Notices

15 nights sober

Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 nights sober

I'm new to the site. And new to being sober. After nearly 10 years of alcohol abuse, I got medically detoxed and am very excited to be 15 nights sober. Alcohol was like my best friend and that so called friend nearly ruined my life and everything in it. Always there to take the edge off of reality whether it be a celebration, a bad day, or the infamous Sunday Funday.
These 2 weeks sober have given me a new clarity I do not want to lose. I'm going to a couple AA meetings a week. Probably should do more. Also in counseling and seeing a health coach. I have fought the urge especially this week to drink. Just a couple beers to see if I could do it. Curious if anyone had these thoughts early on in their sobriety and things you did to stay strong. How have you handled social situations where alcohol is there? Or dinners? Have you tried NA beers or is that a slippery slope? The holidays will be here soon and there's always an excuse but I am committed to staying sober.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations CEO - and welcome! It's great that you found us.

You have good plans in place, and I think being here will be very helpful too. You're with people who understand. Well done on your 15 sober nights.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice job CEO, its a great feeling.

You'll hear lots of feedback regarding "just trying one or two beers"/moderation and being able to handle parties or other gatherings that involve alcohol early in Sobriety. I'm not you, I wont tell you one way or the other.

For me, my Sobriety is a forever thing. I cannot moderate, and I won't try anymore, its pointless for me. Parties? Been to a couple gatherings involving alcohol in my 4 months, and there is only so much social time I can take. I prefer to say hi and bye, especially if there's drunkedness, not so much social drinking. Dinners don't bother me, I like food better .

I don't like NA beer...its not even truly 0% ABV.

Good luck to you!

Bunnez
Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you and well done 15 nights
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CEOofMe View Post
I have fought the urge especially this week to drink. Just a couple beers to see if I could do it. Curious if anyone had these thoughts early on in their sobriety and things you did to stay strong.
I ASSURE you that if you sit down to try "a couple of beers" you will end up stinking drunk and wake up in the morning feeling hungover, guilty, and depressed. At least that was my experience, and if you read some of the threads here, the overwhelming result of others.

Get familiar with the term Alcoholic Voice (AV). You will hear it often. I have been sober 4 years, and it still sings in my ear sometimes.

You are in a good place here, lots of support, always some to listen.

As far as dealing with social situations where alcohol is present, different people deal with it in different ways. Lost of threads here about that very subject. I personally found it easiest to tell my still drinking friends when they pushed a beer at me, "No, stopping for a while." When asked "Why?", I would say, "Just had enough for a while" No saying I had a problem, never used the term alcoholic, just said no. But it IS a difficult situation.

Last edited by NorMar; 09-19-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling