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Unix - wonderful job on reaching 15 months.

I didn't drink caffeine in the early months of quitting because I was already jittery enough. I missed it and started drinking it again & had no troubles - long as I don't over do it, as Pumpkinny said.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't have enough posts to put a quote with the link...
Blood500 that is an excellent video.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been unsuccessfully trying to quit caffeine on the theory that it is messing with my nerves, adding to my anxiety and stress, contributing to over production of cortisol, increasing my heart rate and generally underpinning a cycle of insomnia and fatigue.

Trouble is, I really like coffee and all the ritual and social aspects of it. Also - I suspect I'm addicted. Also, trying to quit results in horrible headaches....

What were your 100days like? Did you find lower stress? Better sleep? Increased energy? I'm assuming the benefits you noticed were not sufficient to make up for the downsides...
Old 09-20-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
The caffeine I will keep using since it REALLY appears to help. Not sure exactly why, but it would be interesting to hear some comments from other people who've tried abstaining from caffeine.
The reason it seems to help is because it blocks adenosine, and increases dopamine and serotonin. These are all neurotransmitters in the brain. Once downside is adrenal fatigue, and subsequent cravings for more caffeine and/or sugar.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I need my morning coffee to feel normal usually 2 hot steaming cups. I usually have a cup when I go to AA meetings after work even though it tastes like burnt soup there..I think they use Folgers (yuck)... I can't imagine giving the little bean up. But I said the same thing about drinking. I'm thankful I gave up smoking with so little trouble. I only smoked when I drank - it went well with drinking as a booster to my high. Coffee also allowed me to stay awake while drinking late. I guess that is why Red Bull and Vodka are so popular. Can you imagine drinking a 20oz Red Bull...wow.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi UnixBer, congratulations on 15 months sober.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I've been unsuccessfully trying to quit caffeine on the theory that it is messing with my nerves, adding to my anxiety and stress, contributing to over production of cortisol, increasing my heart rate and generally underpinning a cycle of insomnia and fatigue.
And
Why are you so hell-bent on quitting coffee? Is it causing social, financial, or health problems?
I tried quitting caffeine twice for the simple reason that I wanted to see how it would impact my moods and overall wellbeing. I thought it might lessen stress etc. And now that the thing of nerves is mentioned, I don't really know why but for some reason I feel as if caffeine actually helps repair my nerves. Like it's helping with the nerves, their recovery. Strange but so it appears.

I suppose caffeine is still a drug, although milder than alcohol or nicotine. I'm not a chemist or doctor so I really can't tell what is what. Thanks for the supportive replies.