Notices

In need of some serious wisdom here

Old 09-19-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

“The battle you are going through is not fueled by the words or actions of others; it is fueled by the mind that gives it importance.” ― Shannon L. Alder
Old 09-19-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you so much SoberComposer. That's something very interesting to work on...to build a strong and respectful relationship with myself...I never thought about it that way. Now where do I start...?
Thank you!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When you imagine those 6-year-olds, don't forget yourself and treat that child with love and compassion too. Take good care of yourself. Start by doing something kind for yourself every day.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cecilia44 View Post
“The battle you are going through is not fueled by the words or actions of others; it is fueled by the mind that gives it importance.” ― Shannon L. Alder
I love that. God bless you Cecilia.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
When you imagine those 6-year-olds, don't forget yourself and treat that child with love and compassion too. Take good care of yourself. Start by doing something kind for yourself every day.
You are right Melki...my son is 7 years old...I would never be so harsh on him...Thank you...
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi patricia.

It took me a very long time and a lifetime's worth of heartache to learn that when I was blaming others for my problems, this meant that there was something -- many things, really -- I was very unhappy about within myself.

Blaming works against finding solutions and makes personal growth virtually impossible. I would be nowhere in life had I not learned the power of nurturing mutually supportive relationships.

You're only 46. There's plenty of time for you to live a very good life.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Onward, patricia! Sounds like you've had a breakthrough and are ready to turn a corner. Best wishes on being the person you'd like to be and choosing to live a good life.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I guess I'm gonna be that guy.

Many of the 12 steps deal with forgiveness, dealing with the past, and moving on. It's a roadmap to getting over the very things you mentioned.

Why not check out a meeting?
Old 09-19-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I guess I'm gonna be that guy.

Many of the 12 steps deal with forgiveness, dealing with the past, and moving on. It's a roadmap to getting over the very things you mentioned.

Why not check out a meeting?
I live in a rural area, a beautiful little town but it's in the middle of nowhere. No AA meetings in my area. The closest one is an hour away and I don't drive.

I know 12Step.org has some free Worksheets online. I would love if you could show me where to start to work on forgiveness DoubleBarrel . Or is it mandatory to start with Step 1? (Step 2 is what made me run away from the Big Book in the past )
Old 09-19-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hi patricia.

It took me a very long time and a lifetime's worth of heartache to learn that when I was blaming others for my problems, this meant that there was something -- many things, really -- I was very unhappy about within myself.
Yes! I think I could write a whole book about the things I am not happy about myself right now. But I think I need to forgive myself first. I need to learn (I have no idea how) how to love myself...simple as that. But as long as I keep this self hatred, self blaming behaviour nothing is going to improve...
Old 09-19-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Yes! I think I could write a whole book about the things I am not happy about myself right now. But I think I need to forgive myself first. I need to learn (I have no idea how) how to love myself...simple as that. But as long as I keep this self hatred, self blaming behaviour nothing is going to improve...
It helps me to check in with myself many times throughout the day. In addition to being mindful about alcohol, this habit is now evolving into being mindful about other things, including my thoughts and reactions. Have you ever tried meditation?
Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I've been in your same position. I had a lightening bolt moment when i found myself building up more resentments against my sister. I was mad. Not just mad, but full of "justified anger." She was wrong, i was right and i sat in judgment of her. This time, i sent a quick message off to my sponsor. Something along the lines of "my sister is really helping me with my fourth step right now." If you're not familiar with the Fourth Step, it's one where we list our resentments. I figured my anger was fine because i was right, she was wrong and i won. My sponsor's response was "and what's your role in this."

So i contemplated this for a few minutes. Then, it hit me.

I am not my sister's judge.

Who am i to judge? More importantly, what did my judgment do for my relationship with my sister, my relationship with myself and my relationship with my Higher Power? It caused nothing but harm. I then wondered about how i could change my relationship with her. I suddenly thought, "how can i help her?"

I found a way that i could quickly help her. My relationship change right then. I moved from a place of anger and judgment to one of helpfulness and cooperation. I found it hard to be angry with someone i wanted to help. I still have some resentments with her but my new relationship and interactions are ones where i help her. I actually want to help her!

This is something that i've been using in my life every day. When i get resentful of someone at work, i throw myself into helping them. When my husband gets on my last nerve, i try to help him. Not only does it change my relationship with them, it makes me happier about who i am becoming. I work on helping without expecting anything in return. If i don't expect anything, i am not disappointed. I'm far from perfect in this but i'm making great progress.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I live in a rural area, a beautiful little town but it's in the middle of nowhere. No AA meetings in my area. The closest one is an hour away and I don't drive.

I know 12Step.org has some free Worksheets online. I would love if you could show me where to start to work on forgiveness DoubleBarrel . Or is it mandatory to start with Step 1? (Step 2 is what made me run away from the Big Book in the past )
Big book http://2travel.org/Files/AA/BigBook.pdf

The steps are meant to be done in order. I highly recommend a sponsor to do them with you.

If you ran away from step 2, you are being hypersensitive to the mention of a higher power. I'm atheist, but there are many many things more powerful than myself. Nature, the group, you can say this website if you want. Don't get all hung up on that and allow it to interfere with a program that can help you a lot. I did and I was miserable for a long time.

Read chapter 3 and chapter 5. For starters.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I would contact the office nearest you, someone can help you out and perhaps of you can't make a meeting, they will find a way to communicate with you.

Alcoholics Anonymous : List of General Service Conference Area Web Sites (US/Canada)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm with DoubleBarrel. Contact your nearest intergroup and ask about how you can get to a meeting. You may be absolutely amazed at the lengths sober alcoholics will go to to bring the message to a suffering alcoholic. It's part of our steps. Heck, it's the primary purpose of every group! You are an important part of someone else's recovery, not just your own. The hand oof recovery is there if you reach out for it. We are responsible for that.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I would contact the office nearest you, someone can help you out and perhaps of you can't make a meeting, they will find a way to communicate with you.

Alcoholics Anonymous : List of General Service Conference Area Web Sites (US/Canada)

It may well be that there are AA people living in your area looking for someone to converse with or meet up with. Heck if there are a couple of us in your proximity that’s a great way to start a meeting. A meeting can consist of 2 or more people getting together and sharing their experience, strength and hope. It does not have to be big and organized. If you call AA and explain your situation perhaps they may give some helpful suggestions to get a few people together.

AA is about people helping people.

BE WELL
Old 09-20-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
Have you ever tried meditation?
I have and it was really helpful. I'm not sure if I was doing it the "right" way though. I just meditated with Youtube guided meditation videos.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I've been in your same position. I had a lightening bolt moment when i found myself building up more resentments against my sister. I was mad. Not just mad, but full of "justified anger." She was wrong, i was right and i sat in judgment of her. This time, i sent a quick message off to my sponsor. Something along the lines of "my sister is really helping me with my fourth step right now." If you're not familiar with the Fourth Step, it's one where we list our resentments. I figured my anger was fine because i was right, she was wrong and i won. My sponsor's response was "and what's your role in this."

So i contemplated this for a few minutes. Then, it hit me.

I am not my sister's judge.

Who am i to judge? More importantly, what did my judgment do for my relationship with my sister, my relationship with myself and my relationship with my Higher Power? It caused nothing but harm. I then wondered about how i could change my relationship with her. I suddenly thought, "how can i help her?"

I found a way that i could quickly help her. My relationship change right then. I moved from a place of anger and judgment to one of helpfulness and cooperation. I found it hard to be angry with someone i wanted to help. I still have some resentments with her but my new relationship and interactions are ones where i help her. I actually want to help her!

This is something that i've been using in my life every day. When i get resentful of someone at work, i throw myself into helping them. When my husband gets on my last nerve, i try to help him. Not only does it change my relationship with them, it makes me happier about who i am becoming. I work on helping without expecting anything in return. If i don't expect anything, i am not disappointed. I'm far from perfect in this but i'm making great progress.
By helping others you help yourself...I love that. Thank you DisplacedGRITS
Old 09-20-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Big book http://2travel.org/Files/AA/BigBook.pdf

The steps are meant to be done in order. I highly recommend a sponsor to do them with you.

If you ran away from step 2, you are being hypersensitive to the mention of a higher power. I'm atheist, but there are many many things more powerful than myself. Nature, the group, you can say this website if you want. Don't get all hung up on that and allow it to interfere with a program that can help you a lot. I did and I was miserable for a long time.

Read chapter 3 and chapter 5. For starters.
I will do that. Thank you so so much DoubleBarrel!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. Maybe I just have to forgive myself first, right? Learn how to love this little messed up person first...?
This is exactly what I was going to say. For me though I was the hardest to forgive. It took lots & lots & lots of time in a therapists office & working those steps.

Good luck to you. We're here with & for you!